• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2021 at 10:16 PM, Robot Man said:

50 Years and I were elbow to elbow in Bedrock’s boxes. The Rudolph was a steal. Tough book. Unusual and real affordable books. I bought a nice stack. Yeah, unusual wall books. I saw a copy of Rex #5 on the wall. A great book that seems to have gotton hot recently.

Yep, the Great Action does indeed have 3 Baker Fox stories. Condition? A little funky but at $5. The cheapest Phantom Lady that you can get. 

The deals are always there if you open your mind and do a little work. 

89B73F07-8E61-4C9E-A1E1-1F9966338D68.jpeg

BFA36A77-9064-45F0-8F42-DF9D9C6048D1.jpeg

5BF5E64C-4DAD-4FF2-B6A6-6945D052DADF.jpeg

"The Adventure of the Jade Maiden" might have been pencilled by Baker, but the inking is so bad that it doesn't look like him. A common problem with many Iger books with Baker art. 

"The Saturnalia of Sin" is pencilled by Jack Kamen, but again the inking is bad, so it's hard to tell it's drawn by Jack. 

On 7/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, oceans11 said:

Torpedocon was a great show and I went to the 2018 one in the hotel and then the 2019 one that was over at the Palladium. I was going to go to the 2020 one but that was announced and then cancelled. I skipped this year but plan on being back next year. It's probably my second favorite show after the local Berkley Con up here; which is resuming Aug 7th. 

I always prefer digging through boxes and seeing what I can find over buying online so I'm glad shows are back.

Looks like you got some good books there Robot Man. Digging in the boxes pays off. 

I sure have missed box digging. I pretty much just collect GA so it isn’t that hard. I look at all the boxes from superhero to humor and even western.  Lots of unusual stuff turns up. Although I have a want list, I impulse buy a lot of stuff. I do check out wall books and occasionally buy them as well but there are bargains to be had in the boxes for those willing to put in the work. 

Torpedo due to the large amount of big out of state dealers is one of my favorites. As is Terry’s one day Jan show. I have yet to make the Berkley show yet. Just never seems to concide with my occasional trips to the Bay Area. I hope to make one soon though as it seems like my kind of show. I miss going through my buddy Ray Storch’s boxes. I believe these smaller one or two day shows are now the future for hard core vintage comic buyers. 

On 7/29/2021 at 8:31 AM, Robot Man said:

I sure have missed box digging. I pretty much just collect GA so it isn’t that hard. I look at all the boxes from superhero to humor and even western.  Lots of unusual stuff turns up. Although I have a want list, I impulse buy a lot of stuff. I do check out wall books and occasionally buy them as well but there are bargains to be had in the boxes for those willing to put in the work. 

Torpedo due to the large amount of big out of state dealers is one of my favorites. As is Terry’s one day Jan show. I have yet to make the Berkley show yet. Just never seems to concide with my occasional trips to the Bay Area. I hope to make one soon though as it seems like my kind of show. I miss going through my buddy Ray Storch’s boxes. I believe these smaller one or two day shows are now the future for hard core vintage comic buyers. 

The smaller shows are certainly more GA/SA comic book friendly. By razor focusing every Ga/SA comic book collector wins and that is the advantage of the small show. The advantage of the big show is the big guns come out, such as Ha etc. I think with increased interest in our comic book world that attendance next year, if 99% virus free will be record attendance for types of shows. I agree Robo, there is nothing like going thru a box of GA "lesser" books either condition or book type and finding treasure like you did above on the PL. I hope more smaller shows pop up.

I have no interest in the “big guns” like HA. They are not comic sellers. I rarely if ever, buy anything from them anyway. The large auction houses are like the big toy company booths. I take a quick look and move on.

I cringe at the thought of all the movies and publicity about high prices will further crowd shows like SDCC and the like. The reason I stopped going several years ago. 

I actually think these big shows are going to have a hard time in the future. Covid hit them hard and just created more smaller local comic centric shows. Comic collectors are moving away from large trade and media shows. 

And, there are often a lot of lessor” books in the boxes. The America’s Best #4 and Prize #26 came out of boxes. Had they been on the wall, I would have missed them for sure. 

On 7/29/2021 at 6:39 AM, Sarg said:

"The Adventure of the Jade Maiden" might have been pencilled by Baker, but the inking is so bad that it doesn't look like him. A common problem with many Iger books with Baker art. 

"The Saturnalia of Sin" is pencilled by Jack Kamen, but again the inking is bad, so it's hard to tell it's drawn by Jack. 

This post reminded me of how as a kid I ran into Jerry Iger at the 1974 NY Seuling shows. There he was roaming the aisles and looking at comic boxes like me! I don't remember how we started talking or how I found out who he was but I think he might have been amazed that a 13 year old knew about his comic shop thanks to reading the Steranko History of Comics! Little did we know where things were going and he had no clue his nephew (Bob Iger) would one day be running one of the largest movie studios and buying Marvel Comics!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs