• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

First off, happy birthday! I edited because I realized it was a special day. 

Regarding the show, most sold to the same few people with claims coming in before prices were announced. Neither page with the actual character sold. I thought that was odd  

Also, people who claimed later backed when another buyer came in to the picture. How many pieces had multiple claims like a normal show of this type? It was certainly interesting, but congrats to Nick on the sales and the new owners on the art. 

People can draw their own conclusions but it would be worth watching again with a keen eye.

Side note, but was it me, or were there two different users named Thom Fish during the live cast? One at the very beginning and one much later toward the big pieces.

Edited by Xatari

I've never really looked at this thread, apologies if I've misinterpreted the intent.

Star Wars Weekly # 46 page pg 01 sold on Heritage a month ago (April 2023). 
Star Wars on HA

Since it's:
1) Published in the U.K. only 
2) A 'recap of our story so far' type page, standard for weekly books, but usually retards the result considerably
3) Attributed to Howard Bender, not Infantino.  'H.B.' written in pencil along the top.
...it was only able to muster a $1,320 win.

A month later, here's the same page on eBay, Howard Bender not mentioned, but Infantino certainly is.  The price is a little... hopeful?  Aggressive?
Star Wars on eBay

He can try to get whatever price he likes, but trying to sell that as published Infantino shouldn't be accepted.  I dropped him a line, but I doubt he'll change anything.

Edited by thethedew

On 5/13/2023 at 3:17 AM, thethedew said:

I've never really looked at this thread, apologies if I've misinterpreted the intent.

Star Wars Weekly # 46 page pg 01 sold on Heritage a month ago (April 2023). 
Star Wars on HA

Since it's:
1) Published in the U.K. only 
2) A 'recap of our story so far' type page, standard for weekly books, but usually retards the result considerably
3) Attributed to Howard Bender, not Infantino.  'H.B.' written in pencil along the top.
...it was only able to muster a $1,320 win.

A month later, here's the same page on eBay, Howard Bender not mentioned, but Infantino certainly is.  The price is a little... hopeful?  Aggressive?
Star Wars on eBay

He can try to get whatever price he likes, but trying to sell that as published Infantino shouldn't be accepted.  I dropped him a line, but I doubt he'll change anything.

I sent him a note as soon as it popped up for sale. I’ve attached the screenshots from our messages. I also posted it on Facebook and reported it to eBay. I caught a lot of flack from guys who didn’t see anything wrong with what he was doing, but I just didn’t want a buyer to get scammed because that is definitely not Infantino art.

4D17C11E-7A97-4729-9CE1-3403BB352F20.png

E888A1D2-F3CB-416A-A3B7-9C21C9C59EDD.png

5950813A-A48C-4799-B3AA-C8DC88FBD585.png

5DF09909-F2F9-465D-90C4-9D04FBC29583.png

590E41FE-040E-401C-B4AA-645190211829.png

On 5/13/2023 at 10:17 AM, ak47po said:

Anyone ever buy comic art from "jimmy the Greeks son?

https://www.anthonyscomicbookart.com/default.asp

How's the pricing? I'm new to buying comic art.

Why would you not just ask using his name? Anthony is a longtime and very reputable dealer, well known in the comic art community and a good guy. You could have just asked if anyone could give you a recommendation for Anthony Snyder.

On 5/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, Michael Browning said:

Why would you not just ask using his name? Anthony is a longtime and very reputable dealer, well known in the comic art community and a good guy. You could have just asked if anyone could give you a recommendation for Anthony Snyder.

My apologies,  post will be deleted.

On 5/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, Michael Browning said:

Maybe the question should be, Who has NOT bought art from Anthony :roflmao:

He's a super nice guy and reliable dealer, albeit one with strange fetishes for cake, pasties and diapers. No, I am NOT explaining that.

Edited by KirbyCollector

Ok gang, was anyone else traumatized by the way Nick held that permanent red ink marker over the twenty pages? 

