• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

Ps I know you're much smarter than me and I'm a complete imbecile and stuff but fyi there is no apostrophe in 'Golden Age Archie's'.  The rules for apostrophe usage are fairly simple-if it's a plural, no apostrophe.  Eg books not book's.  If it's a possessive then-apostrophe.  Bill's book.  Also apostrophes are used for contractions to replace the missing letter.  'It is becomes 'it's'.  Hope that helps.  

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Ps I know you're much smarter than me and I'm a complete imbecile and stuff but fyi there is no apostrophe in 'Golden Age Archie's'.  The rules for apostrophe usage are fairly simple-if it's a plural, no apostrophe.  Eg books not book's.  If it's a possessive then-apostrophe.  Bill's book.  Also apostrophes are used for contractions to replace the missing letter.  'It is becomes 'it's'.  Hope that helps.  

Nice try, but

a) I never said I was smarter than you, once again you're trying to manipulate the readers of this with false information

b) I never called you an imbecile, that is YOUR word, nor have I alluded to it... you keep trying to create your own reality here....

and c) when giving out grammar and punctuation advice, it's probably best done without a fair amount of grammar and punctuation errors in your own message.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Nice try, but

a) I never said I was smarter than you, once again you're trying to manipulate the readers of this with false information

b) I never called you an imbecile, that is YOUR word, nor have I alluded to it... you keep trying to create your own reality here....

and c) when giving out grammar and punctuation advice, it's probably best done without a fair amount of grammar and punctuation errors in your own message.

Ever heard of subtext?  

Ps there may be minor blips in grammar if someone is posting and it's not an official document or something important but the misuse of the apostrophe is a major gaffe and there's plenty of websites and memes devoted to it.  And it's such a simple rule.

https://www.google.com/search?q=misuse+of+apostrophe&rlz=1CAACAC_enUS695US696&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim1qDusKfTAhUIslQKHTioB5oQ_AUIBygC&biw=1295&bih=630

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1CAACAC_enUS695US696&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=misuse+of+apostrophe

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Ever heard of subtext?  

Yes, I'm aware of subtext.

The one in particular relating to this topic is YOU quoting me and then saying, "I said it before-if you don't get it you don't get it.  Everyone else does. "

Which is alluding to the notion that I AM NOT as smart as you and everyone else.

You stated this twice.

By including 'Everyone else does', you are specifically trying to point out that you think I'm not as smart as everyone else when it comes to this topic.

I in turn point out that I don't know what 'everyone' else thinks, but that YOU, specifically, just YOU, don't get what it is I am trying to say.

Not shaming you, by saying 'everyone' else gets it... I was just saying that what I am saying, YOU don't get.

So in a bizarrely hypocritical fashion you have accused me of doing what it is YOU were doing.

You were trying to say I'm not as smart as you and 'everyone' else.

You 'alluded' to it, SPECIFICALLY.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Ps there may be minor blips in grammar if someone is posting and it's not an official document or something important but the misuse of the apostrophe is a major gaffe and there's plenty of websites and memes devoted to it.  And it's such a simple rule.

https://www.google.com/search?q=misuse+of+apostrophe&rlz=1CAACAC_enUS695US696&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim1qDusKfTAhUIslQKHTioB5oQ_AUIBygC&biw=1295&bih=630

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1CAACAC_enUS695US696&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=misuse+of+apostrophe

It's ok kav, people will still like you here. 

I definitely think you are not very smart.  Never said different except sarcastically.   

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Oh good one. You're probably hoping 'everyone' will be so pleased with you over that remark. You'll fit in so nicely here.

LOL.

Not a 'zinger'.  That is what I actually think.  Sorry.

Just now, Chuck Gower said:

Until someone tells you otherwise and you go along with the crowd. Anything to fit in.

No one told me anything-in fact my best buddy is friends with you.  Sorry.  

Maybe this will help.  You seem to think that no one could possibly dislike you, that it is just peer pressure trying to 'fit in' that makes them averse to you.  Actually I had no particular issue with you then I saw you were posting insults about me.  It was your actions, not peer pressure that caused me to not like you.  You may not be aware of it but if you are mean to someone and insult them, they won't like you.  Hope this helps.  It's not 'other people'-take some responsibility.

You know that thing you say you do-

"See I do the opposite. I break down my beliefs as incorrect until I can't. I listen to rebuttals and debate.

I use critical reasoning skills. Try not to get caught up in emotion.

Nostalgia, memory, and beliefs?

That's like heroin to enlightenment."

Right now might be a good time to actually give it a whirl.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Maybe this will help.  You seem to think that no one could possibly dislike you,

That is as far from the truth as it could possibly be. Why do you make this stuff up? Oh yeah... you're a troll. that's what trolls do.

1 minute ago, kav said:

that it is just peer pressure trying to 'fit in' that makes them averse to you.

Uh...no. There are plenty of reasons for people to not like me, none of them have to do with them fitting in here or whatever.

I just think it's pathetic how low YOU will stoop to fit in here.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Actually I had no particular issue with you then I saw you were posting insults about me.  It was your actions, not peer pressure that caused me to not like you.  You may not be aware of it but if you are mean to someone and insult them, they won't like you.  Hope this helps.  It's not 'other people'-take some responsibility.

