• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,123 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, lobrac said:

Next flipper should offer the page as done by the legendary artist "Sir Ayers, Duke of Artsbury."

On 11/14/2022 at 11:48 AM, New School Fool said:

Yes, this also irks me somewhat. Can someone please help me understand this?

Why make a post like that if the artwork clearly doesn't mean as much as to him as he state it does....
And if the artwork does mean a lot to him, why on earth is he selling it so quickly? I understand situations change and maybe there's a need for money fast, but still...?

I flip comics, but I'm not a flipper of comic art. I'm definitely a "collector" in that realm. Nonetheless, I have sold a few pieces over the last 15 years of collecting. One piece in particular that I sold around a year ago was a Secret Wars page. I sold it shortly after acquiring it, even though when I first received the piece, I posted on Facebook and publicly considered it to be a grail-get. The problem was that I just wasn't in love with the page. Secret Wars pages are so difficult to find, that I was really trying to convince myself that it was the page for me. It wasn't though. After some weeks of owning the page, I sold it for a modest profit.

I didn't buy the page with the intention of reselling. I was thought that would be my representative Secret Wars page forevermore. But in the end, I needed a more spectacular page from the series. Maybe some other collectors experience this same thing from time to time.

On 11/24/2022 at 10:37 AM, vodou said:

This was the same infamous disappearing page originally off Hake’s, yes?

I don't know. I wasn't aware of this Hakes incident. 

Below is the page. I liked it a lot because it was filled with X-Men, but the panels just didn't scratch my Secret Wars itch. It really is nothing special. But it's just so impossible to find SW pages.

316231935_1015793079180965_6201562862392597169_n.thumb.jpg.e818630f25c70babe726e514718b4a7e.jpg

Edited by KingOfRulers

On 11/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, lobrac said:

BUY WHAT YOU LOVE...TO FLIP.  :(

The strategy has to be putting whorehouse prices on the pages, and then if someone offers to pay 20-30% less, the buyer feels like they got a deal, and the seller made a profit. For me (with other stuff, not OA) that works all the time on Ebay. Put $80 on something I paid $50 for, send an offer for $65 to watchers, and there's a good chance someone eventually pulls the pin.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/25/2022 at 2:18 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The strategy has to be putting whorehouse prices on the pages, and then if someone offers to pay 20-30% less, the buyer feels like they got a deal, and the seller made a profit. For me (with other stuff, not OA) that works all the time on Ebay. Put $80 on something I paid $50 for, send an offer for $65 to watchers, and there's a good chance someone eventually pulls the pin.

After all fees are subtracted from the $65 as well as your time and effort is it really worth it? As eBay hits entire $65 sale amount including your initial $50 investment capital with fees.  Then your profit if it exceeds $600 for the year is taxable at Federal and most State levels. What is the actual net on that $15 gross? $5-7?

You can do nearly as well if not slightly better with $50 (or 200x that amount) investment with ZERO effort and no state/local taxes in something as simple as Series I Bonds at least currently :)  Federally tax speaking only the interest is taxable not any of your investment capital. Added bonus with the Bonds is you get to help out the USA!

Above excludes efficient bulk sellers as with high enough volume it can be a viable business model.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/25/2022 at 2:18 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Help me understand: Why buy something for $50, put it up for $80 and then sell for $65? The return on investment is almost nothing after eBay takes out fees, so just don't buy the art and keep the $50 and invest it in something else. The profit's not even worth the time and effort to put it up op eBay and, it almost makes you selling at a break-even amount. That's trading dollars for dollars. Why even bother buying if you're going to sell at a $7.00 profit?

On 11/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, MAR1979 said:

After all fees are subtracted from the $65 as well as your time and effort is it really worth it? As eBay hits entire $65 sale amount including your initial $50 investment capital with fees.  Then your profit if it exceeds $600 for the year is taxable at Federal and most State levels. What is the actual net on that $15 gross? $5-7?

