• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

I miss WonderCon but not SDCC so much. John at Torpedo has done an excellent job of replacing it for LA comic collectors. Nice to pick the stock of the National dealers before they make it down to SDCC...:devil:

You really should drive up. Saw a number of SD collectors on Friday. Same thing with Terry’s show. Both like “old school” SDCC. 

On 7/25/2021 at 2:08 PM, Robot Man said:

I miss WonderCon but not SDCC so much. John at Torpedo has done an excellent job of replacing it for LA comic collectors. Nice to pick the stock of the National dealers before they make it down to SDCC...:devil:

You really should drive up. Saw a number of SD collectors on Friday. Same thing with Terry’s show. Both like “old school” SDCC. 

Had my three day pass for Torpedo con but some family situations occurred that made going not feasible, will have to see if SDCC has a small show in November to get my comic fix this year.

Really appreciate the pictures.  It's been too long since I attended a good comic book convention.  SDCC holds no interest for me but this Torpedo Con looks top notch.  I'm aiming for OAFCON this fall.  From what I hear, OAFCON is another old-school convention that focuses on the important things: comic books!

On 7/25/2021 at 9:22 PM, Black Bat said:

I really found out how much I miss holding books and looking them over in person when buying- how much more discerning I am!  I was really savoring it today at Torpedo.

Any good pick-ups?

On 7/25/2021 at 8:38 AM, Robot Man said:

It just never gets old. Always something to discover. I can’t express how great it was to get out to a real show. Really missed it. Were you there fifties? Well worth attending. 

I had thought about going today, Sunday, but 30 bucks entrance fee, and another 20 to 30 for parking just seemed ridiculously expensive.  Especially since I dropped 3 grand at HA this month.

Edited by fifties

On 7/25/2021 at 8:16 PM, mlansdown said:

Really appreciate the pictures.  It's been too long since I attended a good comic book convention.  SDCC holds no interest for me but this Torpedo Con looks top notch.  I'm aiming for OAFCON this fall.  From what I hear, OAFCON is another old-school convention that focuses on the important things: comic books!

Torpedo was designed for those of us who have been burned out by SDCC. The first couple were one day shows the week before SDCC and designed to get all the out of state dealers to hit deep pocketed and SDCC disalusioned SO CA collectors. A great opportunity to pick the best of the dealer’s stock before SDCC. This and Terry O’Neil’s one day Jan show are epic and shows I always look forward to. 

I would probably love OAFCON as well. I don’t think traveling to it this year would be in the cards for me this year though. 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:52 PM, fifties said:

I had thought about going today, Sunday, but 30 bucks entrance fee, and another 20 to 30 for parking just seemed ridiculously expensive.  Especially since I dropped 3 grand at HA this month.

I see your point I guess. It ain’t cheap anymore. I got my ticket in advance and paid $20. to park. I would much rather peruse the stock of a bunch of out of state dealers and box dive for deals as well as socialize and catch up with my comic loving friends than sit behind a computer alone buying overpriced HA auction books. I’ve spent the last year and a half only dealing on a computer. Was great to get out in the world again. 

Besides, the cost of going to this show was probably far less than the premiums you had to pay HA...

On 7/26/2021 at 8:41 AM, Robot Man said:

I see your point I guess. It ain’t cheap anymore. I got my ticket in advance and paid $20. to park. I would much rather peruse the stock of a bunch of out of state dealers and box dive for deals as well as socialize and catch up with my comic loving friends than sit behind a computer alone buying overpriced HA auction books. I’ve spent the last year and a half only dealing on a computer. Was great to get out in the world again. 

Besides, the cost of going to this show was probably far less than the premiums you had to pay HA...

Yeah, there's something to be said about getting out and being with humanity.  The last HA premium was 240 bucks -on a book I've been looking for for a dozen or more years.  One of L.B. Cole's best.  I'll post a scan when I receive it.

