• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

498 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, tth2 said:
1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

:sumo:  thats my high bid on that Mystery Men 3

i can’t see the mystery men 3 that you guys keep talking about.

Well Tim, of course not.

With your discerning eyes and impeccable taste, the only Mystery Men 3 that your brain could ever process would be this one here:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=713086&title=MYSTERYMEN COMICS

You would never be able to see this other copy that only mere mortals like us with our failing eyes could see hiding at the bottom of the barrel:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=716460

lol

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Hope you win it @ $44 :wishluck:

You must mean $343.  hm

For batman_fan's sake, we should stop talking about this book here since it has almost doubled in price from earlier this afternoon.  :gossip:

3 hours ago, tth2 said:
4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

i can’t see the mystery men 3 that you guys keep talking about.

That's cause you filter the auction listings from highest to lowest price and don't get off page 1 :baiting:

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

Actually, I purchased the Jon Berk copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies V2 #3.  I was shocked to find Heritage offering the same book in a higher grade, so I bought that one too.  The Berk copy was a 4.0, and the Heritage an 8.0.  I've seen discussion about the differences, and holding them side by side, in my humble opinion, the Heritage book is a true 8.0, and the Berk is a true 4.0.

But my question is this:  Heritage says the 8.0 is the highest on the CGC census, but when I look, I see something called an "office mock-up copy" listed as a variant, and it is allegedly in 9.0. The certificate number is available in the GPA Analysis, but when I plug that number into the CGC census, it comes back with a message saying "no match found".

Does anyone know what an "office mock-up copy" is?

Thank you,

Clark Birdsall

clarkbirds@aol.com

I bought that copy years ago. 

It's an office assembled copy , no staples ..."mock up " to show the title  was found in the jacquet estate and slabbed as such

IMG_5445.PNG

Edited by G.A.tor

28 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I bought that copy years ago. 

It's an office assembled copy , no staples ..."mock up " to show the title  was found in the jacquet estate and slabbed as such

IMG_5445.PNG

It also does not contain all of the pages that the regular issue does if I remember correctly....I asked Metro back when they had it listed on their site. 

Can't believe CGC didn't note that on the label.

Edited by october

32 minutes ago, october said:

It also does not contain all of the pages that the regular issue does if I remember correctly....I asked Metro back when they had it listed on their site. 

That's why I sold it. Wasn't "complete"

14 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
14 hours ago, october said:

That's why I sold it. Wasn't "complete"

Surprised CGC would give the book an Universal label as opposed to a Qualified label then. 

Since the scan indicates it does have interior pages in there, any idea how many pages and if they correspond to the same pages that's supposed to be in the regular edition of this AMF V2#3?  hm

20 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

Actually, I purchased the Jon Berk copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies V2 #3.  I was shocked to find Heritage offering the same book in a higher grade, so I bought that one too.  The Berk copy was a 4.0, and the Heritage an 8.0.

Wow, so you are the bidder who beat me out on both copies of this book here, although I must admit that I had already dropped out by then as I about 2 or 3 bid increments behind you in both cases.  :pullhair:

Although AMF V2#3 does indeed have a beautiful cover image, any other reason why you would go after both copies of the same issue instead of going after AMF's V2#2 or V2#6 since both of these issues also have gorgeous cover images, were in approximately the same grade (CGC 8.0 to CGC 8.5), and their final prices also finished up in roughly the same ballpark?  hm

BTW:  Huge congrats on your pickups and Welcome to the Boards here as this is an amazing first post from you.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Surprised CGC would give the book an Universal label as opposed to a Qualified label then. 

Since the scan indicates it does have interior pages in there, any idea how many pages and if they correspond to the same pages that's supposed to be in the regular edition of this AMF V2#3?  hm

I never cracked it out

I believe I asked about this copy and was told that the interior is that of a different issue.  It was evidently produced for some unknown editorial purpose.

13 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I believe I asked about this copy and was told that the interior is that of a different issue.  It was evidently produced for some unknown editorial purpose.