Ball Busting Hall of Fame? Did the legend Tom Fish......???

a) put Nick on the clock when he took too long to accept a serious offer on the page 18 splash

and 

b) walk away from Nick's $42,500 "counter offer" because Nick misread part of Tom's offer/ comments

c) who the hell slipped this one in on Nick? Imagine, Nick thought he had the splash sold, now he's imploring Tom to meet the "counter" and not walk away. Nick is also trying to remember what pages have not sold and read the comments at the same time: "Nick, why don't you walk away and ask your brother, then come back at 50." lol it goes over the head of Nick but not grapey. I'm dead. 
This was a very entertaining stream imho. Nick appeared to do all right. One guy I think outmaneuvered quite a few collectors trying to keep powder dry was comic art boston. 

For me I'm glad I stayed out of it. It was an event for sure, but there will always, always be something else to obsess over.

IMG_3344.thumb.jpeg.108bba60ce3777655020c087ba03ca57.jpegIMG_3340.thumb.jpeg.8ff99ea58ebe257d9c03f1cee765b306.jpeg

On 5/11/2023 at 2:50 AM, crnbrd said:

From what Ive been told it's the points system and royalties. Everything labeled a derivative character they don't have to pay out on. I remember Liefeld posted something about how his Dove being female was considered derivative. Same thing for Spider-Gwen, she's still just Gwen Stacy. 

Exactly. There are plenty of new characters and new stories. But their creator do not take them to Marvel and DC, who expect to own the work. The viability of the indie market is a result of distribution shifting from newsstands to local comics stores. Name all the important characters (totally new, not Miles Morales new) that debuted in a Marvel or DC comic in the last 30 years. Not Harley Quinn; she started in the Batman cartoon.

On 5/15/2023 at 1:43 PM, RBerman said:

Exactly. There are plenty of new characters and new stories. But their creator do not take them to Marvel and DC, who expect to own the work. The viability of the indie market is a result of distribution shifting from newsstands to local comics stores. Name all the important characters (totally new, not Miles Morales new) that debuted in a Marvel or DC comic in the last 30 years. Not Harley Quinn; she started in the Batman cartoon.

Not trying to prove you wrong as there's definitely an element of truth to what you're saying. Yet. there's been a bunch of new characters in the previous Batman run (2020): Punchline, Ghost-Maker, Clownhunter, and Miracle Molly to name a few. 3 of these have had their own limited series so I would decline to label them as 'not important'

Marvel definitely has had less yet they seem to be counteracting with a new character named 'Hallow's Eve' that they seem to be pushing.

I take it you don't read modern comics?

On 5/14/2023 at 7:25 PM, mtlevy1 said:

MSRP? really...

More
Superfluous
Reseller
Pricing? 

Just guessing.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:18 AM, New School Fool said:

there's been a bunch of new characters in the previous Batman run (2020): Punchline, Ghost-Maker, Clownhunter, and Miracle Molly

All anologues for existing characters: Punchline = Harley + Huntress, Ghost-Maker = Batman (but Asian), Clownhunter = Robin (but Asian) and Miracle Molly = Harley, but formerly in an abusive marriage. They were all spawned by the Joker Wars storyline... which was a blatant ripoff of The Dark Knight Rises film plot.

We ARE reading modern comics... the problem is all the writers are fanboys trapped by 60 years of canon, so what we aren't seeing is something truly new from the big 2.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 5/15/2023 at 2:43 PM, RBerman said:

Speedball?  🤣🤣🤣

On 5/15/2023 at 9:51 AM, KirbyCollector said:

All anologues for existing characters: Punchline = Harley + Huntress, Ghost-Maker = Batman (but Asian), Clownhunter = Robin (but Asian) and Miracle Molly = Harley, but formerly in an abusive marriage. They were all spawned by the Joker Wars storyline... which was a blatant ripoff of The Dark Knight Rises film plot.

We ARE reading modern comics... the problem is all the writers are fanboys trapped by 60 years of canon, so what we aren't seeing is something truly new from the big 2.

I hear what you're saying. It definitely takes time and exposure for characters to develop.  I think Jon Kent has been one of the better received characters of the past 10 years or so.  Gabby Kinney (Scout/Honey Badger) is a character I enjoy on the Marvel side but hasn't really broken through.  However, it seems to be closer to 15-20 years before a character seems to make a jump in most cases.  Often a catalyst is needed to push them through the humdrum of mediocre characters.