• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2017 Edition)
1 1

305 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Only if Alan Scott and jay Garrick somehow become relevant to new buyers. 

To existing folks, they are already  greatly desired. So something must ignite new demand

Jay Garrick is on TV.  The kids know who GA Flash and SA Flash are because of TV.  They don't necessarily understand what has been happening in the comics with Flash the past 30 years.

Just now, sfcityduck said:

Jay Garrick is on TV.  The kids know who GA Flash and SA Flash are because of TV.  They don't necessarily understand what has been happening in the comics with Flash the past 30 years.

he has been, indeed...and that hasn't been enough to propel interest...I suspect because its generally a 5 figure book...not a lot of tv viewers will be inspired to spend 20k to get Jay's comic (especially when available in reprint, etc)...

that's why Flash 1 and AA 16, Adv 40, MF 52 etc have lingered behind the big 3 DC wise...imo

18 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
20 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

he has been, indeed...and that hasn't been enough to propel interest...I suspect because its generally a 5 figure book...not a lot of tv viewers will be inspired to spend 20k to get Jay's comic (especially when available in reprint, etc)...

that's why Flash 1 and AA 16, Adv 40, MF 52 etc have lingered behind the big 3 DC wise...imo

Is the Riverdale TV series adding any additional fuel to the fire for the early Archie books or is it still based primarily on covers for now such as Archie 50 and Pep 34?  hm

I believe it probably wouldn't for Pep 22 since it's already clearly a 6-figure book in grade.

57 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is the Riverdale TV series adding any additional fuel to the fire for the early Archie books or is it still based primarily on covers for now such as Archie 50 and Pep 34?  hm

I believe it probably wouldn't for Pep 22 since it's already clearly a 6-figure book in grade.

Has created interest in the new riverdale book. But I'm not a big believer that these tv and movies bring in hoards after old vintage  comics. 

Definitely sparks interest in new series. But vintage comics i see with "movie" demand comes from existing collectors  

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

off the top of my head I would drop action 10 to tier 3 and move whiz 2 and AS 8 to tier 2

would also move WW 1 and Sens 1 to tier 3

outside of that, not much I immediately see that I have a problem with (though, these lists are largely our "opinions", so there is no "wrong" answer)

there's some books omitted (like Pep 22, archie 1, even books like Suspense 3/Fantastic 3 seem to transcend now  etc) that I would place in the "hierarchy"

Thanks G.A.tor!  I agree with you and changed the list.  I have little to no knowledge of Whiz 1 and All American, so their place was good to know. 

For fun, would any Silver Age rank up in here?  Remember, we're not talking the highest grade.  I placed Showcase #4 and Amazing Fantasy #15 based on entry levels I've seen.

Ranked within the tiers. Low to Mid grades.

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Superman #1

Tier-2

Batman #1

Captain America Comics #1

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #29

Marvel Comics #1

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

All-Star Comics #8

Tier-3

Action Comics #10

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #35

Action Comics #13

Flash Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

More Fun Comics #73

More Fun Comics #52

Detective Comics #38

Wonder Woman #1

Sensation Comics #1

Tier-4

Detective #36

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Adventure Comics #40

Amazing Fantasy #15

Showcase #4

Captain America #3

Detective #37

Green Lantern #1

All-Star Comics #3

10 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:
2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

there's some books omitted (like Pep 22, archie 1, even books like Suspense 3/Fantastic 3 seem to transcend now  etc) that I would place in the "hierarchy"

Thanks G.A.tor!  I agree with you and changed the list.  I have little to no knowledge of Whiz 1 and All American, so their place was good to know. 

For fun, would any Silver Age rank up in here?  Remember, we're not talking the highest grade.  I placed Showcase #4 and Amazing Fantasy #15 based on entry levels I've seen.

I still don't see Pep 22 in there and any Top GA Hierarchy List would be incomplete without this key book, from my personal point of view.  hm

Especially since it is already in the Top 10 in the Overstreet Guide and most probably moving higher up the chart going forward.  (thumbsu

20 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Superman #1

Tier-2

Batman #1

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #29

Marvel Comics #1

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

All-Star Comics #8

Tier-3

Action Comics #10

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #35

Action Comics #13

Flash Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

More Fun Comics #73

More Fun Comics #52

Detective Comics #38

Wonder Woman #1

Sensation Comics #1

Tier-4

Detective #36

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Adventure Comics #40

Captain America #3

Detective #37

Green Lantern #1

All-Star Comics #3

Dig the list (thumbsu but yeah, missing Pep22

p.s. That would make a terrific WTB list

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Superman #1

Tier-2

Batman #1

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #29

Marvel Comics #1

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

All-Star Comics #8

Tier-3

Action Comics #10

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #35

Action Comics #13

Flash Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

More Fun Comics #73

More Fun Comics #52

Detective Comics #38

Wonder Woman #1

Sensation Comics #1

Tier-4

Detective #36

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Adventure Comics #40

Amazing Fantasy #15

Showcase #4

Captain America #3

Detective #37

Green Lantern #1

All-Star Comics #3

Good list,but I would put Amazing #15 in tier 2. 

:whistle:

18 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Good list,but I would put Amazing #15 in tier 2. 

:whistle:

And if we're hypothesizing including silver age, it's ludicrous not to include FF1 just because the movie franchise has cooled off (or thrown liquid nitrogen on) THE GREATEST COMIC MAGAZINE IN THE WORLD!!

(Although I concede that AF15 could/should be placed higher because it introduces ONE character - perhaps the greatest superhero of them all.)

Edited by PopKulture

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Superman #1

Tier-2

Batman #1

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #29

Marvel Comics #1

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

All-Star Comics #8

Tier-3

Action Comics #10

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #35

Action Comics #13

Flash Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

More Fun Comics #73

More Fun Comics #52

Detective Comics #38

Wonder Woman #1

Sensation Comics #1

Tier-4

Detective #36

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Adventure Comics #40

Amazing Fantasy #15

Showcase #4

Captain America #3

Detective #37

Green Lantern #1

All-Star Comics #3

I'd like to see the above  tiers ranked by unrestored census numbers but I'm too lazy to do it myself. 

2 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Superman #1

Tier-2

Batman #1

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #29

Marvel Comics #1

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

All-Star Comics #8

Tier-3

Action Comics #10

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #35

Action Comics #13

Flash Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

More Fun Comics #73

More Fun Comics #52

Detective Comics #38

Wonder Woman #1

Sensation Comics #1

Tier-4

Detective #36

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Adventure Comics #40

Amazing Fantasy #15

Showcase #4

Captain America #3

Detective #37

Green Lantern #1

All-Star Comics #3

I like this list good job.  But like others have said, AF 15 should be higher.  In fact, it should be in Tier 1, which I also would say should be reserved for only major hero first appearances, and balanced to reflect both Marvel and DC contributions fairly.  Here is what a proper Tier 1 looks like IMO:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Amazing Fantasy #15

Captain America Comics #1

I would then drop Superman #1 to the first slot in Tier 2, followed by Batman #1, and then the rest of your list pretty much as is.  (thumbsu

-J.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Also as far as total value for any particular book goes, I'd assume at this point the value of All existing copies of AF 15 adds up to more than any of the other 3, but its kinda impossible to know without knowing the exact numbers that are around.

I am quite sure that from an overall "market cap" point of view, that AF 15 is probably the most valuable comic book in existence today.  hm

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I am quite sure that from an overall "market cap" point of view, that AF 15 is probably the most valuable comic book in existence today.  hm

I think the numbers would support that as well. Think about it: Spidey capitalization is greater than that of the hallowed Action 1 starring one of the most important characters in all of fiction.

Sort of makes you scratch your head similarly to when you hear that Tesla has a higher market cap than Ford. (shrug)

Edited by PopKulture

So... you guys are saying if someone put a mid grade AF#15 with all the Tier 2 books in midgrade and said you could have one, you'd pick the AF#15??

(Tier-2 Batman #1, Captain America Comics #1, Action Comics #7, Detective Comics #31, Detective Comics #29, Marvel Comics #1, Whiz Comics #2 (#1) or All-Star Comics #8)

I don't think I could take the AF#15.

6 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

So... you guys are saying if someone put a mid grade AF#15 with all the Tier 2 books in midgrade and said you could have one, you'd pick the AF#15??

(Tier-2 Batman #1, Captain America Comics #1, Action Comics #7, Detective Comics #31, Detective Comics #29, Marvel Comics #1, Whiz Comics #2 (#1) or All-Star Comics #8)

I'm not saying that... necessarily. The point had been made that ALL the AF15's are possibly/probably worth more than ALL the Action 1's.

I would take a high grade AF15 over a high grade Batman 1 or the Tec31, as neither are close to Bat's first appearance, and the Action 7, again, not Supe's first appearance. And it's tough to argue that Whiz 2 or AS8 is as important as AF15 (they aren't). So, yes, in low to mid grade, there are just too many AF15's to justify it being more desirable than all the Tier 2 books listed, but as the grade climbs, the margins narrow rapidly.

How about this: put the highest graded AS8, Whiz2 or even Tec31 or Action 7 on a table next to the highest graded AF15 (is there a 9.8 yet?) and ask all the attendees at SDCC or one of the big cons which book they would choose. I dare say it won't even be close!

p.s. And I'm not a ravenous silver age guy or something. I'm just looking at the historical importance of the books.

47 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I'm not saying that... necessarily. The point had been made that ALL the AF15's are possibly/probably worth more than ALL the Action 1's.

I would take a high grade AF15 over a high grade Batman 1 or the Tec31, as neither are close to Bat's first appearance, and the Action 7, again, not Supe's first appearance. And it's tough to argue that Whiz 2 or AS8 is as important as AF15 (they aren't). So, yes, in low to mid grade, there are just too many AF15's to justify it being more desirable than all the Tier 2 books listed, but as the grade climbs, the margins narrow rapidly.

How about this: put the highest graded AS8, Whiz2 or even Tec31 or Action 7 on a table next to the highest graded AF15 (is there a 9.8 yet?) and ask all the attendees at SDCC or one of the big cons which book they would choose. I dare say it won't even be close!

p.s. And I'm not a ravenous silver age guy or something. I'm just looking at the historical importance of the books.

W.W.G.D.   What would G.A.tor do?

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I think the numbers would support that as well. Think about it: Spidey capitalization is greater than that of the hallowed Action 1 starring one of the most important characters in all of fiction.

Sort of makes you scratch your head similarly to when you hear that Tesla has a higher market cap than Ford. (shrug)

Never thought of it this way.  The market value of all extant Incredible Hulk 181s also could exceed all extant Action 1s. 

But, so what?  The market value of all Toyota Prius cars likely exceeds the market value of all Tesla Model 3s.  But I'd rather drive a Tesla than a Prius and own an Action 1 than a Hulk 181.