Sounds almost like one of those ashcan copies that DC did for copyright purposes.  (shrug)

On 8/29/2017 at 1:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Wow, so you are the bidder who beat me out on both copies of this book here, although I must admit that I had already dropped out by then as I about 2 or 3 bid increments behind you in both cases.  :pullhair:

Although AMF V2#3 does indeed have a beautiful cover image, any other reason why you would go after both copies of the same issue instead of going after AMF's V2#2 or V2#6 since both of these issues also have gorgeous cover images, were in approximately the same grade (CGC 8.0 to CGC 8.5), and their final prices also finished up in roughly the same ballpark?  hm

BTW:  Huge congrats on your pickups and Welcome to the Boards here as this is an amazing first post from you.  (thumbsu

Thanks for the compliment!  I went heavy on V2#3 because I once had a copy and, in an economic downturn, had to sell my collection.  I have returned in the last 3 years and have picked up the ones i missed the most.  Some I can't replace because they are through the roof right now(Detective 31 and 33 come to mind). I've looked at all the AMF covers, and you are right:  there are many cool ones out there.  I guess V2#2 I don't like better than #3, so couldn't justify getting into that bidding war.  The #2 ended up hammering at about $1000 more than the #3.  I love V2#1 and bid heavily(more than on the V2#3), but fell short.  The V2#6 is great, too.  Actually, I wish I'd gotten all those books, but ya gotta pick your battles.

FYI, after bidding on ComicConnect's Berk AMFs, I was so shocked to see all the same books, in higher grades, come onto the market.  These books are truly scarce.  So I called Vincent Zurzola and asked him if he knew about the Heritage AMFs at the time he was selling Berk's AMFs, and he said no.  The first he learned was the same way the rest of us learned:  from the Heritage catalogs.

The 1st image below, in case you don't have your Gerber's open before you, is V2#1.  The second image, on the right, is the V2#2, and the one next to it is the V2#6.

By the way, I've attached a 4th image of the book designated by Overstreet as a classic cover.  And  apparently the   bidding public agrees, since it went for significantly more than the others:

V2#1 went for $7700, V2#2 went for $5500,  V2#3 went for $4300, and the last imaage, V2#5 went for $11,300!!??  Do you agree that the V2#5 is a classic cover?

And there you have it59a70b8b13b94_IMG_2416(1).thumb.PNG.9a77e653c6643653d005eefcd74fbf32.PNGIMG_2417.thumb.PNG.f311e1110683e8f620ee92deab39c65f.PNGIMG_2418.thumb.PNG.a9fa9230d97e5ce872e29bff7b43fe69.PNGIMG_2419.thumb.PNG.22b44de5e1162d578ba3a577d2758593.PNG

21 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:
On 8/28/2017 at 11:36 PM, lou_fine said:

Thanks for the compliment!  I went heavy on V2#3 because I once had a copy and, in an economic downturn, had to sell my collection.  I have returned in the last 3 years and have picked up the ones i missed the most.  Some I can't replace because they are through the roof right now(Detective 31 and 33 come to mind). I've looked at all the AMF covers, and you are right:  there are many cool ones out there.  I guess V2#2 I don't like better than #3, so couldn't justify getting into that bidding war.  The #2 ended up hammering at about $1000 more than the #3.  I love V2#1 and bid heavily(more than on the V2#3), but fell short.  The V2#6 is great, too.  Actually, I wish I'd gotten all those books, but ya gotta pick your battles.

FYI, after bidding on ComicConnect's Berk AMFs, I was so shocked to see all the same books, in higher grades, come onto the market.  These books are truly scarce.  So I called Vincent Zurzola and asked him if he knew about the Heritage AMFs at the time he was selling Berk's AMFs, and he said no.  The first he learned was the same way the rest of us learned:  from the Heritage catalogs.

By the way, I've attached a 4th image of the book designated by Overstreet as a classic cover.  And  apparently the   bidding public agrees, since it went for significantly more than the others:

V2#1 went for $7700, V2#2 went for $5500,  V2#3 went for $4300, and the last imaage, V2#5 went for $11,300!!??  Do you agree that the V2#5 is a classic cover?

