• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2021 at 7:44 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

There is certainly no shortage of speculators driving up the price, but only of certain items.

Hawkman 4 - does anyone believe that there are legions of people who only want that issue, and no other from the Hawkman run?

Ditto Detective 359 and, especially, tales To Astonish 13. Before the film, that was priced the same as 12 and 14, now it has got out of reach of most people.

At least it is genuinely scarce, though. Hawkman 4 is not in short supply, and never will be.

And there must be thousands of copies of Spider-Man 300 in circulation.

Beware of tulip fever, just buy the mags you really want and enjoy. Some people will get their fingers burnt before long, I suspect.

Exactly so Albert, exactly so. I started collecting SA comics in the 80s as a grown adult because of a sense of nostalgia for my childhood and the era which I grew up in which I suspect is the reason that many people collect comics and other collectables. When we're gone we're gone. What do the children of the 80s/90s yearn after as a reminder of their long lost happy days?

Something to look forward to, a bit of excitement.

Sad isn't it what we oldies have come to. Bidding on old bits of paper. The other day I won these ten comics for a massive £2 starting bid. The cowboy comics will end up in the recycling as soon as they arrive. The others (and that mountain in the spare bedroom) will end up in the recycling when I kick the bucket as I can't get my nearest and dearest to show the slightest intesrest in my collection/burden. 

Surely valiues of AF15 must have peaked as there are now hundreds in CGC capsules. No encapsulated WDL cowboy comics that I'm aware of as their time has passed (My dad would have loved them though....).

crap comics.jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 8:17 PM, themagicrobot said:

Sad isn't it what we oldies have come to. Bidding on old bits of paper. The other day I won these ten comics for a massive £2 starting bid. The cowboy comics will end up in the recycling as soon as they arrive. The others (and that mountain in the spare bedroom) will end up in the recycling when I kick the bucket as I can't get my nearest and dearest to show the slightest intesrest in my collection/burden. 

Surely valiues of AF15 must have peaked as there are now hundreds in CGC capsules. No encapsulated WDL cowboy comics that I'm aware of as their time has passed (My dad would have loved them though....).

crap comics.jpg

Has the Mad House got a Miller price stamp by any chance?

On 12/16/2021 at 8:17 PM, themagicrobot said:

Surely valiues of AF15 must have peaked as there are now hundreds in CGC capsules.

And the 3.6 bazillion sesterses 9.6 one has a shard of rogue plastic in the slab and a dented top too. Give me the 6d western rags any day :bigsmile:

Has the Mad House got a Miller price stamp by any chance?

It's a June 1963 issue. If it has a Miller stamp them my £2 will have been almost justified. Not so long ago I would have paid 50p for the annual at a Jumble sale. 6d for the Thorpe and Porter comic at a Market stall and maybe 50p for the old Archie at a Comic Mart. The rest is landfill as is the thousands of Victor comics no one can sell on eeBay.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:37 PM, themagicrobot said:

It's a June 1963 issue. If it has a Miller stamp them my £2 will have been almost justified.

It's in the window :wishluck:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/434662-archie-uk-price-variants/?do=findComment&comment=11895531

Not so long ago I would have paid 50p for the annual at a Jumble sale. 6d for the Thorpe and Porter comic at a Market stall and maybe 50p for the old Archie at a Comic Mart. The rest is landfill as is the thousands of Victor comics no one can sell on eeBay.

As Bucks Fizz once sang, "Now...those... days... are... gone...."

It's a June 1963 issue. If it has a Miller stamp them my £2 will have been almost justified. Not so long ago I would have paid 50p for the annual at a Jumble sale. 6d for the Thorpe and Porter comic at a Market stall and maybe 50p for the old Archie at a Comic Mart. The rest is landfill as is the thousands of Victor comics no one can sell on eeBay.

Sixpence? Sixpence! Fer a bit o' budgie cage lining ? When ah worra lad I could've fed all family for a week, been down t'pub evry neet and bowt missen a new Sunday Suit and still had change out o't' tanner. You try telling...

On 12/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, Redshade said:

Sixpence? Sixpence! Fer a bit o' budgie cage lining ? When ah worra lad I could've fed all family for a week, been down t'pub evry neet and bowt missen a new Sunday Suit and still had change out o't' tanner. You try telling..

So now there are five Yorkshiremen.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:26 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I was disappointed to miss out on this lot in the A&G auction yesterday

I know the feeling.

I left on commission what I felt was a perfectly reasonable amount on the boxful of fanzines, but watched from the sidelines as the price rapidly ascended the peaks, leaving my paltry bid marooned in the foothills.

Final price £1,300 plus premium, say £1,600 ish.

A very interesting lot, and one which we will not see the like of for a long time., I reckon.

Early fan involvement needs more research, I think, we cannot rely entirely on 50 years old memories, so it would be great to see a good run of mags like that.

I also bid on the cartons of catalogues, etc, but that too went too high for me (and there were about a dozen boxes).

On 12/17/2021 at 5:33 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Early fan involvement needs more research, I think, we cannot rely entirely on 50 years old memories, so it would be great to see a good run of mags like that.

It's a killer isn't it. You'd just have to hope that they went to someone who would know what to do with them, and who would share any findings. Maybe that chap who puts old fanzines online. 

On 12/19/2021 at 11:43 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

someone who would know what to do with them

Like split them up and list on ebay, BIN 50 quid each such is the way of the world.

Some of those early Fantasy Advertisers etc are next to impossible to find, (and there were also different mags in there)

I subscribed from number 8 onwards, and I wish I had asked Frank Dobson about back issues at the time.

Toby's 126 IS a very early Thor, being the first issue where they dropped the Journey into Mystery logo but "acceptable" seems to be the new catch-all term for Silver Age comics on eBay that are in so poor condition that they want chucking in the bin, not selling for £80.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334047299686?hash=item4dc6c54866:g:aycAAOSwMz9gz0Me

126.jpg

On 1/2/2022 at 10:16 AM, themagicrobot said:

126.jpg

Was Toby’s a chain of shops? We had a Tobys book shop in Gloucester in 70s and 80s which sold new and second hand comics. Perhaps coincidence that this has been stamped Tobys or perhaps it passed through the shop in Gloucester?

Oh...a Toby's variant. Then perhaps it is worth £80. 9_9 Plus what is going on with all the hatching effects on Thor and Herc's skin? I know different scanners and printers can reproduce colours differently but the Toby's comic above looks quite different to others currently for sale or this one.  

126 british.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

On 1/4/2022 at 3:49 AM, Nick H (UK) said:

For those interested the AF15 from the Penman auction has been graded as a 4.5 White Pages.

and includes the following description, "Hi Ian, Excelsior! Stan Lee 76" written on Page 1 in marker

Specifically wanted a pence copy and the Stan Lee signature got me a bit carried away. It looked great in the flesh, but I am delighted with 4.5 - high end of my estimate

Will post a pic when I get the comic in my hands. Off abroad for a month, so it'll be when I get back.

IMG_7882.jpeg

Congrats on the win and the grade. I was out on this book very early on, but still managed to score some others. Some of the books I got in the Penman Collection were in great condition and I'm selecting my best CGC submissions. Will post some examples images shortly.

Got a bit carried away in the auction, but that's the way it goes sometimes!

I picked quite a few books up as well and a few are still at CGC. Overall quality was pretty good. Mostly decent mid-grade books. Will post when I get them back. Lot of interest in that auction. What a collection he had!

All the best