• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2021 at 8:12 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

It is unusual to see so many at once. Unfortunately, this particular sale came about because the owner died.

It will happen again, for sure, though.

Original owner intact Silver Age collections are becoming fewer with each passing year.

Would you ever think of taking the plunge Albert? The Tatlock Collection has a ring to it. 

Let's say that a buyer is willing to pay £100 tops for an item.

Because of the buyer's commission, he has to stop bidding at £75 hammer price.

The auction house then takes 20% of the hammer price, £15, so the vendor receives £60.

Furthermore, the buyer, unless he lives locally,  has to consider how much it will cost him to have the goods delivered. Most auctioneers do not do in-house packing (A & G do not), so they farm the job out to a third party, who add quite a slice to the total.

So the £60 will only apply in ideal circumstances, it is often less. I recently sold some stuff by auction in Sheffield, and the total was split 70/30 in favour of the auctioneer.

It was dross I wanted to clear, but even so, that is an eye-opener. They charged me listing fees and added VAT to everything they could think of.

I have been selling off my "Second Childhood" collection* for the last few years. The family wouldn't have a clue what to do.

*I rediscovered comics in the mid 80s( when I was in my 30s) when I stumbled across a comic mart in Leeds. I had over 22 long boxes of Silver and Bronze by the late 90s when I came to my senses. Did I ever tell you about the time I ... No, better not.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Would you ever think of taking the plunge.

Best thing to do if you spot the Grim Reaper before he spots you is to convert everything you have to cash. Sell your house and rent it back.

Convert all the cash to nice compact Krugerrands and bestow them on those you consider deserving.

Then when, following your demise, the Chancellor comes calling, intending to use your legacy for worthwhile causes like a retired rear admiral's inflation-proof pension, he will have to look elsewhere.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:29 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Let's say that a buyer is willing to pay £100 tops for an item.

Because of the buyer's commission, he has to stop bidding at £75 hammer price.

The auction house then takes 20% of the hammer price, £15, so the vendor receives £60.

Furthermore, the buyer, unless he lives locally,  has to consider how much it will cost him to have the goods delivered. Most auctioneers do not do in-house packing (A & G do not), so they farm the job out to a third party, who add quite a slice to the total.

So the £60 will only apply in ideal circumstances, it is often less. I recently sold some stuff by auction in Sheffield, and the total was split 70/30 in favour of the auctioneer.

It was dross I wanted to clear, but even so, that is an eye-opener. They charged me listing fees and added VAT to everything they could think of.

I bought some Captain Marvel stuff from some auction house through Saleroom a few years ago and got it at a decent price, not realising that, I had to pay them too, I buy through saleroom from Compal so was used to the fees but these additional fees were eye watering, something like 25% on top of the already 22%, then as they were oversize items, the postage was mad, it really took all of the joy out of it and the Captain Marvel package still sits unopened behind my bookshelves.

I could have easily bought the same things on US ebay, shipped them over and saved probably half my money, never again. 

That said, Anderson and Garland is 3 minutes away from me in the car, however I was still too lazy to go and look at the books today, I regret not at least going to see the X-men #1 that I should have bought :( 

On 11/17/2021 at 8:30 PM, Redshade said:

I have been selling off my "Second Childhood" collection* for the last few years. The family wouldn't have a clue what to do.

*I rediscovered comics in the mid 80s( when I was in my 30s) when I stumbled across a comic mart in Leeds. I had over 22 long boxes of Silver and Bronze by the late 90s when I came to my senses. Did I ever tell you about the time I ... No, better not.

I went to every Leeds Mart at the Griffin for years from 86 onwards so our paths will have crossed, Kev used to go there too.

I was an awkward shy teenager at the time so we probably never spoke 😜

On 11/17/2021 at 9:15 PM, nmtg9 said:

I went to every Leeds Mart at the Griffin for years from 86 onwards so our paths will have crossed, Kev used to go there too.

I was an awkward shy teenager at the time so we probably never spoke 😜

Yes I remember the Griffin Hotel and the sweatbox conditions in summer. Those were the days when a comic mart sold *gasp* comics.
Long gone now of course, pulled down years ago with the rest of Boar Lane. I went to the new venue up at the University a few times but by then it all seemed to be merchandise and I soon stopped going.

I remember Stateside a Tec 27 on the wall, fine minus I think for £15000. Will have been in 89 in the Batman frenzy over the summer. 

I've been to a few of Golden Orbit marts but the choice is smaller and lots of non comic stuff that doesn't interest me anymore. 

On 11/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, nmtg9 said:

I remember Stateside a Tec 27 on the wall, fine minus I think for £15000. Will have been in 89 in the Batman frenzy over the summer. 

I've been to a few of Golden Orbit marts but the choice is smaller and lots of non comic stuff that doesn't interest me anymore. 