It looks like we have similar tastes as I've always particularly loved the covers for the short run of AMF's from AMF #3 right through to AMF V2#6.  An absolutely beautiful combination of colours on those covers there makes them a real standout in any collection.  :cloud9:

I was lucky enough to nab the Berk copy of V2#2 and it truly looks beautiful in hand and better than the CC scan.  I was rather surprised that the V2#2 in the Heritage auction did not go up any further in the live portion of the auction, as compared to all of the other AMF's which did managed to move further up in the live auction.  Although the prices were indeed high on virtually all of these early AMF Centaur books, bidding during the 3-minute extended time period left me the impression that for a good portion of the battle at the end, it was really down to only 2 bidders battling it out.  hm

Yes, it seems like it's either feast or famine with these HTF Centaurs.  We've now had 3 batches of them come out in the past few months starting with Berk's copies during the CC auction, then the Heritage batch which was then followed by the ones from Motor City which they had picked up last year and sold during this year's SDCC.  I guess when it comes to books like these or some of the HTF Fox books, you either pay up when they are available in the marketplace or you might have to wait another 20+ years for them to reappear again, as was the case with the Berk Fox books. 

Now that you mentioned AMF V2#5, I still remembered being down in one of the mid 90's SDCC's and Pat Kochanek was walking around with the Church copy of this book showing everybody that there was absolutely nothing better than a Church with the blues, reds, and greens on the cover.  :luhv:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

It looks like we have similar tastes as I've always particularly loved the covers for the short run of AMF's from AMF #3 right through to AMF V2#6.  An absolutely beautiful combination of colours on those covers there makes them a real standout in any collection.  :cloud9:

I was lucky enough to nab the Berk copy of V2#2 and it truly looks beautiful in hand and better than the CC scan.  I was rather surprised that the V2#2 in the Heritage auction did not go up any further in the live portion of the auction, as compared to all of the other AMF's which did managed to move further up in the live auction.  Although the prices were indeed high on virtually all of these early AMF Centaur books, bidding during the 3-minute extended time period left me the impression that for a good portion of the battle at the end, it was really down to only 2 bidders battling it out.  hm

Yes, it seems like it's either feast or famine with these HTF Centaurs.  We've now had 3 batches of them come out in the past few months starting with Berk's copies during the CC auction, then the Heritage batch which was then followed by the ones from Motor City which they had picked up last year and sold during this year's SDCC.  I guess when it comes to books like these or some of the HTF Fox books, you either pay up when they are available in the marketplace or you might have to wait another 20+ years for them to reappear again, as was the case with the Berk Fox books. 

Now that you mentioned AMF V2#5, I still remembered being down in one of the mid 90's SDCC's and Pat Kochanek was walking around with the Church copy of this book showing everybody that there was absolutely nothing better than a Church with the blues, reds, and greens on the cover.  :luhv:

as will be noted in my daily centaur thread, I won the amf 1/2, 1/3, 2/1, 2/2 and 2/5 heritage copies... I already had a comparable 1/4, 2/3,2/4 and 2/6 so didn't go after those...and I took the 1/1 to about 9K before I bowed out, knowing I had the 7.5 Larson coming my way

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

as will be noted in my daily centaur thread, I won the amf 1/2, 1/3, 2/1, 2/2 and 2/5 heritage copies... I already had a comparable 1/4, 2/3,2/4 and 2/6 so didn't go after those...and I took the 1/1 to about 9K before I bowed out, knowing I had the 7.5 Larson coming my way

Well, I figured it had to be an avid and passionate AMF collector hoarder (tsk)  like you that was going after all of these books, even though you already have lower graded copies of them already.  Looks like you was wiling to not only step up to the plate for them, but also to out battle almost everybody else for them.  :slapfight:  lol

Don't even think about going Fox hunting since they are out of season right now and also throughout the rest of the year for you.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I figured it had to be an avid and passionate AMF collector hoarder (tsk)  like you that was going after all of these books, even though you already have lower graded copies of them already.  Looks like you was wiling to not only step up to the plate for them, but also to out battle almost everybody else for them.  :slapfight:  lol

Don't even think about going Fox hunting since they are out of season right now and also throughout the rest of the year for you.  :gossip:

I collected fox books 2008-2012 I believe. Been there, done that , not revisiting. lol

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I collected fox books 2008-2012 I believe. Been there, done that , not revisiting. lol

Did you ever finished the entire Fox run similar to how you managed to complete your Centaur run here?  hm

Whatever happened to your Fox books or did you already sell most of them off to acquire your centaur books?

BTW:  You should never say never because is this not your second go round and complete run of Centaur books?  :bigsmile: