• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, gadzukes said:

That 7.0 is Sweet.  I got mine back out to double check the Pin-Up page after seeing the Green Label.  It's got it.

That's good news! had the same problem with FF issue 2 but came back as a Blue 0.5 (who knows?)

On 8/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, Redshade said:

What is going on with the "d" in the price box?

A jot of interference....

Capture.PNG.5b2ca5a11f95a6618e6ed6f6f451ae51.PNG Capture2.PNG.990d0d0ec6de758b411e96023a52aed8.PNG

On 8/18/2021 at 3:26 AM, Redshade said:

What is going on with the "d" in the price box?

As cool as it would have been to have that printing error on a UKPV of a key no less, my book’s “d” is normal.  Can’t explain that portion of the original posted image above.   Thank you for pointing it out before the book went back into hiding, so I could check quickly.  (thumbsu

9d.jpeg.a9d99f4fe2fa9c09be36b7a31e01f14a.jpeg

Edited by Pantodude
better pic

On 8/9/2021 at 8:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Amazing when you think of it. Until I came along, not one person on Earth had ever established how many publishers produced UKPVs, let alone fully document their issue ranges. Tis a niche market for sure....

1. Archie UK Price Variants - 24 confirmed issues 
  2. Charlton UK Price Variants - 567 confirmed issues
  3. DC UK Price Variants - 840 confirmed issues 
  4. Dell UK Price Variants - 219 confirmed issues
  5. Gold Key UK Price Variants - 122 confirmed issues
  6. King UK Price Variants - 22 confirmed issues
  7. Marvel UK Price Variants - 3,023 confirmed issues 

The amount of sheer hard graft that has gone into this subject is phenomenal.

The true measure of the labour involved is shown most in tracking down the early issues of 1960 and 1961, some of which are almost impossible to find, so full credit for identifying the stubborn last handful of the elusive little critters and dragging them at long last into the light of day.

Without your work, there would still be deep ignorance, especially on the other side of the pond, of the true status of the UKPVs, now acknowledged as genuine first printings. Looking back, I can see that it was a hard slog to convert the doubters, but any remaining still holding out are the flat-earthers in this field.

I have said this before, but it needs saying again, I think.

Comrade Stakhanov doffs his cap to you, and so do I. We here are all in your debt.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:41 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

The amount of sheer hard graft that has gone into this subject is phenomenal.

The true measure of the labour involved is shown most in tracking down the early issues of 1960 and 1961, some of which are almost impossible to find, so full credit for identifying the stubborn last handful of the elusive little critters and dragging them at long last into the light of day.

Without your work, there would still be deep ignorance, especially on the other side of the pond, of the true status of the UKPVs, now acknowledged as genuine first printings. Looking back, I can see that it was a hard slog to convert the doubters, but any remaining still holding out are the flat-earthers in this field.

I have said this before, but it needs saying again, I think.

Comrade Stakhanov doffs his cap to you, and so do I. We here are all in your debt.

That's very kind of you Antoni, thank you. I may have just missed out on a further Archie UKPV tonight funnily enough - a hidden book, just the edge showing, possibly a 9d, but I was outbid. I've sent a message to the seller regardless - hopefully they'll be kind enough to confirm (although you know me - no image, no confirmation!).

I haven't been posting much lately as I have been reorganising my comic files and reworking a lot of the folder contents. I plan to completely rewrite and update all my journal pages - I mentioned that before I think, but it takes so much time. And I know I keep saying this, but I have so much Charlton UK stuff to post I think I could fill a hundred page thread without scratching the surface. Wish me luck there.

Thanks again mate - praise embarrasses me, even though I may occasionally fish for it (look at my f:censored:ing pence variant post!), but it is gratifying when people comment favourably on what you do.

Cheers Tatlock - there's a pint in't Rovers with your name on it :tink: (Newton Ringley :grin:

On 8/18/2021 at 10:18 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Newton and Ridley, please!

If you have never supped one of their pints, you have never lived.

