• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superboy - Complete!

397 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2017 at 5:20 AM, Silver said:

Superboy 50. Got this one from Bob Storms. If you are at all familiar withe the DC 100 Page Super Spectaculars, this is a issue that was reprinted in DC-21. That particular issue is one of my most influential comics and personal favorites as I give it credit for really inspiring collectoritis in my young self. I bought that issue off the rack at a 7-11. A couple of things I remember. The very first Superboy story said something like "Tales of Superman when he was a boy". I had though they were two different people! This issue also had the awesome "Super Moby of Space" reprint from Adventure 332, and...all in the same issue...one of my favorite comics of all time Brave and the Bold 54 with the beginnings of the Teen Titans! If that wasn't enough, the original covers on the back! One of the coolest things to me back then was to find the original issue of a reprinted story.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

I keep forgetting to mention - the 50 has ignited a fire deep in my heart. 

So here's a question for you Dan - after all this time, are you a Curt guy or a Kurt guy?  When you think of silver Superman family, who comes to mind?  and why?  No Schaff work on Superboy. 

I've got  a great book you might like to see if you don't have a copy already, "Hero Gets Girl! - The Life and Art of Kurt Schaffenberger". 

Are you familiar with Schaff's promo work?

More of a Curt guy personally, although I admire the work Kurt did on Lois. He had one heck of a run, something like the first 80 issues consecutively. Can't say I am a big fan of his 70's work on Shazam though, I though that art was kind of childish.

Kurts early work on Lois was very detailed and quite good. No one will ever beat the Swan though for covers, he was THE Superman artist imo.

Superboy 131 is the first appearance of the S.C.P.A (Space Cnaine Patrol ...can't make this stuff up ya know). What's kind of cool is I believe the writers of the Krypto the Superdog cartoon from 2005-6 borrowed heavily from these stories. Dumb as all heck, but classic D.C. Dumb.

IMG_0420.JPG

9 hours ago, Silver said:

Superboy 131 is the first appearance of the S.C.P.A (Space Cnaine Patrol ...can't make this stuff up ya know). What's kind of cool is I believe the writers of the Krypto the Superdog cartoon from 2005-6 borrowed heavily from these stories. Dumb as all heck, but classic D.C. Dumb.

IMG_0420.JPG

Cover is so bad that it's good