• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2017 Edition)
1 1

305 posts in this topic

Based on actual sales records, CA 1 is 7th on the top sales records for GA books:

1. Action 1 9.0 $3.2 million

2. D27 8.0 $1.075 million

3. Bat 1 9.2 $567K

4. Flash 1 9.6 $450K

5. Superman 1 4.5 $358K

6. MC 1 9.0 $350K

7. CA 1 9.2 $343K

But, "my personal coolness factor evaluation" of GA comics would have the top 3 as follows:

1. Action 1

2. D 27

3. MC 1

Edited by sfcityduck

Comparing a pedigree to a non pedigree 9 months after the fact is simply specious.  Just like comparing sales that are years and multiple grades apart.  But I get it, resales data for Cap 1 is slim compared to the far more commonly available Bats 1.  There was an 8.0 sale a year and a half ago and that's it, and the book surged significantly since then.  Would that book go for that now ? lol Yeah sure.   But here's what there is from now. 

Coverless:  Bats 1, 4/17- $7500

Cap 1, 11/16- $10,755 (raw,                      but here's the link to it:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-1-timely-1941-condition-coverless/a/7141-91073.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

0.5:  Bats 1, Signature series, (not restored) 3/16- $10,500

Cap 1, Restored, trimmed 2/17- $19,700

1.0/1.5:  Bats 1, 1.5,12/15 (this is the oldest sale I'm using because it's all there is and the closest to the Cap 1)- $40k

Cap 1, 1.0 (one grade lower), 7/17- $36k

2.5:  Bats 1 1/17- $80k

Cap 1 7/17- Offer of $78k on comiclink, not accepted by seller.

So as you can see, the most recent and similar like for like sales show Cap 1 with the edge now.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

13 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Comparing a pedigree to a non pedigree 9 months after the fact is simply specious.  Just like comparing sales that are years and multiple grades apart.  But I get it, resales data for Cap 1 is slim compared to the far more commonly available Bats 1.  There was an 8.0 sale a year and a half ago and that's it, and the book surged significantly since then.  Would that book go for that now ? lol Yeah sure.   But here's what there is from now. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-1-timely-1941-condition-coverless/a/7141-91073.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

0.5:  Bats 1, Signature series, Blue label 3/16- $10,500

Cap 1, Restrored, trimmed 2/17- $19,700

1.0/1.5:  Bats 1, 1.5,12/15 (this is the oldest sale I'm using because it's all there is and the closest to the Cap 1)- $40k

So as you can see, the most recent and similar like for like sales show Cap 1 with the edge now.  (thumbsu

-J.

So the discussion is not over :)   On a aside, there are 6 Bats 1's on EBay not to mention a back cover and single pages--hard to get excited when there are so many copies ready available.  Great and important book with a classic cover (yes) but still not the first appearance of B & R so it can't match Cap for my $.  FIrst appearance Robin and the Joker---that's different........

47 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

0.5:  Bats 1, Signature series, (not restored) 3/16- $10,500

Cap 1, Restored, trimmed 2/17- $19,700

So as you can see, the most recent and similar like for like sales show Cap 1 with the edge now. 

Every reference made was to entry level and restored copies.

When it comes to the mid to high grade universal copies there is no contest.

Edited by Gotham Kid

33 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

2016 (eons ago ... meh)

Cap 1 8.0 288K

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=650298

Bats 1 8.0 390K

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=682290

Discussion over.

Are you sure that Bats 1 sale actually went through?  It isn't being reported to GPA, while the Cap 1 sale is.

Don't think my Tec 33 was reported to GPA either (at least not for a long while) yet I have it in hand. :smile:

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Entry level and restored copies.

When it comes to the higher grades there is no contest.

Mid grade blue bat 1 is about 20k ahead of cap 1 based on 4 sales I was involved in , in the past year 

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

Mid grade blue bat 1 is about 20k ahead of cap 1 based on 4 sales I was involved in , in the past year

and there you have it, from one of the guys that probably sells more cap1 and bats1 than any other.

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Every reference made was to entry level and restored copies.

When it comes to the mid to high grade universal copies there is no contest.

Who knows ?  (shrug) Bats 1 in those grades have been coming up publicly fairly regularly.  Cap 1?  Not so much.  

But to say Bats 1 sells for more in every grade except the ones it doesn't is kind of silly. lol

-J.

Entry level, as we have discussed many times, doesn't generally follow any accepted ppp ...too many variables at that low of a grade

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Who knows ?  (shrug) Bats 1 in those grades have been coming up publicly fairly regularly.  Cap 1?  Not so much.  

But to say Bats 1 sells for more in every grade except the ones it doesn't is kind of silly. lol

-J.

I've sold 3 cap 1s in past 6 months. 

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Just saying that for entry level and restored cap1 gives bats1 a run for its money. Not so much for higher grade copies.

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Just saying that for entry level and restored cap1 gives bats1 a run for its money. Not so much for higher grade copies.

I will grant you that, at current, there are a couple of sky high Bats 1 sales that a Cap 1 would not likely reach if it came up in those grades publicly. The 3.5 for 143k and the 5.5 for 239k. We will just have to wait and see for a Cap 1 to come up for sale publicly to see how it would compare in those additional grades.  

But as of now, in the lower grades that have come up, edge to Cap 1.  Edge to Bats 1 in mid grade? Time will tell.... :)

Edited by Jaydogrules

5 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I will grant you that, at current, there are a couple of sky high Bats 1 sales that a Cap 1 would not likely reach if it came up in those grades publicly.

What point are you trying to make between public auctions and private transactions?

17 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The fact that everybody can see and the playing field is level with the former.  

-J.

And yet it seems the majority of these books change hands not in public venues. I for one don't need an auction (and a loss of 10%+) to sell a golden age key.  Just because results are not public doesnt diminish the results , it only minimizes the conclusions one can draw only using public data 

Edited by G.A.tor

Just now, G.A.tor said:

And yet it seems the majority of these books change hands not in public venues. I for one don't need an auction (and a loss of 10%+) to sell a golden age key.  Just because results are not public doesnt diminish the results 

I hear you.  But while private sales between individuals are certainly valid as far as those two individuals are concerned, for these types of conversations and analyses, sales done and recorded publicly, information that is accessible and viewable to everybody, keeps the playing field level and the conversation honest. 

-J.