• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

471 posts in this topic

On Wednesday, while discussing the release of her new solo single "Bachatica" with Billboard, Leslie Grace opened up about her preparation for her role in Batgirl. The actress and singer revealed that she is training hard for her upcoming movie with her trainer, the notable stunt performer Ming Qiu. Grace says that she hasn't fought before in her life, hence she is practicing regularly to "get her body used to" all the action. She is also putting a lot of research into her character, reading all the comics to familiarize herself with Barbara's history and powers. Additionally, Grace is also taking notes from fans as to what they expect from her character, possibly to include their hopes for Barbara in her performance.

"Lots and lots of training! I’m currently fight-training every day with my amazing “martial arts mom,” Ming Qiu, who cracks the whip! ... I’ve never fought in my life, so we are working really hard every day to get my body used to all the motions! I’m also reading a ton of comics and, believe it or not, keeping my eye out for tweets from our beloved DC comic fans to see what they are excited to see in my iteration of Babs! Research is everything ... I’m so excited to honor this iconic character whose legacy spans over 50 years. It’s a huge responsibility but also an honor -- and I want to do my very best to make sure she gets the best of all I have to give!"

Batgirl on HBO Max will reportedly include "the real Batman" according to the directors of the film. Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah were asked by VRTNWS about which Batman will be a part of the project. They both laughed and just said that it was "the real one". DC Comics would probably approve of that vagueness. The interview then asked about Ben Affleck, who is supposed to appear in The Flash. Bu El Arbi and Fallah quickly pointed out that a lot of actors are Batman right now, and with Michael Keaton back in the saddle for The Flash, it really could be a misdirect. To say nothing of Robert Pattinson's shiny new turn as Bruce Wayne in The Batman next year. However, there are some Internet sleuths that will point out that Affleck's version is the most likely culprit here. But, nothing has been officially announced yet. Fans are hoping that they get some new information about what's to come for Batgirl when DC FanDome gets rolling this weekend.

Leslie Grace is going to be the main character of that film. She's excited to step in and honor the legacy of a fan-favorite hero. Grace told Billboard about it ahead of FanDome.

"Lots and lots of training! I'm currently fight-training every day with my amazing 'martial arts mom,' Ming Qiu, who cracks the whip!" Grace laughed. "I've never fought in my life, so we are working really hard every day to get my body used to all the motions! I'm also reading a ton of comics and, believe it or not, keeping my eye out for tweets from our beloved DC comic fans to see what they are excited to see in my iteration of Babs! Research is everything."

"I'm so excited to honor this iconic character whose legacy spans over 50 years," Grace added. "It's a huge responsibility but also an honor -- and I want to do my very best to make sure she gets the best of all I have to give!"

EXCLUSIVE: Bad Boys For Life breakout Jacob Scipio is set to join Leslie Grace in Warner Bros. and DC Films Batgirl. J.K. Simmons is on also on board to reprise his role of Commissioner Gordon. Grace recently landed the role of Barbara Gordon with Scipio’s Bad Boys For Life directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah helming.

The film will bow on HBO Max, marking one of the first major DC properties to debut exclusively on the streamer. Christina Hodson penned the -script with Kristin Burr producing.

While plot details are under wraps, it is known that Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Commissioner Gordon, will be the character behind the cape in this version. Gordon is the most established version of the Batgirl character and was first introduced in 1961 as Betty Kane. Details behind who Scipio is playing are also unknown.

Barbara Gordon gets a "crazy dark" origin story but "becomes her own hero" when Leslie Grace dons the iconic cape and cowl of Batgirl. The costumed crime-fighting protégé of Batman and the daughter of Gotham City Police Commissioner James Gordon (Justice League's J.K. Simmons), the underestimated but self-determined Barbara Gordon has much to prove when she makes her million-dollar debut in the HBO Max movie from writer Christina Hodson (DC's Birds of Prey, The Flash). Speaking to Elle, the In the Heights star previewed the HBO Max original movie expected to premiere in 2022:  

"I can't say much about what she is going to do, but Batgirl becomes her own hero. [Her origin story] is crazy dark, like a lot of other superheroes, but I like that she becomes Batgirl because she wants to make a difference in the world," Grace said. "She feels like people underestimate her as Barbara Gordon, and I relate to that. I'm the youngest of my siblings and sometimes I still feel like a little kid inside. When I really want to do something, and people underestimate me, I'm like, 'Okay, I'm just going to do it and not say anything about it.'"

