• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brian Hitch: Threat or Menace?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, eewwnuk said:

Michelangelo used photo referencing for his art?  :whatthe::whatthe: 

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

I know. What a cheat. 

And don't even me started on how much pizza he ate.  

2 hours ago, Skizz said:

Regarding photo referencing, I am in two minds about this.  Ultimately, comics are a storytelling medium and photo referencing is just a tool.  An interesting question to ask is that as long as the page makes an emotional impact to the reader, does it matter is any portion of it was photo referenced? 

I would argue that, from a storytelling perspective, no, it does not matter if the art was photo-referenced, unless it is done to an extent where it becomes distracting to the reader (e.g., swiping well-known likenesses of people, or very distinctive poses, composition, etc. from other popular media).  

From an artistic perspective, though, yes, I would argue that it does matter.  I really enjoyed CrossGen's fantasy series "Sojourn" back in the 2000s.  I think the artwork by Greg Land really worked too, for the most part...from a storytelling perspective.  But, the photoreferencing/swipes became more and more obvious over time ("hey, that was the pose from the SI Swimsuit issue!"), to the point where I felt it did become unnecessarily distracting.  And, I did not feel as good about owning the art as a result (I ended up selling all the Land pieces I owned). 

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It depends. The Thanos invasion storyline crossover for "Infinity" in Mighty Avengers might actually be featured in the new iInfinity Wars film. That's the book where Doctor Strange was induced to call Shuma-Gorath by Ebony Maw (who will be in the film, and will fight Strange).  

Here's my page, and I like it. :-)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1409203

no, it's not the same thing : ultimates = avengers 1 movie....age of ultron (still by hitch) = avengers 2 movie

and ultimates and authority were classics runs....and yes,  jackson was fury in ultimates in the comics years before the movie.....in ultimates 2 or 3, we even had a mention of someone name freddie prinze jr (if someone recalls him), who was dating betty banner and who hulk was after....those were fun moments

Something I MIGHT be noticing about Hitch, is that the lesser figures he doesn't photo reference have a very different, more cartoony feel, & so there is a lack of unity in the artwork. Sorry I don't have time to find examples today:(

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

From an artistic perspective, though, yes, I would argue that it does matter.  I really enjoyed CrossGen's fantasy series "Sojourn" back in the 2000s.  I think the artwork by Greg Land really worked too, for the most part...from a storytelling perspective.  But, the photoreferencing/swipes became more and more obvious over time ("hey, that was the pose from the SI Swimsuit issue!"), to the point where I felt it did become unnecessarily distracting.  And, I did not feel as good about owning the art as a result (I ended up selling all the Land pieces I owned). 

That sounds completely valid. I guess the biggest sin in storytelling is losing the audiences' interest. Anything that disrupts the reader's immersive experience is a problem. 

Edited by Skizz

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I would argue that, from a storytelling perspective, no, it does not matter if the art was photo-referenced, unless it is done to an extent where it becomes distracting to the reader (e.g., swiping well-known likenesses of people, or very distinctive poses, composition, etc. from other popular media).  

I think the really blatant Land photo referencing/swipes peaked in the mid to late 2000's. After 2010, I think he did less of it (although it crops up in some covers from time to time).

8 minutes ago, Skizz said:

That sounds completely valid. I guess the biggest sin in storytelling is losing the audiences' interest. Anything that disrupts the reader's immersive experience is a problem. 

Did Nick Fury looking like Samuel L. Jackson distract from the storytelling? 

I loved the original Ultimates storyline. For that reason, and that reason alone, I purchased the splash below some years back. Ultimate Hulk meets Ultimate Thor; one of my favorite pages. Did I over/underpay? Who the hell knows? But if an A example from that story comes up again, I'm confident that someone would fork over good money for it.  I'm less confident about everything else Hitch did, but the original Ultimates art has legs.

Ultimates #5 pg18.jpg

25 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Did Nick Fury looking like Samuel L. Jackson distract from the storytelling? 

I couldn't say for sure if only because it's been nearly a decade and half since I read the original Ultimates. That said, I know feel a little strange about having a prominent Ultimate Nick Fury page on my wall because then I'd also have to reconcile that with having a picture of Sam Jackson on my file.  Given the choice, I'd prefer a page without Ultimate Fury. Something like ...

12 minutes ago, DJRome said:

Ultimates #5 pg18.jpg

Warning: slippery floor. Drool everywhere !

Not sure what to take form this thread, maybe that Michelangelo created photographs. I do know that I would love to get my hands on a nice Hitch Ultimates page with the Hulk! If anyone has one for a low hundreds asking price, send me a DM!

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

From an artistic perspective, though, yes, I would argue that it does matter.  I really enjoyed CrossGen's fantasy series "Sojourn" back in the 2000s.  I think the artwork by Greg Land really worked too, for the most part...from a storytelling perspective.  But, the photoreferencing/swipes became more and more obvious over time ("hey, that was the pose from the SI Swimsuit issue!"), to the point where I felt it did become unnecessarily distracting.  ...

Exactly !

7 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

Michelangelo used photo referencing for his art?  :whatthe::whatthe: 

It would be fair to say Michelangelo used models.  And he probably wasn't the first artist to do so.  Search: Gregorio Landini. 

1 hour ago, visarspike said:

and a few FF covers (22' x 17' each)

IMG_20170801_084118.jpg

IMG_20170801_084151.jpg

Awesome covers :applause:- I'm a great fan of much of Hitch' work, but of course there're variations in quality as there are with other artists. Personally I greatly appreciate my FF 556 cover :cloud9: Those of us knowing the feeling of losing close relatives may relate to this piece in ways others can't - I think Hitch really nailed the expression of grief and despair in this piece3buPDHkm_2708141700421.jpg

I don't think Hitch is a threat or a menace, like Spidey he's doing an awful lot of amazing things :wink:

Edited by Rune