• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sorry to hear that :( it was intimidating for me the first and even the 2nd and 3rd time. I can respect your perspective, hopefully if another artist speaks to you as proudly as Starlin, you'll give it another go round :) for SS. Inexperience is the name of the game, this hobby would die out a bit without new blood.....

Hopefully your not giving up on CGC blue label, and if you do decide against grading that you can still enjoy the boards for other things.....:shy:

I appreciate your words.  I like CGC, I'm actually a paying member but haven't submitted anything yet aside from the Starlin SS at the con.  I do buy my bigger keys slabbed primarily for two reasons: restoration check and preservation.  Plus I like how they look, especially in the new cases.    

5 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

I appreciate your words.  I like CGC, I'm actually a paying member but haven't submitted anything yet aside from the Starlin SS at the con.  I do buy my bigger keys slabbed primarily for two reasons: restoration check and preservation.  Plus I like how they look, especially in the new cases.    

SS at con's does seem to be a madhouse :) a lot of Hubbub  Bub lol 

It is possible to just talk to a facilitator and drop them off and the facilitator will take care of the hassle for you.... And sometimes it is around the same price to buy them already graded and/or SS'd

The new cases have almost spoiled me; I bought a graded comic the other day and it was in the case before the new case, and I didn't get the same oooh and ahhhh when I opened it in the mail. People knock the label on the new case, but it also is a little bit of a bolder color, add that with the pop of the comic in the new case and it looks nice. Especially compared to the old case where the comic in the case looks cloudy along with the label ;) 

Why is the place in Burbank a dumping ground for problem books? I mean, are problem books something the owners of HOS actively seek out for purchase?

Edited by NoMan
Edited out personal experience with that shop cause I don't want the drama

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

sSure, I was really including comments on facebook, here, in the clubs and private groups. 

I don't see how people can look at what Jim's stated and then post something like "HUZZAH!!! Down with slabbing. Congrats on fighting the good fight!!"  When it's not at all what he's said or meant or what he's stated he's doing.

However it is hilarious to see Robbie Beerbong copy and paste the same comment 16 times in the same comment thread. 

It would be one thing if Beerbong had a legitimate case that he laid out, soberly and rationally, and patiently did so until he was satisfied...but he doesn't. He just makes vitriolic posts filled with bitterness, feeling sorry for himself and all the wrongs people have committed against him, mixed with liberal doses of how great he is, and all he's done for the good of comics and humanity in general.

He's not stupid. He's got a wealth of experience. He's been in the business for decades.

But his bitterness and self-pity render whatever good might still come from him void.

And these pervicacious jags, with their "comics are meant to be READ, not ENTOMBED!!" comments...fine, dopes, OPEN THE SLAB, TAKE THE COMIC OUT, and READ IT.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Why is the place in Burbank a dumping ground for problem books? I mean, are problem books something the owners of HOS actively seek out for purchase?

No, they just don't care. They don't check, and if they do, it doesn't bother them.

The manager/co-owner, Eric, once demonstrated this to me one day when I saw a rather nice looking Justice League #2, and, while counting pages, discovered the last page was missing. I pointed this out to Eric, and he shrugged, and put the book back in the case. No change in price, no note that it was missing  a page...nothing.

So, of course, people buy restored and other problem books, crack them out, and sell them for a tidy profit to House of Secrets. Why not? (other than ethical considerations, which aren't a problem for many.) If I buy a color touched Hulk #181 8.5 for, what, $1,200, crack it out...they'd likely pay $2,000 or so for it, and price it at $3,000 or more. They just don't care about silly things like undisclosed restoration.

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No, they just don't care. They don't check, and if they do, it doesn't bother them.

The manager/co-owner, Eric, once demonstrated this to me one day when I saw a rather nice looking Justice League #2, and, while counting pages, discovered the last page was missing. I pointed this out to Eric, and he shrugged, and put the book back in the case. No change in price, no note that it was missing  a page...nothing.

So, of course, people buy restored and other problem books, crack them out, and sell them for a tidy profit to House of Secrets. Why not? (other than ethical considerations, which aren't a problem for many.) If I buy a color touched Hulk #181 8.5 for, what, $1,200, crack it out...they'd likely pay $2,000 or so for it, and price it at $3,000 or more. They just don't care about silly things like undisclosed restoration.

And I'm someone who bought one of these raw comics from House of Secrets in Burbank that had undisclosed interior damage. 

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

And I'm someone who bought one of these raw comics from House of Secrets in Burbank that had undisclosed interior damage. 

At least they live up to their name.  

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

At least they live up to their name.  