"It's that energy of being self-determined," added Grace. "You can't be afraid to be your own hero, and I think girls need to see that. We all need to see characters that are willing to be autonomous." 

On 10/21/2021 at 5:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

This is one of the projects I'm most excited for, but i'm always leary by any mention of things needing to be 'crazy dark' so I hope that this is just hyperbole on her part during interviews.

The Batgirl origin is one of my favourites, as it worked so well because it wasn't a typical dark doom & gloom superhero origin story but rather a very realistic and common occurrence women would encounter when trying to break into male dominated sectors - she just wanted to help people, but was constantly pushed away by those who either didn't think a woman could belong or that shouldn't be there (for a variety of reasons, such as her father not wanting her in 'harms way', but always showing the double standards and sexism rampant in the world).

The disappointment of her being denied her preferred opportunities to help people was crushing and relatable to many, and that is enough to focus on without needing to get 'crazy dark'. Fundamentally it is an origin story built on her initiative and perseverance, and it does sound that is still a part of this origin - but the 'crazy dark, like a lot of other superheroes' part gives me pause.

Edited by Sauce Dog

Batgirl has officially found its latest cast member. On Monday, it was announced that actor Brendan Fraser has been cast in the upcoming film, which will make its debut on the HBO Max streaming service. Reports are indicating that Fraser is portraying DC villain Firefly, who had been rumored to be appearing in the movie in some capacity. Fraser will join Leslie Grace (In the Heights) as Barbara Gordon / Batgirl, with J.K. Simmons expected to return as Commissioner James Gordon, and Jacob Scipio (Bad Boys For Life) cast in a currently-unknown role.

Fraser is no stranger to the DC universe, currently providing the voice of Robotman for HBO Max's Doom Patrol TV show. His filmography also includes The Mummy, George of the Jungle, and Monkeybone.

Good backing cast - esp JK Simmons

I am worried that the heroine has such a shallow CV

As we saw with the dreadful Aussie actress Ruby Rose in Batwoman - doesn't matter how good a concept is - if the lead can't act - then its going to crash and burn.

Her only major role was a musical which was just about OK - but not due to her really - more the complete ensemble.

I don't understand DC's thinking at times - so many ordinary Batman movies - then some great dark ones (latest looks good too)

Some good series - but some truly awful ones.

Hell the latest Wonder Woman was abysmal - and after The Snyder Cut, with Gadot being pretty damn good - why oh why did they do an 80's style movie that was just so cringeworthy that it would actually  have been bad IN the 80's!

When DC do dark movies - they work

When they do G / PG movies - they stink.

This doesn't bode well for me - there are so many stronger female actors out there - and Batgirl is supposed to be a strong character.

Emma Mackey (Sex Education) or even Blu Hunt would have been so much better choices - Millie Bobby Brown even.

Hopefully she surprises and makes Batgirl her own - certainly a potential franchise.

But besides WW - DC don't have a good track record with female characters (Harley Quinn, Birds Of prey etc)

Hoping for best, fearing mediocrity!

On 10/25/2021 at 5:43 PM, Beige said:

But besides WW - DC don't have a good track record with female characters (Harley Quinn, Birds Of prey etc)

Wonder Woman (2017) I would stack against most female-led films. But you can't bank a studio's success on one film.

It's the TV shows where DC female characters have been given a chance to shine.

• Stargirl: I think the one that has really stood out is Stargirl. That show is incredible!
  • Supergirl: Season One was solid. But once it became a CW property, it got watered down rather quickly.
  • Doom Patrol: The female members have been given large portions of episodes dedicated to them, and have strongly delivered every time. So great!
  • HBO's Watchmen:  This was Regina King's moment to shine bright. And that she did. 
  • iZombie: The oddball with a loyal base that at least lasted 5 seasons.

