• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,091 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2022 at 5:28 PM, zhamlau said:
On 5/26/2022 at 12:10 PM, lobrac said:

already making one grand if it ends today. Likely goes to 8-9k at least....messed up being the underbidder on that one...

sold 10,800...yay for someone...not me...

On 6/13/2022 at 6:26 PM, aqn83 said:

I pay pretty close attention to the modern Batman art market, and there was a young notable collector who made some HUGE modern batman art purchases, and he has since liquidated his collection.

Another year later, another younger comic collect jumps into the scene and, like the other, makes a ton of huge purchases. He has also since liquidated his collection (a lot of which he sold for far less than he bought for).

There is currently a new collector who has been buying modern Batman art nearly non-stop. I'm wondering if his fire will fizz as well. 

The Five Stages of Unbridled Ambition Leads to Ruin

Stage 1: Unbridle ambition

Stage 2: Arrive at Ruin

Stage 3: CGC Comic Art Marketplace Sale Posts

Stage 4: Appearances in "(Attempted) Flip of the Day" Thread

Stage 5: CAF "Everything Must Go" Sale

On 6/9/2022 at 5:35 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Race commented on the Comiclink Spring thread that some pieces didn’t do as well at auction as he expected. Perhaps this is the beginning of the long-anticipated slowdown/turnaround.

This is 100% untrue.  The crash won't happen until after I send stuff to an auction house to sell.

On 6/25/2022 at 9:11 AM, John E. said:

The Five Stages of Unbridled Ambition Leads to Ruin

Stage 1: Unbridle ambition

Stage 2: Arrive at Ruin

Stage 3: CGC Comic Art Marketplace Sale Posts

Stage 4: Appearances in "(Attempted) Flip of the Day" Thread

Stage 5: CAF "Everything Must Go" Sale

I feel bad laughing at these 2 posts lol

On 6/25/2022 at 5:04 AM, MagnusX said:

Captain Kirk watercolor painting by Steve Rude.

Sold on Ebay June 13 for $ 420.00
Link...

Now for sale on CAF for $ 700.00 obo
Link...

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4d06cd287029be9c6ebdefeaea341d10.jpg

This is one where the flip maybe makes sense. $420 seemed light for this but I am an unabashedly biased Rude supporter.

On 6/25/2022 at 10:18 PM, batman_fan said:

This is 100% untrue.  The crash won't happen until after I send stuff to an auction house to sell.

I don’t see the “big meltdown” yet. I’m thinking “pullback/pause” consistent with a short recession or the corrective pricing in the stock market.  For those who are overextended, good time to reduce risk. 

On 6/26/2022 at 6:34 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I’m thinking “pullback/pause”...

Yes.

...a short recession

No.

...corrective pricing in the stock market.

Yes.

For those who are overextended, good time to reduce risk. 

There is never a bad time for this, ever.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:33 AM, vodou said:

Yes.

No.

Yes.

There is never a bad time for this, ever.

I doubt there will be a recession myself, but there is now a pullback on new hiring, the Fed is kicking up interest rates, consumer confidence is down, and there are increased attempts by consumers to cut spending due to inflation pressures. Throw in the reduction in international grain due to the War, and a gap developing in European access to gas. So, yes, it is possible. 

On 6/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I doubt there will be a recession myself, ...

I don't. My disagreement was:

...a short recession...

I'm seeing nothing positive to come, only a continuing downward and deeper spiral* for at least a full decade - at a minimum.

*recession/depression/stagflation heading toward hyperinflation in some/many sectors driven more by actual shortages than monetary policy; thus not curable by Central Bank policy/decisions.

On 6/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, aqn83 said:

I pay pretty close attention to the modern Batman art market, and there was a young notable collector who made some HUGE modern batman art purchases, and he has since liquidated his collection.

Another year later, another younger comic collect jumps into the scene and, like the other, makes a ton of huge purchases. He has also since liquidated his collection (a lot of which he sold for far less than he bought for).

There is currently a new collector who has been buying modern Batman art nearly non-stop. I'm wondering if his fire will fizz as well. 

I can relate to this. I think there are two psychological explanations.

The first is that people come in strong and when they realize they won't have the best of X OR the buying slows down/hardens OR there is a key piece they know they can't acquire they get frustrated and give up. This is fairly benign, all things considered.

The second is that it is a form of mental illness. Or, a manifestation of some kind of mental illness. This involves intense passion and mania followed by a deep sinking depression spurred by feelings of self doubt and burden. The mania-burden cycle is fueled by "chasing" at any cost and overpaying. This leads to cycles, sometimes within the same conversation, of acquiring more and dumping it all. 

Edited by cstojano

On 6/28/2022 at 10:44 AM, lobrac said:

You should make an offer of $15K and see what he says :P

Malvin

On 6/28/2022 at 1:44 PM, lobrac said:

Will cross Essington off the list of people I will ever buy anything from or sell anything to... bet you the poor underbidder was someone who would have kept and treasured this, as opposed to treating it like a used car

On 6/28/2022 at 12:54 PM, Race said:

Will cross Essington off the list of people I will ever buy anything from or sell anything to... bet you the poor underbidder was someone who would have kept and treasured this, as opposed to treating it like a used car

He’s been at this for a while. Haven’t seen his sale posts for a bit - he used to cross post his flips like 10 different places every time.