• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2017 Edition)
1 1

305 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

If I had to rank those in the top 6

action 1

detective 27

superman 1

batman 1

captain America 1

marvel 1

This, all day every day. (thumbsu

Edited by thedude

If we are balancing and factoring "value" relative to "significance" of those 6, I would do:

1) Action 1

2) Tec 27

3) Cap 1 (because this, the top Timely, should be in the Top 3 over 3 other books that all, in one form or another, feature reprinted/recycled material)

4) Superman 1

5) Marvel 1

6) Batman 1

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 7/4/2017 at 11:51 AM, Knightsofold said:

When I ranked attainable (low to mid) copies of the books against each other I came up with this list:

Ranked within the tiers as well for me.

One way I decided was if I put 2 books on a table, which one would all the boardies, dealers, and auction houses try to grab first?

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Superman #1

Tier-2

Batman #1

Captain America Comics #1

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #29

Marvel Comics #1

Action Comics #10

Tier-3

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #35

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

Action Comics #13

Flash Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

All-Star Comics #8

More Fun Comics #73

More Fun Comics #52

Detective Comics #38

Tier-4

Wonder Woman #1

Sensation Comics #1

Detective #36

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Adventure Comics #40

Captain America #3

Detective #37

Green Lantern #1

All-Star Comics #3

How would you change my list Gator?

I'd rather have Cap #1 than Batman #1. First appearance of a major, historically important character with one of the all-time classic covers in Comics. Batman #1 has the 1st appearance of the Joker, but is that comparable to the first Appearance of Captain America? I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'd rather have Cap #1 than Batman #1. First appearance of a major, historically important character with one of the all-time classic covers in Comics. Batman #1 has the 1st appearance of the Joker, but is that comparable to the first Appearance of Captain America? I'm not sure.

Sounds like you sure ?  Cap 1 > Bats 1

12 hours ago, Knightsofold said:
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, Knightsofold said:

When I ranked attainable (low to mid) copies of the books against each other I came up with this list:

Ranked within the tiers as well for me.

One way I decided was if I put 2 books on a table, which one would all the boardies, dealers, and auction houses try to grab first?

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Superman #1

Tier-2

Batman #1

Captain America Comics #1

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #29

Marvel Comics #1

Action Comics #10

Tier-3

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #35

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

Action Comics #13

Flash Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

All-Star Comics #8

More Fun Comics #73

More Fun Comics #52

Detective Comics #38

Tier-4

Wonder Woman #1

Sensation Comics #1

Detective #36

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Adventure Comics #40

Captain America #3

Detective #37

Green Lantern #1

All-Star Comics #3

How would you change my list Gator?

off the top of my head I would drop action 10 to tier 3 and move whiz 2 and AS 8 to tier 2

would also move WW 1 and Sens 1 to tier 3

outside of that, not much I immediately see that I have a problem with (though, these lists are largely our "opinions", so there is no "wrong" answer)

there's some books omitted (like Pep 22, archie 1, even books like Suspense 3/Fantastic 3 seem to transcend now  etc) that I would place in the "hierarchy"

13 minutes ago, woowoo said:

All-Star Comics #8

All-American Comics #16

The 8 ahead of 16 :news:

The thing with All-American Comics #16 is when people think of Green Lantern they don't think of Alan Scott.  Same thing with Jay Garrick as the FLASH.

That is such a huge factor I would think? hm

12 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The thing with All-American Comics #16 is when people think of Green Lantern they don't think of Alan Scott.  Same thing with Jay Garrick as the FLASH.

That is such a huge factor I would think? hm

No doubt but personally I still consider it the  characters first appearance.  I'm intrigued by both those books ( the scarcity or rareity ) only adds to their appeal for me.  Their addition to comic history and 2 cool covers.  My gut tells me in the next 3 years both these books will take on a brand new momentum. 

20 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

G.A. tor's been raining on my AA 16 parade since I signed up for the boards :baiting:

It's a great book. But to say Alan Scott is more important or in more demand today than Wonder Woman is passé imo

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

No doubt but personally I still consider it the  characters first appearance.  I'm intrigued by both those books ( the scarcity or rareity ) only adds to their appeal for me.  Their addition to comic history and 2 cool covers.  My gut tells me in the next 3 years both these books will take on a brand new momentum. 

Only if Alan Scott and jay Garrick somehow become relevant to new buyers. 

To existing folks, they are already  greatly desired. So something must ignite new demand

33 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

there's some books omitted (like Pep 22, archie 1, even books like Suspense 3/Fantastic 3 seem to transcend now  etc) that I would place in the "hierarchy"

+1

I agree with you 110%, especially with respect to the Pep 22 which I would probably put right up there in Tier 2.  (thumbsu