WB Studios needs to make its female movies as strong as some of these candidates. I'm hoping Batgirl will be one of those. :wishluck:

On 10/26/2021 at 9:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

Wonder Woman (2017) I would stack against most female-led films. But you can't bank a studio's success on one film.

It's the TV shows where DC female characters have been given a chance to shine.

• Stargirl: I think the one that has really stood out is Stargirl. That show is incredible!
  • Supergirl: Season One was solid. But once it became a CW property, it got watered down rather quickly.
  • Doom Patrol: The female members have been given large portions of episodes dedicated to them, and have strongly delivered every time. So great!
  • HBO's Watchmen:  This was Regina King's moment to shine bright. And that she did. 
  • iZombie: The oddball with a loyal base that at least lasted 5 seasons.

WB Studios needs to make its female movies as strong as some of these candidates. I'm hoping Batgirl will be one of those. :wishluck:

Regina King was superb. Again DC went 'Dark' - and it worked. Incredibly good show.

Funny you should mention Stargirl - I haven't watched it - but I haven't heard good things - it seemed 'tweeny' - I may try it.

Supergirl - again too tweeny.

Doom Patrol was kinda like Legion - you liked it or hated it.

And speaking of which AUBREY PLAZA would be perfect as Batgirl!

I think Watchmen makes my point well. Batgirl needs to be super dark for it to work :wishluck:

On 10/25/2021 at 5:43 PM, Beige said:

Good backing cast - esp JK Simmons I am worried that the heroine has such a shallow CV As we saw with the dreadful Aussie actress Ruby Rose in Batwoman - doesn't matter how good a concept is - if the lead can't act - then its going to crash and burn. Her only major role was a musical which was just about OK - but not due to her really - more the complete ensemble. I don't understand DC's thinking at times - so many ordinary Batman movies - then some great dark ones (latest looks good too) Some good series - but some truly awful ones. Hell the latest Wonder Woman was abysmal - and after The Snyder Cut, with Gadot being pretty damn good - why oh why did they do an 80's style movie that was just so cringeworthy that it would actually  have been bad IN the 80's! When DC do dark movies - they work When they do G / PG movies - they stink. 

This doesn't bode well for me - there are so many stronger female actors out there - and Batgirl is supposed to be a strong character. Emma Mackey (Sex Education) or even Blu Hunt would have been so much better choices - Millie Bobby Brown even. Hopefully she surprises and makes Batgirl her own - certainly a potential franchise. But besides WW - DC don't have a good track record with female characters (Harley Quinn, Birds Of prey etc) Hoping for best, fearing mediocrity!

FTFY

On 10/25/2021 at 6:10 PM, kimik said:

Firefly is the big bad in the film? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Come On Man Seriously GIF - Come On Man Seriously Oh Yeah GIFs

He and Killer Moth were the villains her her excellent Year One comic, which it sounds like this is all pulling from.

I can totally see them simply cutting Moth and just using Firefly since it would offer more focus and he is visually more interesting (due to all the fire). Firefly as a cinematic villain makes way more sense to me than many other bat-foes.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:44 PM, Sauce Dog said:

He and Killer Moth were the villains her her excellent Year One comic, which it sounds like this is all pulling from.

I can totally see them simply cutting Moth and just using Firefly since it would offer more focus and he is visually more interesting (due to all the fire). Firefly as a cinematic villain makes way more sense to me than many other bat-foes.

1366724514_ScreenShot2020-11-24at8_08_50PM.png.99c4a5677d6f36dc9dc80fd81c163c46.png

On 10/26/2021 at 7:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

Finds out about BATGIRL: YEAR ONE and rushes out to buy up any affordable copies

:baiting:(:

No. I have no clue what issues/series that would be. Even if it spikes a bit, it will be short lived. There are better spec plays right now for DC books.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

She's having a fun time for Halloween while teasing potential fans.

leslie_batgirl.thumb.jpg.9caa16a89377806711caf35e07c2827a.jpg

Yeah, I get that.

It just looks lame - and pointless. I hope the show isn't depending on her to act.

Each to their own - but for me, that was cringeworthy

2c