Why you dislike me, means... less than zero to me. Who cares? Why would I care WHY you don't like me?

I don't like YOU.

So I refrained from speaking to you. Had you on ignore. Then this new board came along and now.... well I'm going to go figure it out because.... I need you on ignore.

Being the needy person you are and the attention seeker you are, you'll continue to try and talk to me and troll me, and if i just don't see it, it won't make me want to respond to your trollyness and 'please like me' nonsense.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

You know that thing you say you do-

"See I do the opposite. I break down my beliefs as incorrect until I can't. I listen to rebuttals and debate.

I use critical reasoning skills. Try not to get caught up in emotion.

Nostalgia, memory, and beliefs?

That's like heroin to enlightenment."

Right now might be a good time to actually give it a whirl.

Oh I have.

I've tried to believe you were an ok guy, and not bad to have around the forum, and really  of no harm, but...

Nope. No matter how much I break it down... you're just a troll X10 with nothing of value to add to this place.

Ok well-lemme get this down accurately for my diary-you don't like me because of the things I post but I don't like you because of peer pressure and desperate to fit in-do I have it correct?  

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

1. Everyone's hero Jim Shooter helped DESTROY the newsstand market in a classic show of corporate greed and cut off a source of young reader nurturing that got taken over completely by TV, Movies, games, etc. At a time in their lives when kids have no money, or means to choose their method of entertainment, other than see a comic on a newsstand or convenience store rack 'Wahhh! Money I want that!", those things disappeared and the real method of brain washing kids to this colorful world (originally created for THEM, not 40 year old 'flippers') was gone.

The Direct Market made publisher's a lot more money...a lot more profit. But it squeezed our hobby into an even smaller niche, and as it has become the primary source for physical comics (since the mid 90's) comics have steadily declined in overall sales, as the means to see Movies and TV GREW larger - through more theaters, cable TV, pay on demand, and even now personal smart devices.

The newsstand distribution system was terrible (even more than it was historically) for comics by the time the Direct Market took off. Between the fraud, the inconsistent distribution and the general contempt for comics (largely because of their low prices), publishers were getting killed.

Without the Direct Market, comics probably wouldn't even exist anymore. At the very least, the current diversity of publishers and genres wouldn't exist.

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Marvel has ALWAYS tried to diversify. Marvel WILL always try and diversify. 

They are a corporation. YOU DIVERSIFY YOUR PRODUCT.

Budweiser, Michelob, Busch Beer.... they're not going out and making a ton of NEW named beers....

They ARE however making Bud Light, Bud Lime, Bud Ice, Michelob Light, Michelob Dark, Busch Light, etc.

I don't drink beer, so I wasn't aware that Budweiser created new Bud Lime and Bud Ice formulas and put them in containers of their popular Budweiser and Bud Light branded products that have been available in the market for years. That is what happened, right? Otherwise, that has nothing to do with what Marvel has been doing.

Creating a new title for a new, diverse character would fit Marvel's classic M.O. of flooding the market and be equivalent to your beer analogy, but that's not what is happening.

Of course they're going to try new (or, more likely, "new") things. Of course there are examples of diverse characters from non-recent history. Yes, most of Marvel's major characters have been (briefly) replaced and/or changed at some point. That's not the point.

The diversity is obvious when looking at the differences in gender/race/religion/whatever of the replacement characters. The "forced" part is replacing their most popular characters en masse. It's not the action as much as it is the timing.

55 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The newsstand distribution system was terrible (even more than it was historically) for comics by the time the Direct Market took off. Between the fraud, the inconsistent distribution and the general contempt for comics (largely because of their low prices), publishers were getting killed.

Without the Direct Market, comics probably wouldn't even exist anymore. At the very least, the current diversity of publishers and genres wouldn't exist.

This is incorrect. The publishers made a fortune from the newsstand. Not sure where you think they went backrupt from unless your reading some BS on Shooters blog. 

I don't drink beer, so I wasn't aware that Budweiser created new Bud Lime and Bud Ice formulas and put them in containers of their popular Budweiser and Bud Light branded products that have been available in the market for years. That is what happened, right? Otherwise, that has nothing to do with what Marvel has been doing.

It's a pretty basic concept. Car manufacturers do it. Fast Food Chains. Pens. How many versions of writing utensils does Bic make?

Its basic marketing. Brand recognition. 

Creating a new title for a new, diverse character would fit Marvel's classic M.O. of flooding the market and be equivalent to your beer analogy, but that's not what is happening.

Not sure I can take restating the 'why Marvel doesn't create new characters' speech. But ask a creator who's worked there. They'll tell you. 

Of course they're going to try new (or, more likely, "new") things. Of course there are examples of diverse characters from non-recent history. Yes, most of Marvel's major characters have been (briefly) replaced and/or changed at some point. That's not the point.

It's not?

The diversity is obvious when looking at the differences in gender/race/religion/whatever of the replacement characters. The "forced" part is replacing their most popular characters en masse. It's not the action as much as it is the timing.

lol Oh it's the timing. 

Well for one, they DIDN'T change them all at once. Jane Foster taking over for Thor was 3+ years ago and Riri started 5 months ago. 

Captain America was replaced by the Falcon. Big shock. 

Still don't see what you're talking about. Can you be more specific?