You know what? St Marks Comics in NYC sucks, too. As someone who got back in the hobby after a 30 year absence, I've found CGC's 3rd party grading/restoration check to be a huge value. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, kav said:

Arent SS books permanently entombed?  Cause if you take it out and appreciate it, you now have 'name written on cover'.

So what? Who reads the cover? Isn't the INSIDE STORY (you know, the one everyone wants to READ) most important?

So what if there's a little marker on the cover - comics are meant to be read over and over again - not hung on a wall just to admire the pristine front cover! If you want to look at an unmarked pristine front cover, get a high-res scan and print it off and lay that over the "name written on cover" book.

/mode

Just now, NoMan said:

Not surprising, and sorry to hear that. We're a growing club, sadly.

I don't think Paul is a crook. He just doesn't care to the extent that he should.  And though he's an amiable guy, he does treat with a degree of contempt those of us to whom it matters. Eric's worse.

I spent upwards of $10,000 there in 2007...and they had an outdoor dollar book sale in October of that year. I pulled out 7 long boxes, and had to dicker to get a better price than the "buy 4, get 1 free!" price they offered everyone else...for drek. I never asked for better prices on anything else...but this was 7 long boxes of drek.

Then, I heard about it a few days later...that the guy who "helped" me complained that I was a picky cheapskate for daring to ask for a better deal than they gave to everyone off the street.

But, I didn't make an issue out of it because: addiction.

The Avengers #1 that I bought in 2010, got signed by Stan, had it come back a restored 5.5 with a married 5th wrap...and Paul would only refund my original purchase price, though he'd gotten a signed Stan slab in return...was the last straw. I haven't been back since, and I make sure to mention it when I can, so others are aware and to be vigilant if shopping there.

Frankly, I don't care if HOS goes down in (metaphorical) flames. Just another Comic Book Guy, made all the worse because Paul pretends to be such a nice guy, and outside of business, he really is, but he doesn't respect his clientele enough to be aware of this and do something about it.

I get it...there really are problem customers, who overbrowse and never buy, who complain about every little thing. But spending that kind of money at a place should...and maybe I'm more entitled than I have a right to be, perhaps...but should earn you a little bit of respect and courtesy, not "oh God, here comes that skinflint again."

You can really tell when something bothers someone, eh...? ;)

13 hours ago, jcjames said:

How in the world do you stop someone from watching you sign your name in a public setting???

"Hey, you have a CGC lanyard - close your eyes! Hey! I ORDER you to not look at me! STOP LOOKING!" :sumo:

It seems to have been working for Don Rosa

I don't believe I would've been able to deal with all of the disappointing, frustrating buying experiences which RMA described in his two recent posts.  Probably would have given up.

Admirable dedication. :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I don't believe I would've been able to deal with all of the disappointing, frustrating buying experiences which RMA described in his two recent posts.  Probably would have given up.

Admirable dedication. :smile:

:gossip: 

Addiction.

And, as you and many people know, most people won't say anything unless they're reallllly unhappy. Many collectors don't care.

That's why the "no one has ever had a problem with me before!" rings TRUE. Someone could consistently sell 6.5-8.0 books as "NM/M", and get away with it...and may not even be aware of it...for a very, very long time.

Hell, I bought a Strange Tales #178 in 2015 that I didn't check until a couple of months ago...too busy. Opened up the package, expecting a decent upper mid-grade book...and it's been color touched.

I won't go back to the seller and demand anything...due diligence on my part didn't happen...but I will, at some point, let them know. $30+ for a mid-grade ST #178 with color touch that's worth, what...$2 as is? My loss. How much of this happens every single day, with no one the wiser...?

That's why slabbing has been such a boon. Those of us who DO care have an outlet...and those who don't, need not be bothered with it.

Lest you think it's all bad, I'll relate a win: in 2003-ish, I bought an entire long box of every Punisher appearance from ASM #129-up to about 1995, for $300 off of eBay.

When I got it, I looked over the books...and was stunned by the breathtaking condition of #135. Far and away the nicest copy I had ever seen.

Couple of minor dings and dents that I pressed out. Subbed it at Baltimore last year...got a 9.8. Sold it for $1400. :D

That one book paid for the whole box, 4 times over. So, it's not all bad. ;)

18 hours ago, seanfingh said:

You are coming across pretty strident.  There are a lot of people in this thread making reasonable points and posting reasonable responses that have not resorted to name calling as it relates to Jim Starlin or to other posters.

I wasn't the first one who threw the word "clown". Read a few pages before my initial post. I just didn't feel the need to quote the guy. 

I'll own the "keyboard warrior". I did say that towards RMA.