• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

I've had both as pets.The top was an 'accident' that I was NOT happy about at all.Got my money back and the tarantula i'd requested,but was stuck with the nasty angry thing for about five or six years.I couldn't kill it.The 'cobalt' we had turned out to be a male,and the fellows don't live long past sexual maturity.Down to six tarantulas now.

When folks found out years ago that I wasn't afraid to keep them and took good care,it seemed like everyone that had one was at my door to drop them off..there was over twenty in the house at one point,nasty and gentle alike.

The worst of them after the funnel web was an orange starburst baboon.Gorgeous but aggressive.

You live in a Zoo Jimmers? Have a couple of kids after that you will be cured of responsibilities...

7 hours ago, PopKulture said:

You can find some pretty cool graphics on old matchbook covers. If you look on the left, you can see a cover from Mickey Mantle's Holiday Inn in Joplin, Missouri:

35295059.ebe24c8f.1024.jpg

Mantle was born in Oklahoma and played in New York.  I didn't realize he had a connection with Joplin, MO. 

I collect original art from cartoonists with a focus on Charles Schulz. Peanuts was and is my favorite "comic" of all-time. :cloud9:

All the Peanuts compilation books and original Schulz art. I had most of my dailies and Sundays before digital photography was common but here are some of the more recent ones.

Political_strip.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

schulz_strip.jpg

Photo_Nov_21,_4_25_12_PM.jpg

20120914_154247.jpg

47 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Mantle was born in Oklahoma and played in New York.  I didn't realize he had a connection with Joplin, MO. 

In 1950, The Mick played for the Joplin Miners and won the batting title before being promoted to the big leagues. As my friends told me, the more useless the information, the more I know about it.  Mickey still holds the world series record with 18 homers.

9 hours ago, PopKulture said:

You can find some pretty cool graphics on old matchbook covers. If you look on the left, you can see a cover from Mickey Mantle's Holiday Inn in Joplin, Missouri:

35295059.ebe24c8f.1024.jpg

Yes indeed, those are cool. Again, I don't really "collect" them. More like collect them. Here is a very large collection from several sales man sample books I bought a few years ago. Probably 2,000 of them. Nothing newer than 1940. There were two of each one. I kept about 100 and sold off the rest.  Here are some of the ones I kept.

matchbooksbeer.jpg

matchbookscars.jpg

matchbooksoil.jpg

matchbooksplanes.jpg

matchbookssoftdrinks.jpg

matchbookssports.jpg

matchbookstrains.jpg

matchbookstrucks.jpg

matchbooksweirdstuff.jpg

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

In 1950, The Mick played for the Joplin Miners and won the batting title before being promoted to the big leagues. As my friends told me, the more useless the information, the more I know about it.  Mickey still holds the world series record with 18 homers.

Amazing that that connection would be enough to attract people in Joplin to a motel was his name on it.  I guess it's an indication of the extent of his fame at a time when baseball really was the national pastime.

OT: But I looked up the leaders in career WS homers.  As you might expect, seven of the top nine are Yankees (Ruth is second with 15).  One is a Dodger (Duke Snider) and the other non-Yankee is Frank Robinson.  I think you could win serious money betting against people coming up with Robinson's name being in that group.  

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Amazing that that connection would be enough to attract people in Joplin to a motel was his name on it.  I guess it's an indication of the extent of his fame at a time when baseball really was the national pastime.

OT: But I looked up the leaders in career WS homers.  As you might expect, seven of the top nine are Yankees (Ruth is second with 15).  One is a Dodger (Duke Snider) and the other non-Yankee is Frank Robinson.  I think you could win serious money betting against people coming up with Robinson's name being in that group.  

There's also the Route 66 aspect as well. Joplin is pretty far west and very close to Oklahoma, and 66 was the lifeblood for both states.

I have a tiny collection of medals/ So-Called Dollars.  The Battle of Lexington is my favorite as is was sold at the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Lexington for $1.  200 were struck.  100 silver medals were struck as well as 4 gold.  President Grant and VP Wilson attended as well as some members of cabinet and roughly 100,000 visitors!  I've lived only a few miles from the battle green since I was 10 so it's interesting to imagine who originally bought it 142 years ago and where it's been since.  When I bought it years ago the seller was out of Texas.

SCD.thumb.jpg.c8da8da87723b539864271f4c850f20f.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, BitterOldMan said:

I also have a large collection of manufacturer's pinball literature.  I have a restored 1975 Gottlieb El Dorado in my living room.  Yeah, I know, purple label, not blue label.

How far back do you like to venture as far as brochures go? I am by no means a completist, and I've collected (mostly traded for) examples from every decade:

35377705.fb63f015.800.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_1031.jpg

Photo_Nov_21,_4_25_12_PM.jpg

20120914_154247.jpg

Boy, you sure don't mess around. A Seuss, Addams, and Schulz to lead off with. Who's on your wish list next?

I can't hang in those circles, but man o' man would I love a piece from each of the heavy hitters - an Outcault, McCay, Opper, Foster, Raymond, Hogarth, Caniff... Lucky are those among us who get to be custodians of stuff like that.  (thumbsu

27 minutes ago, GoldCap said:

I have a tiny collection of medals/ So-Called Dollars.  The Battle of Lexington is my favorite as is was sold at the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Lexington for $1.  200 were struck.  100 silver medals were struck as well as 4 gold.  President Grant and VP Wilson attended as well as some members of cabinet and roughly 100,000 visitors!  I've lived only a few miles from the battle green since I was 10 so it's interesting to imagine who originally bought it 142 years ago and where it's been since.  When I bought it years ago the seller was out of Texas.

SCD.thumb.jpg.c8da8da87723b539864271f4c850f20f.jpg

These totally ooze history. Wonderful artifacts. The Lincoln visage is really compelling, and what looms larger than Lexington in the early annuls? Great share!

16 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Boy, you sure don't mess around. A Seuss, Addams, and Schulz to lead off with. Who's on your wish list next?

I can't hang in those circles, but man o' man would I love a piece from each of the heavy hitters - an Outcault, McCay, Opper, Foster, Raymond, Hogarth, Caniff... Lucky are those among us who get to be custodians of stuff like that.  (thumbsu

I REALLY tried hard for a Herriman and Segar on eBay last week but the Herriman went for huge bucks (as always) and the Segar I should have gone higher on.  

Did you see that amazing sketch collection? Had almost everyone you mentioned above and more.  

Raymond is in a league of his own but Flash Gordon originals are tough.  I would like all of the above and especially the elusive Watterson, but I have to drop 4.5-5.0 Amazing Fantasy 15 money to see that happen.  

At some point it would be great to have something original from Gottfredson and Barks too. Even just a Mickey and Uncle Scrooge sketch.  :wishluck:

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I REALLY tried hard for a Herriman and Segar on eBay last week but the Herriman went for huge bucks (as always) and the Segar I should have gone higher on.  

Did you see that amazing sketch collection? Had almost everyone you mentioned above and more.  

Bummer... but it seems you're on the lookout, so good luck!

Were those sketches listed recently? On the 'Bay? If so, I'd like to find them.

15 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

These totally ooze history. Wonderful artifacts. The Lincoln visage is really compelling, and what looms larger than Lexington in the early annuls? Great share!

Thanks!  Here's a view of the back.

SCDrear.thumb.jpg.df48d6c58d48004838b324e4914d1bd8.jpg