• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2021 at 2:28 PM, adamstrange said:

Nehi orange and grape soda!  I haven't thought about those in years.

Now I know what the fudge Radar O’Reilly was referring to.   Never seen one.

54 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Now I know what the fudge Radar O’Reilly was referring to.   Never seen one.

I’m more of a Fanta person with orange soda but I’ve seen Nehi at some grocery stores. Walmart for sure. No doubt Amazon carries it too.

1E95B84A-C5E4-4532-AFCF-BA5954DA2860.thumb.jpeg.86d416a650c315c52f32577d2e283772.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

4 hours ago, cheetah said:

I collect seeds.  Granted, not to keep but to grow trees for reforestation.  This is the culmination of a week of collecting and processing seeds from the Talamanca Mountains in Costa Rica.

5AC5C2EC-39C9-4F91-8AD9-174EE97CD51C.jpeg

I read that an area of reforestation the size of France has taken place over the past decade [far outstripped by deforestation of course, but still a hopeful sign.] How are efforts progressing where you are, Jeff?

1 minute ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Remarkable. Are you seeing a return of absent wildlife in the canopy and undergrowth?

The bird life has been the biggest change so far.  The number of species in the recovering pasture has nearly doubled and I recently found a species that had not been recorded within 80 km of the area before.  There is an ocelot that lives on my property that comes to visit whenever we do planting.  We often find his tracks next to fresh holes when he investigates things at night.

22 minutes ago, cheetah said:

The bird life has been the biggest change so far.  The number of species in the recovering pasture has nearly doubled and I recently found a species that had not been recorded within 80 km of the area before.  There is an ocelot that lives on my property that comes to visit whenever we do planting.  We often find his tracks next to fresh holes when he investigates things at night.

Do you see monkeys where you are?

I have two troops of white-faced capuchin monkeys that live in the surrounding forest.  They’ve been as close a 25 meters to my house.  Lots of howler monkeys in the surrounding forest but they don’t get as close to the house as the capuchins.  Squirrel and spider monkeys occur at a lower elevation do I see them on the road to my house but never close to my property.  I grow a couple of species specifically as good sources for the capuchins.

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

There are a lot of endangered species on the Osa Peninsula which I can see from my house but I only grow one species, cocobolo, in my nursery.  Almost all of the really rare things need mature forest to thrive so planting them in fallow pasture is never successful.  Give me a few years and I will start with the rarer things.

I look forward to further updates!