• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I wouldn’t dispute for a second that truly regaining the naive, wide-eyed, euphoric response experienced as a kid when I first started reading comics would be somewhat difficult to replicate.  That said, I enjoy reading something new, which is well-written and well-drawn, in order to at least try to sense some of the unfamiliarity, freshness and energy that I associate with reading Silver and Bronze Age back in the seventies.  That’s good enough for me, at this stage.  :smile:

I think that's the way most long time real readers of comics feel. 

They don't have to relive the nostalgia of it all, they're just interested in the continuing story. 

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?

Never mind all that @chrisco37, what has happened to World War ChucKav?  

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Chuck probably figured out how to put Kav on ignore.

Bugger. What will we all do for entertainment now? 

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?

Never use kids from the Simpsons as your focus group.

#poochiesucks

8 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:
9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I wouldn’t dispute for a second that truly regaining the naive, wide-eyed, euphoric response experienced as a kid when I first started reading comics would be somewhat difficult to replicate.  That said, I enjoy reading something new, which is well-written and well-drawn, in order to at least try to sense some of the unfamiliarity, freshness and energy that I associate with reading Silver and Bronze Age back in the seventies.  That’s good enough for me, at this stage.  :smile:

I think that's the way most long time real readers of comics feel. 

They don't have to relive the nostalgia of it all, they're just interested in the continuing story. 

It's really hard to follow that continuing story when the story and the history potentially changes with each new writer and each new story arc and each new # 1 and each company mandated character milieu reboot. 

29 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

It's really hard to follow that continuing story when the story and the history potentially changes with each new writer and each new story arc and each new # 1 and each company mandated character milieu reboot. 

Yep. There is no continuity like the good old days. Like I said earlier in the thread Marvel 1961 to some where in the mid-90s is the canon Marvel.

Anything after that should be considered What if stories.

Think of Sherlock Holmes in that everything Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote is considered the Canon  of Sherlock Holmes stories,while everything else is suspect.

Yes, there where plenty of good stories after 2000 for Marvel,but no cohesion like they had in Marvel 1961 to mid-90s.

Something is missing when I read these new Marvels. I don't get that same excitement like when I read Marvel from the old days.

I just read Daredevil 1-7 from 1960s.

It was exciting with Stan Lee writing and Everett,Orlando and Wally Wood on art.  These old-time artists really put a lot of work into their craft.

I just read King's Vision a few months ago. Good book, but I will take the old 60s Daredevil because it was more fun.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Some people will say that all modern Marvels suck. Of course, that can't possibly be true. There are good stories out there as well as bad, just like any era in Marvel history. However, the concept of a coherent universe that doesn't change every couple of years doesn't exist anymore. I don't expect Marvel to be able to reignite the wonder I felt when I was a kid. I just want them to get back to some sense of continuity and numbering. Enough with the reboots.

I say all this knowing it will never happen though and as I've said before I'm fine with that. My money these days go towards the comics I truly enjoy. I haven't enjoyed new Marvel comics in a long, long time.

I feel kids are growing up with it and are getting used to it, I mean it's been 20+ years since the mid 90's. That's not to say if it returned to more traditional printing/writing that they wouldn't prefer that, but this currently will get milked for substance until something drops a golden egg, then expect that to go on until the cows come home another 20+ years from now

26 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Some people will say that all modern Marvels suck. Of course, that can't possibly be true. There are good stories out there as well as bad, just like any era in Marvel history. However, the concept of a coherent universe that doesn't change every couple of years doesn't exist anymore. I don't expect Marvel to be able to reignite the wonder I felt when I was a kid. I just want them to get back to some sense of continuity and numbering. Enough with the reboots.

I say all this knowing it will never happen though and as I've said before I'm fine with that. My money these days go towards the comics I truly enjoy. I haven't enjoyed new Marvel comics in a long, long time.

The good thing is now the Marvel movies gives most of us excitement. The new Thor movie,Spider-Man and GoTG are must see movies for me this year,while Logan was outstanding. So the Marvel Cinematic Universe is where the old Marvel magic is.

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The good thing is now the Marvel movies gives most of us excitement. The new Thor movie,Spider-Man and GoTG are must see movies for me this year,while Logan was outstanding. So the Marvel Cinematic Universe is where the old Marvel magic is.

Kinda strange, a lot of Marvel movies are based off of stories written in the last 10 years so it's safe to say good stories that are new can be written. Did all the good writers go on to write the movies and that is why all the new stories are sub par?