Golden Orbit, wow been a long time since I thought of them days.

if I bought too much stuff, I would ring Gez kelly up and he would squeeze me in on a table, if yous were going to the Newcastle mart and an odd Leeds mart in the 80s, I was the guy who would sell everything cheap, then have a half price sale and then give away what I couldnt sell at the end, good times :) 

It's nice listening to the recollections of long term collectors :cloud9:

If A&G follow normal procedure, they should post the auction results at some point showing the prices realised. Here is a previous pence AF15 from 2019 - not in the best shape, but still a decent pre-commission hammer price:

af15.thumb.PNG.0943c510cc738d25377e5e0eb1f8eb74.PNG

When I started this thread is was not supposed to be about money and how much things go for. I wanted to curate what existed and focus on all the wonderful nuances, gaps and differences. But it's hard to ignore what is going on now in the hobby and not comment when the books that you ummed and ahed over at £500 on a dealer's wall not so long ago now will set you back forty grand on a good day.

It does mean that the books are moving out of reach now though, and that makes me a little sad if I'm honest. It's inevitable of course. Anything that people love, and which is in comparatively short supply, will escalate over time, certainly now that there is so much money in the world. With every character from those old books that we collected for a few pennies or pounds getting their own show or film appearance nowadays, even the 'crappy' books of old are now shooting up. 

It's wonderful in one respect, I suppose. But in another, quite sad. Never again will the purchase of an AF#15, or an ASM#1 or even an ASM#50 be an affordable possibility for many. Cents or pence. Where does that leave some of us? At least we are seeing more and more examples now of pricing parity and that does please me having banged the drum for so long. A pence copy is no longer something inferior. It is just as important as its cents cousin. Just infinitely scarcer. And increasingly, now, just as financially valuable.

But an era is over now. There's no two ways about it. I've finally been priced out of the market. 

Pence or/and Cents you just gotta love them.

I should have bought the X-men #1) :frustrated: regrets for not bidding more on it or going to see it in person :( 

Anyway, here are my few meagre wins from yesterday, probably stupid tbh, had to buy two lots just to get a minor upgrade on two or three books, I did get a couple of Pencers out of each though, so all good.

My books on the left with yesterdays wins alongside, spot the difference.

Worth it or not, you decide :) 

P1010010.thumb.JPG.eb61d27344f092c422fa5250c137ecf2.JPGP1010017.thumb.JPG.2c4bc381e919699dd7ab8b25f5718ec1.JPG

P1010016.thumb.JPG.1c79616319c184d94acc99c40a932ddc.JPGP1010021.thumb.JPG.843960d72c5394907f8fcd2eb633ef22.JPG

On 11/18/2021 at 10:34 AM, Kevin.J said:

My books on the left with yesterdays wins alongside, spot the difference.

They all look nice. What are the Penman copies like in the flesh Kev - did the photos do them justice? The X-Men #1 does have an air of double your money next year to it, yes. Not that you'd ever sell it of course, you pathological hoarder you.

On 11/18/2021 at 10:38 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

They all look nice. What are the Penman copies like in the flesh Kev - did the photos do them justice?

Condition wise, 3 of the 12 books I bought are better than my own and will take over in my collection, the rest as ever go onto the duplicates pile :insane:

I didnt really look at anything other than my own wins as they had the area understandably cordoned off, just as well or I may have nicked the X-Men 1 :banana:

On 11/18/2021 at 10:47 AM, Kevin.J said:

Condition wise, 3 of the 12 books I bought are better than my own and will take over in my collection, the rest as ever go onto the duplicates pile mountain :insane:

Repaired that for you :)

Got a box and a half from this sale, mostly obscure DC titles that I foolishly pruned from my collection decades ago.

Rip Hunter, Korak, Rima, etc.

Tried for a couple of others, including FF 2, as my copy is a cents, but had to wave the white flag when it got serious.

Most expensive single item I got was FF7 for £140. A  bargain, I thought, though, and surprised to get it so cheap. Wouldn't have expected to get a cents for that price, let alone the ultra rare pencer.

On 11/18/2021 at 10:51 AM, Kevin.J said:

Yeah, the day will come though, chatted with yesterdays Auctioneer today,

Yes, John seems a nice bloke.

Nice to meet you too, disappointed you hadn't donned the Brown Bottle costume. Maybe it is away for dry cleaning again.

If Brian Sandells (ex of Kard Bar in Arcadia) is still around, give him my regards. Last saw him maybe 7 years back in his relocated premises.

On 11/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

If A&G follow normal procedure, they should post the auction results at some point showing the prices realised

If you check with saleroom. com, all the results are displayed right up to the end of the sale, then they disappear. They had both days on show until the very end.

I have noted the important stuff if anyone needs info.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

AAAAAGGH!!

Just Googled Kard Bar and seen the sad news.

Top bloke, he was one of my best customers. See how you lose touch with the world when you are getting on with your own stuff.

Very, very sad.

Yeah, this morning you said Kard bar and we were just about to have a conversation about it when John interrupted I think, its funny how you forget things, I was gonna say it had burnt down but I had forgot that Brian was killed :( weird but it seems a lot longer ago than 2015, tbh, I hadnt been in since the old days hanging around in the handyside arcade with my pals, good times long gone.

It was nice to meet you too and glad you had a safe journey home :foryou: