• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,555 posts in this topic

These are still somewhat comics related..... small figurines made out of lead.....there are hundreds. These pics were copied from another thread, as my pictures of them are held hostage by Photobucket, and will likely stay that way. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Anyone into eaglemoss here? I just started collecting these over the past few weeks. Ran into them at a local comic shop auction, had never seen them before that. They were mostly a europe-exclusive thing as the UK based company never shipped to the US.

AAGvkib.jpg

WuZOlPa.jpg

58 minutes ago, damonwad said:

Thanks Sqeggs. I used to have a low grade original set but sold them. I've since built it back up to about 130 of the 169 originals and about 40 of the new cover/interior issues in 7.0 and above. Missing most of the first 20 but not in a hurry to get them as the prices aren't shooting up any time soon.

The Jones book (2nd edition) was recommended to me by Scrooge and I like it a lot. Excellent info on the history of the company and the artists.

Was about to chime in on the Jones book but you beat me to it. I thought it was more than a thorough intro into everything Classics. For some one like me at the time trying also to get a set of low grade originals, it was more than enough to give me the grand tour of all things CI. From what I recall, the most interesting part of it was the focus on artists who worked on CIs and other non super-hero features; these guys had not been highlighted elsewhere in the hero-centric fan publications so Jones' work on collecting information and corresponding with some of them provided information not readily available elsewhere. I gravitate easily towards the obscure.

D-Wad, why the Dunning book there? Fan of OTR? :popcorn:

18 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Was about to chime in on the Jones book but you beat me to it. I thought it was more than a thorough intro into everything Classics. For some one like me at the time trying also to get a set of low grade originals, it was more than enough to give me the grand tour of all things CI. From what I recall, the most interesting part of it was the focus on artists who worked on CIs and other non super-hero features; these guys had not been highlighted elsewhere in the hero-centric fan publications so Jones' work on collecting information and corresponding with some of them provided information not readily available elsewhere. I gravitate easily towards the obscure.

D-Wad, why the Dunning book there? Fan of OTR? :popcorn:

Well said about the Jones book.

Yes, I'm an OTR fan and that Dunning book is awesome (makes a good book end too). For those that don't know, it's full of historical info and background from  a few paragraphs long  to 4 or 5 pages long on practically every old radio show made.

Lots of OTR on my "someday" list but my favorites so far are Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Yours Truly Johnny Dollar (Bob Bailey), Sherlock Holmes (Rathbone and Bruce), Great Gildersleeve, Amos and Andy, X Minus One and Dimension X. In no particular order except for Gunsmoke.

8 hours ago, damonwad said:

A lot of neat and diverse collections shown so far.

I collect Lone Ranger stuff, 19th century Yellowstone stereo views  and Classics Illustrated wire display racks and fanzines.

Here are my CI display racks.

59876cfe64677_CIRack-1.thumb.JPG.2ff4c0266035c2b8c4f3ebfa469cdb8a.JPG59876d4a4cd9e_CIRack-2.thumb.JPG.778a49b279c208da5f85b38b982cee8b.JPG

59876d796b75e_CIRack-3.thumb.JPG.cf8f57101314cdab75ed4e14e5211178.JPG59876dacb06e6_CIRack-4.thumb.JPG.0e017f7f8c0517f2b6535d3158100ef2.JPG

Great racks.  I'll post an article I have from a classics fanzine on CI racks later that might interest you.  I had a thread on racks, but it seemed everyone lost interest before I got to the classics racks.

30 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Great racks.  I'll post an article I have from a classics fanzine on CI racks later that might interest you.  I had a thread on racks, but it seemed everyone lost interest before I got to the classics racks.

Thanks and I missed the rack thread you started but just found it and gave it a bump. Very interesting thread and I hope you continue it.

12 hours ago, N e r V said:

I94c36fbc1c2a68389807cfb5be245bd8c7a40ce288636c89115f6be5985ccc36bbe45b64d84ef5a90be1661c6d90c9b45bd80fe48338f7c41912f85c

Anyone interested in the products sold in these old comic ads should check out this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160887026X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The author tracked down a lot of these goofy things and gives an amusing account of them.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Anyone interested in the products sold in these old comic ads should check out this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160887026X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The author tracked down a lot of these goofy things and gives an amusement account of them.

But as a kid thoughts of X-Ray specs, fake dog poop, and flying ghosts were the the things of wonder for a pre teen....

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:
2 hours ago, N e r V said:

But as a kid thoughts of X-Ray specs, fake dog poop, and flying ghosts were the the things of wonder for a pre teen....

Heck I still do 

Who wouldn't want X-Ray Specs? :)