• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

471 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2022 at 4:06 PM, darkstar said:

How is it ignorant? The movie was so bad they couldn't even sell it as a straight to streaming property, which oddly enough is where Snyder currently finds himself. So yeah the Batgirl movie must have been an abomination. 

(thumbsu

Edited by paperheart

this gives me a John Carter vibe, where the regime changes at the studio and there is no upside to releasing it in the mind of the new heads in charge.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, Bird said:

this gives me a John Carter vibe, where the regime changes at the studio and there is no upside to releasing it in the mind of the new heads in charge.

^^

The new leadership team did not think it was a big enough event movie like they desire for any DC movies moving forward.

I'll post this large enough so even those wearing "Oh Goody More DC News To Pounce On" glasses.

‘Batgirl’ Won’t Fly: Warner Bros. Discovery Has No Plans to Release Nearly Finished $90 Million Film

The leaders of the studio determined ultimately, in spite of reshoots and increased budget, that the movie simply did not work, according to insiders. The new owners and management, led by CEO David Zaslav, are committed to making DC titles big theatrical event films, and “Batgirl” isn’t that. Insiders added that studio brass loves the film’s directors and star, and are actively planning to work with them soon.

Warner Bros. Discovery is working to elevate DC Films to be seen on the big screen. “Batgirl” had not been scripted or produced as a theatrical film.

However, I was also mindful Batgirl was written and produced as a streaming film with a lower budget than a typical theatrical superhero release, which contradicts the incoming owners’ and executive leaderships’ vision to refocus on theatrical productions over streaming, especially for the company’s biggest branded IP. So while my brain said, “take a breath, it’s probably the inevitable delay,” my gut was worried.

And within the hour, the rumors were confirmed — studio leadership decided Batgirl doesn’t feel cinematic enough to be given a theatrical release, and per President and CEO David Zaslav’s vision they are determined not to release major branded IP on the HBO Max streaming platform as lower-budgeted fare. So there are officially no plans to release Batgirl in its present form, and there are no plans or expectations that it will undergo the sort of extensive and expensive rewrites, reworks, and reshoots necessary to transform it into a theatrical production.

The biggest mistake the outgoing exec team made was moving this to a theatrical release because they liked what was being shown. The new leadership doesn't want small productions, even though Zaslav is trying to keep the production budgets down.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:13 PM, Bosco685 said:
  On 3/9/2022 at 12:23 PM, darkstar said:

I'm not incorrect. Snyder was tasked with building the foundations of the DC movie universe. He was given several attempts to jumpstart it and failed. Any attempt to deny this is nothing more than sympathy for his child dying clouding one's ability to assess the situation objectively. IF Snyder was a visionary he would still be the number one guy at Warner Bros. and the Justice League franchise would still be a thing, you wouldn't have Pattinson batman, you wouldn't be needing Keaton batman to save that awful Flash casting, and you would still be getting a movie about Cyborg. Snyder's foray into the DC universe was a total failure. 

Where is the lie?

Justice League bombed so badly they cancelled the sequel, cancelled the Cyborg solo film, Ben Affleck quit playing Batman, the Flash solo film was put on ice for 5 years (and counting) and Snyder himself is nowhere to be seen.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:36 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Where is the lie?

Justice League bombed so badly they cancelled the sequel, cancelled the Cyborg solo film, Ben Affleck quit playing Batman, the Flash solo film was put on ice for 5 years (and counting) and Snyder himself is nowhere to be seen.

Please. You are the last one to act like the 'honest broker' when it comes to Snyder and your plight to save forumites from BVS.

:roflmao:

Zack Snyder's Justice League digital release was such a big hit VUDU noted it was in its Top 5 with all the other news releases the film was mixed in with. Stop yourself, and move past the hate.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:42 PM, Bosco685 said:

Please. You are the last one to act like the 'honest broker' when it comes to Snyder and your plight to save forumites from BVS.

:roflmao:

Zack Snyder's Justice League digital release was such a big hit VUDU noted it was in its Top 5 with all the other news releases the film was mixed in with. Stop yourself, and move past the hate.

And so they rushed right ahead to rehire Snyder, right?

Right?

I also wonder if the movie was an issue as far as brand depreciation.  If the movie was simply "not working", then put in the vault so that the release does not taint viewer opinion on seeing future installments of the property.   If they want to pursue something with the directors and the actors that also seems to be a finger pointed at the -script and the plot of the movie itself. 

I also wonder if Affleck could have had a negative impact on this movie as the new powers that be at Warner Brothers may not want three different Batmen, "Affleck, Patterson, and Keaton" running around on the big screen for too long. 

The news is fresh and everyone here except those that like to troll are merely engaging in speculation as I am.  We shall see over the next few weeks as more news hits. 

Edited by Buzzetta

• Administrator

I am not 100% sure what is going on here but, I want the discussion about this to be civil.  If I have to come back to this thread, I will use the ban from topic tool for anyone that doesn't post in a civil manner.  It really isn't that hard to do.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:53 PM, Gatsby77 said:

There is now a lot of speculation on Twitter that the Blue Beetle and Black Canary projects may be cancelled next, as they likewise may not be big enough "event" films.

Discovery and their scorched earth tactics.  Hopefully paramount will use their Tom cruise money from top gun and buy out DC

On 8/2/2022 at 9:30 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yes that is true... (from a legal standpoint) otherwise they have to pay the taxes back and spend more to release the film.  This must really be a film that in their eyes is not working out. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, Bosco685 said:

^^

The new leadership team did not think it was a big enough event movie like they desire for any DC movies moving forward.

I'll post this large enough so even those wearing "Oh Goody More DC News To Pounce On" glasses.

‘Batgirl’ Won’t Fly: Warner Bros. Discovery Has No Plans to Release Nearly Finished $90 Million Film

But this is all just corporate nonsense though. They aren't beholden to strictly releasing DC movies as event films for the theater. The only reason you don't release a near finished film direct to streaming and elect to take a total loss on it, is because you believe the damage it could do to your already damaged brand is greater than whatever the film would bring in via streaming. And they aren't going to be working with the writers/directors/actress of this film again, despite whatever that press release promises.  

On 8/2/2022 at 5:53 PM, Gatsby77 said:

There is now a lot of speculation on Twitter that the Blue Beetle and Black Canary projects may be cancelled next, as they likewise may not be big enough "event" films.

Zatanna? JL Dark? New Gods? Static Shock?

Edited by paperheart