Just now, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Kinda strange, a lot of Marvel movies are based off of stories written in the last 10 years so it's safe to say good stories that are new can be written. Did all the good writers go on to write the movies and that is why all the new stories are sub par?

That was a point I was trying to make in an earlier thread that in the 90s Marvel lost all the artists to Image,then Marvel touted they were all about writers,until most of their major writers left as well to greener pastures.

My suggestion was since the movies make billions than maybe Marvel should go find talent and pay them real good money.

In baseball and basketball they are industries that make billions like the Marvel movies and they pay their bench players more than Marvel and DC pay their top talent ,so why can't Marvel pony up and pay these top writers and artists?

Offer them big contracts to develop and write top stories.

Pay Alan Moore,George Perez and Neil Gaiman talent types 1 million each a year to write or draw comics. One million is really considered peanuts when we are talking about billion dollar franchises.

2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Agree it's the destruction of the Marvel Universe  that kill's the new stuff . I could put up with anything as long as it had context to all the other titles , it's the stand alone nature of the current stories ( kind of like Bobby in the shower )  , I used to be able to carry the Marvel Universe in my head like an alternative universe to real life , now I'm lost and please don't get me wrong I've tried but it's impossible . 

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That was a point I was trying to make in an earlier thread that in the 90s Marvel lost all the artists to Image,then Marvel touted they were all about writers,until most of their major writers left as well to greener pastures.

My suggestion was since the movies make billions than maybe Marvel should go find talent and pay them real good money.

In baseball and basketball they are industries that make billions like the Marvel movies and they pay their bench players more than Marvel and DC pay their top talent ,so why can't Marvel pony up and pay these top writers and artists?

Offer them big contracts to develop and write top stories.

Pay Alan Moore,George Perez and Neil Gaiman talent types 1 million each a year to write or draw comics. One million is really considered peanuts when we are talking about billion dollar franchises.

.....it would seem to make sense for Marvel Comics to try and focus more on quality instead of quantity (gimmicks and multiple variants for example).  

4 hours ago, Bill C said:

Interesting thread form the start, I was honestly somewhat surprised to see seemingly most here acknowledge this occurrence, and their distaste for it. It is painfully obvious that there is currently a stronger than ever move towards diversity at Marvel (movies and comics) that is unlike times past. Also IMO impossible and irrational to claim this forced agenda has nothing at all to do with many fans current distaste for Marvel.

Obviously one poster feels differently and has been posting dozens of long winded responses insisting the opposite, but when you feel the need to overrun a thread in that way, it honestly makes you look irrational, insecure in your viewpoint, and look as if you are trying to "win" an internet argument by burying opposing viewpoints. Doesn't change reality.

Where'd I bury viewpoints?

I SPECIFICALLY addressed ANY viewpoint given.

Now name one.

You can't.

Because there ARE no opposing view points. All I got is what people 'feel' is going on.

I presented FACTS.

Is that what 'taking over a conversation' is?

kav's attempt to mask his contempt was revealed, he straight out said "I don't think you're very smart' (which got no response from moderation) and tried to paint it as 'everyone' else agreed with him. 

But hey, go on believing what it is you want to believe. Plenty of people here agreed with me either in this thread or in private, who heard the viewpoints and saw how it made sense. 

THAT is reality. 

13 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

The one thing about people who read comics digitally that you can completely 100% count on is that they're doing it because they actually like to read the comics. 

Buying multiple copies, collecting #1's and 1st appearances, variant covers... none of it really plays a part in digital readership, so it'd be great if we could see those numbers. 

We'd have a great idea of what people actually read. 

On thing to keep in mind with digital readers, is that the business model is very different for Marvel as well.  It is an all-you-can-eat model like Netflix or a gym membership.  

In the print world, your most profitable customer is one that reads everything, since they buy a copy of everything.  In the digital model, your most profitable customers are the ones that sign up, but rarely actually read comics.  It is also a little harder to see what is actually driving people to sign up and maintain memberships.  You can see what they are reading, but you don't know if they would pay to read all of the titles, or if they are just reading them because they already have the access for something they feel is "must read"

5 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

kav's attempt to mask his contempt was revealed, he straight out said "I don't think you're very smart' (which got no response from moderation) and tried to paint it as 'everyone' else agreed with him. 

??? I never masked anything wtf I was very clear on my stance.  And the only thing I said everyone agreed with was Marvel's forced diversity you seem to have a reading comprehension problem.