My pickups are all from Mr. Bedrock @bedrockcomics. I did a whole bunch of box diving at this show and it really pays off when you find gems like this. I even came across some runs of early Dennis the Menace books but the condition was a little too rough for me. The main thing I noticed at this show is the dealer's are dragging out a lot of the obscure stuff that I used to be the only one looking for at shows. Take a look at Bob's pictures and you'll notice a number of dealers with DC's Rex the Wonder Dog on the wall display. Other than issue #1 you rarely would see that. I suspect this is mainly a result of a scarcity of good super hero books rather than everyone buying this until now under appreciated material. Case in point is the Rudolph below which is another DC book that shows up infrequently. I also spotted some pretty interesting give away books and a couple of dealers had some interesting foreign editions as well. Great variety and something for every budget and taste at this show.

Hey @Robot Man did that IW reprint with the Phantom Lady cover you picked up actually have a Phantom Lady story inside? IW was notorious for mixing and matching covers and interiors!!

Torpedo2021.thumb.jpg.76f2cdd130d734e8c8669bdad1997542.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 7/26/2021 at 4:24 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

My pickups are all from Mr. Bedrock @bedrockcomics. I did a whole bunch of box diving at this show and it really pays off when you find gems like this. I even came across some runs of early Dennis the Menace books but the condition was a little too rough for me. The main thing I noticed at this show is the dealer's are dragging out a lot of the obscure stuff that I used to be the only one looking for at shows. Take a look at Bob's pictures and you'll notice a number of dealers with DC's Rex the Wonder Dog on the wall display. Other than issue #1 you rarely would see that. I suspect this is mainly a result of a scarcity of good super hero books rather than everyone buying this until now under appreciated material. Case in point is the Rudolph below which is another DC book that shows up infrequently. I also spotted some pretty interesting give away books and a couple of dealers had some interesting foreign editions as well. Great variety and something for every budget and taste at this show.

Hey @Robot Man did that IW reprint with the Phantom Lady cover you picked up actually have a Phantom Lady story inside? IW was notorious for mixing and matching covers and interiors!!

Torpedo2021.thumb.jpg.76f2cdd130d734e8c8669bdad1997542.jpg

50 Years and I were elbow to elbow in Bedrock’s boxes. The Rudolph was a steal. Tough book. Unusual and real affordable books. I bought a nice stack. Yeah, unusual wall books. I saw a copy of Rex #5 on the wall. A great book that seems to have gotton hot recently.

Yep, the Great Action does indeed have 3 Baker Fox stories. Condition? A little funky but at $5. The cheapest Phantom Lady that you can get. 

The deals are always there if you open your mind and do a little work. 

89B73F07-8E61-4C9E-A1E1-1F9966338D68.jpeg

BFA36A77-9064-45F0-8F42-DF9D9C6048D1.jpeg

5BF5E64C-4DAD-4FF2-B6A6-6945D052DADF.jpeg

On 7/26/2021 at 8:16 PM, Robot Man said:

50 Years and I were elbow to elbow in Bedrock’s boxes. The Rudolph was a steal. Tough book. Unusual and real affordable books. I bought a nice stack. Yeah, unusual wall books. I saw a copy of Rex #5 on the wall. A great book that seems to have gotton hot recently.

Yep, the Great Action does indeed have 3 Baker Fox stories. Condition? A little funky but at $5. The cheapest Phantom Lady that you can get. 

The deals are always there if you open your mind and do a little work. 

89B73F07-8E61-4C9E-A1E1-1F9966338D68.jpeg

BFA36A77-9064-45F0-8F42-DF9D9C6048D1.jpeg

5BF5E64C-4DAD-4FF2-B6A6-6945D052DADF.jpeg

That's got to the be the find of the show!

Torpedocon was a great show and I went to the 2018 one in the hotel and then the 2019 one that was over at the Palladium. I was going to go to the 2020 one but that was announced and then cancelled. I skipped this year but plan on being back next year. It's probably my second favorite show after the local Berkley Con up here; which is resuming Aug 7th. 

I always prefer digging through boxes and seeing what I can find over buying online so I'm glad shows are back.

Looks like you got some good books there Robot Man. Digging in the boxes pays off.