• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden messages in X-Men Gold #1 (?)
1 1

224 posts in this topic

Couple of things: 

a) Freedom of Speech, yes.  But this is on Marvel's company dime.  He is more than welcome to print out brochures, shout it on a corner, make his own website, or even start his own comic book company and spew this without being thrown in jail.    Still, Marvel has a right to say- ummmm....no we didn't agree to this.   It's out and so are you.   
Seems very underhanded on the artists part, and written in code no less (I don't read the Koran). 

b) Freedom of Speech, yes.  But you are not free from public opinion.  Remember the Country band the Dixie Chicks.  Sold millions of albums, went to Europe, and said they were ashamed to be American because of George Bush Jr.  But oh wait.....many of your cd buying clan are hardcore, God fearing Texans, who also vote .  They burned your cd's, stopped going to shows, and your sales went flat.   Always important to know your audience.  

That's what the "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" crowd never computes.  (plus I'm skeptical of the 'defend to the death' part.)

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

Apparently there's no real consensus as to whether it means 'friend' or 'advisor'.  But i doubt someone would put a hidden message not to take Jews as advisors that seems like something not worth ranting about.  The other meaning makes sense, in a hidden rant.

:facepalm: Do you even understand how the specific references made by the artist are connected? Did you bother to actually research any of the backstory or did you just start blindly spouting off as usual?

24 minutes ago, combiner11 said:

Just to be clear, what Syaf did does not fall under "free speech" or "freedom of speech". What he did was a mockery of comics.  

If he wanted to proclame his "love" he should have written an article or in a website, instead of hiding it in a comic book  :boo:

I've seen some "hidden" stuff in comics before, like the Kazar F U C KAY cover and Barry Smiths coin message in Conan #8.  Seems to me this is right out front and not hidden at all

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: Do you even understand how the specific references made by the artist are connected? Did you bother to actually research any of the backstory or did you just start blindly spouting off as usual?

I did.  But apparently you did not.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

Obviously.

Maybe do some research next time before blindly spouting off.  Marvel and everyone else commenting here is not wrong, and you right.  Not even close.

16 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Couple of things: 

a) Freedom of Speech, yes.  But this is on Marvel's company dime.  He is more than welcome to print out brochures, shout it on a corner, make his own website, or even start his own comic book company and spew this without being thrown in jail.    Still, Marvel has a right to say- ummmm....no we didn't agree to this.   It's out and so are you.   
Seems very underhanded on the artists part, and written in code no less (I don't read the Koran). 

b) Freedom of Speech, yes.  But you are not free from public opinion.  Remember the Country band the Dixie Chicks.  Sold millions of albums, went to Europe, and said they were ashamed to be American because of George Bush Jr.  But oh wait.....many of your cd buying clan are hardcore, God fearing Texans, who also vote .  They burned your cd's, stopped going to shows, and your sales went flat.   Always important to know your audience.  

And yet the Dixie Chicks are around today making money and records.

From what I was taught in college, the Koran was never meant to be translated into different languages, exactly to avoid these sort of mis-translations.

Just as the Catholic Mass was always to be said in Latin so people worldwide partook in the same ritual.

Just now, shadroch said:

And yet the Dixie Chicks are around today making money and records.

Irrelevant to the point made about repercussions of speech.  they lost millions and were dead for years after that controversy.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

From what I was taught in college, the Koran was never meant to be translated into different languages, exactly to avoid these sort of mis-translations.

Just as the Catholic Mass was always to be said in Latin so people worldwide partook in the same ritual.

And who were you taught declared the Koran was never meant to be translated?

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Maybe do some research next time before blindly spouting off.  Marvel and everyone else commenting here is not wrong, and you right.  Not even close.

Okay, then please explain the specific chain of events which the artist referenced.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

Okay, then please explain the specific chain of events which the artist referenced.

I'm familiar with the tactic of no matter what I say, you go 'nuh-uh!'.  I used to be ten years old.

Just now, kav said:

I'm familiar with the tactic of no matter what I say, you go 'nuh-uh!'.  I used to be ten years old.

I'm familiar with the tactic of the ignorant not offering their (lack of) specific knowledge because it proves that they don't know what they're talking about.

Come on, just the basics. It's not that complicated.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

I'm familiar with the tactic of the ignorant not offering their (lack of) specific knowledge because it proves that they don't know what they're talking about.

I bet you are.  First hand knowledge, so to speak.

The Koran is only in Arabic.  An English version, or a French version or a Persian version of it is not The Koran. It's a translation of it.  Why do you suppose Muslim prayers aren't in English?

Just as a Torah can only be in Hebrew. You can translate it to English, but all you have is a translation of a Torah, not a real Torah.

I don't care what religious differences there are, or what side of your debate you fall in.

You don't preach your beliefs on someone else's dime, and specially in a comic book that children are privy to. As a parent I don't want to expose my children to things that I personally don't agree with. When they become adults, then they can decide what they want to do. I understand the religious rights of the artist, but don't shove that down my kids throats.

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I don't care what religious differences there are, or what side of your debate you fall in.

You don't preach your beliefs on someone else's dime, and specially in a comic book that children are privy to. As a parent I don't want to expose my children to things that I personally don't agree with. When they become adults, then they can decide what they want to do. I understand the religious rights of the artist, but don't shove that down my kids throats.

But what about freedom of-