You can do nearly as well if not slightly better with $50 (or 200x that amount) investment with ZERO effort and no state/local taxes in something as simple as Series I Bonds at least currently :)  Federally tax speaking only the interest is taxable not any of your investment capital. Added bonus with the Bonds is you get to help out the USA!

Above excludes efficient bulk sellers as with high enough volume it can be a viable business model.

Absolutely true. But until they put Spider-man on a Treasury Bond, it's still a good time waster to try and flip a comic book for 10-20% more than what I bought it for. However, your example has shown me I definitely need to up my BIN prices. :idea:

On 11/25/2022 at 2:41 PM, Michael Browning said:

Help me understand: Why buy something for $50, put it up for $80 and then sell for $65? The return on investment is almost nothing after eBay takes out fees, so just don't buy the art and keep the $50 and invest it in something else. The profit's not even worth the time and effort to put it up op eBay and, it almost makes you selling at a break-even amount. That's trading dollars for dollars. Why even bother buying if you're going to sell at a $7.00 profit?

That's just an example of numbers and how people react to overpriced BINs. I generally aim for 20% profit after fees and packaging (some go higher, some go lower - my year-end goal is 20% for my screwing around on Ebay) - I'm not a bulk seller by any means, I maybe have 2-3 auctions going per week with a variety of BIN things listed.

On 11/25/2022 at 6:21 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Absolutely true. But until they put Spider-man on a Treasury Bond, it's still a good time waster to try and flip a comic book for 10-20% more than what I bought it for. However, your example has shown me I definitely need to up my BIN prices. :idea:

If you doing it for flipper "dopamine" type hits then have at it.   Given economic state of things raising prices should help to lower the amount of time and effort in packing and shipping.

Thing is though the amount of money made on the "I" bonds will re-occur every 6 months (in varying amounts), eBay sales do not. Plus no loss to inflation in the I's.   If or rather when inflation does drop to near zero then rejoice and move the money elsewhere.

....and yes I do get a commission on every Series I Bond sold :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

If you doing it for flipper "dopamine" type hits then have at it.   Given economic state of things raising prices should help to lower the amount of time and effort in packing and shipping.

For me, the time spent on it is the reward, not necessarily the money I make. I don't want to go backwards, but if I can buy and sell and it gives me a respite from all the other stuff I have to worry about during the day, I consider that a win.

On 11/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

Thing is though the amount of money made on the "I" bonds will re-occur every 6 months (in varying amounts), eBay sales do not. Plus no loss to inflation in the I's.   If or rather when inflation does drop to near zero then rejoice and move the money elsewhere.

....and yes I do get a commission on every Series I Bond sold :)

Oddly enough, one of the great non-comic topics on this Board is the financial commentary people offer. Thankfully, my wife is the mastermind with our investments - but I always come at her out of the blue with financial tips here and there as I read them in these threads.

I'm in charge of the 10-year comic/art portfolio. She's in charge of everything else.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:45 PM, Xatari said:

I'd be curious to see whose portfolio of the two of you has the greater ROI. 

Comics or investments?

My comic and art portfolio have another 9 years to go before I look at it. My wife is in charge of the investment side - and she's pretty good at it. She kicked our broker to the curb three or four years ago to manage it herself and just in doing that saved us a boatload of money.

She us up and working on our investments when the market opens and she's on that for a few hours each day before she comes into work. Off and on, of course - depending on what's happening in the market. Some days are busier than others.

Don Rosa is selling the originals to the wonderful Life and Time of Scrooge McDuck through Heritage.

This page, Uncle Scrooge #286 Story Page 19 and its partner Page 20 sold for $10K on Heritage June 17, 2021 

image.thumb.png.1822d6590c397a216a2d09990934bcdc.png

It's now on ComicLink. Will it make the $5K point to cover half the cost of the pair? It's at $1100 at this writing.