• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, Scrooge said:

I believe that the restrictions placed post-war stem from the war of propaganda in the period right before war started out. Not only did the German establish an official french language station aimed at disseminating their message across the border but they also covertly sponsored two seemingly independent stations, one communist and one pacifist in name only, that were in actuality propaganda arms. Add to that legitimate French stations with pro-german proclivities and there was an extensive eco-system that the nascent new French administration would rather have not to deal with again, hence the radical decision to keep radio programming under lock and key.

More interesting info and I can definitely understand the hesitance of the government to free up the radio waves so soon after the war.

I guess my main surprise is that it lasted so long. There's obviously a much different mindset when a war like that is fought in your own backyard. 

25 minutes ago, damonwad said:

More interesting info and I can definitely understand the hesitance of the government to free up the radio waves so soon after the war.

To gauge the extent of propaganda in the period, check out these facing pavilions of Germany and the USSR, flanking the Eiffel tower during the Universal Expo in Paris in 1937 -

Here's a link to a British video with some shots (more are on YouTube but a lot are in French with more scenes) - 

Expo Universelle Paris 1937 - Germany USSR.jpg

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

To gauge the extent of propaganda in the period, check out these facing pavilions of Germany and the USSR, flanking the Eiffel tower during the Universal Expo in Paris in 1937 -

Here's a link to a British video with some shots (more are on YouTube but a lot are in French with more scenes) - 

This is new to me. Very odd seeing the swastika openly displayed right at the Eiffel Tower 3 years before the invasion.

7 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Fascinating stuff  Michaël. Ironies abound, mixed with pathos.

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

I also collect roadside postcards, or those showing motels, diners, restaurants, mom and pop joints, main streets, attractions, etc. There's a lot of bygone Americana on display on these keepsakes.

35379551.8481a37d.800.jpg

Neat postcards. I love seeing these old roadside diners when I travel the country and there's no way I'd pass up a chance to eat at Marty's with a sign like that.

4 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I also collect roadside postcards, or those showing motels, diners, restaurants, mom and pop joints, main streets, attractions, etc. There's a lot of bygone Americana on display on these keepsakes.

35379551.8481a37d.800.jpg

35294337.531d14db.800.jpg

35380155.3a2658df.800.jpg

35294419.9f502ca1.800.jpg

35379859.6ba9f76a.800.jpg

Great stuff Pop! I have a weakness for stuff like that too. Fun and very cheap when you find it. 

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, Robot Man said:

Great stuff Pop! I have a weakness for stuff like that too. Fun and very cheap when you find it. 

Thanks, Robot Man. Some of the linen postcards reached relatively high prices for a while, especially the diners, but they seem to have cooled. Better quality real photos of neat joints are still all over the place pricewise. Of course I never bought on the high - like you, I prefer to find them in the wild, like in a shoebox at a flea market, or at least from a dealer who likes to turn over their inventory now and then instead of impersonating a traveling museum.

I have a collection of about 1000 bagged McDonald's toys that I used to collect with my father. I had totally forgot about it until I was speaking with someone the other day about how, in my part of Canada anyway, one could buy [izza at McDonald's and that I had a McDonald's personal pizza box in the collection! 

56 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

I have a collection of about 1000 bagged McDonald's toys that I used to collect with my father. I had totally forgot about it until I was speaking with someone the other day about how, in my part of Canada anyway, one could buy [izza at McDonald's and that I had a McDonald's personal pizza box in the collection! 

IMG_3346.thumb.JPG.0c354a96fd32674b6f1af4c70a450998.JPGI found this original Big Mac box that I  kept from my first McDonald's visit.

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

Pictures please.I remember eating McPizza on Rideau st. as a teen!