Newton Ring joke, Albert, in case you've not heard of them :grin:

On 8/18/2021 at 10:21 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Newton Ring joke, Albert, in case you've not heard of them :grin:

When I first read your post, I thought that was a really clever remark or....possibly a chance mistake like AT thought, glad to see you are as sharp and witty as ever lol

On 8/16/2021 at 8:09 PM, Kevin.J said:

I have been collecting for 50 years and still havent seen even mid-grade copies of certain books.

As kids we took comics to school and swapped them, read them in bed, the bath etc, 

The fact that they are a smaller print run with sketchy distribution and mostly not looked after, means its a tough ask to find decent copies.

I agree that a lot of collectors are finally coming around to realizing what they are and the scarcity of them, so now is the time to go for it, good luck in the hunt :wishluck:

Kev,

To add, a lot of the paper material exported to the UK from the USA was deemed ship ballast, so was not treated at all well. So getting silver age pence books in grades higher than VF is difficult. As you said the market is seeing a shift in the value of pence copies, and luckily for us (in the UK) a lot of UK collectors still turn their noses up at them - so more for us true connoisseurs. 

On 8/19/2021 at 1:22 PM, Waylander said:

Kev,

To add, a lot of the paper material exported to the UK from the USA was deemed ship ballast, so was not treated at all well. So getting silver age pence books in grades higher than VF is difficult. As you said the market is seeing a shift in the value of pence copies, and luckily for us (in the UK) a lot of UK collectors still turn their noses up at them - so more for us true connoisseurs. 

Hi Brian :hi:

Yeah tbh I cant even remember the last time I bought a Silver age or later book in the UK, Pence or Cents, I only need Showcase 4 and that ship has sailed, so I dont even look anymore.

I used to be upgrading all the time, but now I never even look at my own copies.

I am a bit disillusioned with it all atm, feel like offloading the lot lol 

On 8/19/2021 at 1:22 PM, Waylander said:

Kev,

If the comics were printed with a UK price then they would have come across as paid for goods in the storage holds. This would be true of all the commercial deals between the US producers and the UK purchasers.

Any comics coming across as "ballast" (if indeed this actually happened) would have been outside of these contracts.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:28 PM, Redshade said:

If the comics were printed with a UK price then they would have come across as paid for goods in the storage holds. This would be true of all the commercial deals between the US producers and the UK purchasers.

The comics I bought from newsagents back in the day were in excellent condition when they first arrived. Wear and tear from a month or so of the laying on of grubby fingers sent them plummeting down the grades. Then, of course, there were the second hand outlets; the books that arrived there were far from pristine, but in those pre-fandom days there was no other way of filling the gaps. I did manage to buy quite a few from a local lad who kept them pretty immaculate, but that was an exception.

Yes Albert, I remember I too acquired most of my early comics second hand. I remember vividly circa 1962/3 when I would have been seven or eight going to my junior school's annual bring and buy sale. The second hand US comics were rolled up in dozens and secured by a rubber band. The comics were totally random with different publishers and genres (and a preponderance of funny animal titles) in the mix.
I used to unroll the bundles and repackage the ones I wanted whilst the stallminders (teachers) were busy elsewhere. The rolls were a shilling so I collected lots of comics for just a penny each (this is when US comics were 9d/10d in the newsagents). There were also church fetes and charity stalls on the local market. Ey when ah warra lad...

Edited by Redshade

On 8/19/2021 at 11:16 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Not me, not by a long chalk. I am OK on Silver Age, but Bronze dried to a trickle, still not bothered with a lot of them, I am definitely a Silver fan.

However, as a kind soul has now given us a target (3023) to aim at, I might have a go.

One stumbling block, though will be FF 1 and 2, both of mine are cents.

Posting the pre-hero Astonish, I have 17 of the available 22. Missing are 14, 21, 26, 28 and 34. In the foolishness of my youth I traded up (so I believed at the time) to cents.

Anyone who can supply the missing quintet will earn my undying gratitude.

I bet we could do the lot between the boardies in this thread.

I could do the FF 1 & 2 and a lot of mainstream titles, but most of my early pre-code are cents I think as I went for superhero stuff as a kid and didnt come back to pre-code until it was way to late :(