• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, PDGray said:

Absolutely LOVE the screen name!!!

Welcome to the world of comic books!!  Thats an amazing collection of cards!  I have about 30,000 sports cards but nothing like those!!

PDG

You seem to collect quite a few different things. Are you retired? I'm just curious how you're able to find the time to pursue so many different hobbies. I can barely find the time for my comic books.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You seem to collect quite a few different things. Are you retired? I'm just curious how you're able to find the time to pursue so many different hobbies. I can barely find the time for my comic books.

I have been a collector of everything for years!!  Going back to my early youth.  I just never knew how to get rid of anything.  Even after all the comics I own, I have only ever sold maybe 6-8 books.  I regret selling those when I think about it.

But, yes, I am retired.  I don't have time to pursue everything the way I want to.  Most of my comics are purchased then go into a box, waiting to be filed away or into my display case - depending on which way I want to go with it.  I retired in 2018.  Since then I have been back in school pursuing yet another degree - it started out just because I could - then has turned into kind of needing to get a job because of inflation.  So, I have a part-time job I do now, but am likely to go back to full-time work just to stay afloat.  My bills have skyrocketed, especially over the last 5-6 months.  I want to pay the house off, cars off, and eliminate those bills if at all possible.  

PDG

On 4/27/2022 at 7:21 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

Vintage lamps:

FCC2D105-E8D5-4A3B-ACCB-ECBE684EFE6D.jpeg

3A17E5E5-2B79-4BAB-B520-4DD8FB0781C9.jpeg

4959FEF3-0E41-4613-9912-569AB6E50BB0.jpeg

E84D5198-75E3-4DB9-978E-236B7D1B9302.jpeg

380BEBB1-A463-44EF-8982-9740BE45440F.jpeg

Those are beautiful! Most people here have no idea what they are looking at.

My wife is a rather high end antique dealer. She has handled some VERY expensive Tiffany, Handel & other quality lamps over the years.

I am inherently a collector and keeper but she is strictly a dealer and everything is for sale for the right price.

We have had a lot of nice Stickley Craftsman furniture and beautiful art pottery around the house as well, 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:30 PM, jpepx78 said:

I collect comic book trivia. It is monetarily worthless but I might get an occasional like from comic geeks.

I have evidence that Marilyn Monroe read comics. Check out the crime comics on the bottom shelf in her house.

I wonder what the demand would be for comics from Marilyn’s collection?

Here are my 2 Ferraris. 😊

261C929A-914F-41C2-9103-3FCD0E7310FF.jpeg

4F899473-3EAB-4880-92CD-06AE83576446.jpeg

Man, the perfect woman…:x

On 4/28/2022 at 5:25 AM, PDGray said:

I have been a collector of everything for years!!  Going back to my early youth.  I just never knew how to get rid of anything.  Even after all the comics I own, I have only ever sold maybe 6-8 books.  I regret selling those when I think about it.

But, yes, I am retired.  I don't have time to pursue everything the way I want to.  Most of my comics are purchased then go into a box, waiting to be filed away or into my display case - depending on which way I want to go with it.  I retired in 2018.  Since then I have been back in school pursuing yet another degree - it started out just because I could - then has turned into kind of needing to get a job because of inflation.  So, I have a part-time job I do now, but am likely to go back to full-time work just to stay afloat.  My bills have skyrocketed, especially over the last 5-6 months.  I want to pay the house off, cars off, and eliminate those bills if at all possible.  

PDG

I am also retired for a few years. And as most of you have guessed, I don’t just collect comic books.

I have collected all my life and traveled all over the country looking for cool stuff even during my working years.

I planned out my retirement well though and made sure I had no debt other than my house when I pulled the plug. I also saved for it with a 401K and an IRA. I don’t have to work but still do some freelance design work because I still love it. 

Funny thing is now my focus has changed from buying to selling off a lot of stuff. The extra income is nice and decluttering is a weird kind of relief. 

On 4/27/2022 at 1:21 PM, Courageous Cat said:

added another earlier in the year and got a nice little write up on it https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/print-edition/2022/march/2534/feature/two-quality-collections-stand-to-attention-at-thomas-del-mar-auction/

at present this is the only known example. Yes, even in this market i am still adding to my GA collection as well

IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2137.jpeg

Wow! That is something. Can you imagine going into battle wearing that?

I remember going into a tent at the Brimfield, MA antique show a few years ago and seeing nothing but militaria. Uniforms and artifacts all the way back to the Revolutionary War. I don’t collect it but was astounded to see stuff like that.

Probably only on the East Coast can stuff like that still turn up. 

On 4/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, Robot Man said:

Probably only on the East Coast can stuff like that still turn up. 

:gossip: UK.  There's a link to the article about the original collector.

Did not intent to collect fountain pens, but I guess I do. I just like writing with them and have accumulated several. Here are three. Top is a 1990s Montegrappa Symphony, middle is a 1980s Parker Premier and the bottom is a Sailor pocket pen from 1972. The Sailor was thrown into a deal for some other pens. It is a surprisingly good writer and I am glad I got it. Strange to think pens were important enough that companies were competing for consumer dollars at a pretty high level. The pocket pens were to meet a need for writing on the go - small, light writers. They were also part of the gold wars between the big three Japanese manufacturers. Nibs went from 14k to 18k to 21k and eventually 23k gold. This pocket pen is a 21k fine nib.

IMG_6151.thumb.jpg.653a500a73dc344252c26a2770f9695e.jpg

On 4/29/2022 at 5:29 AM, Shrevvy said:

Did not intent to collect fountain pens, but I guess I do. I just like writing with them and have accumulated several. Here are three. Top is a 1990s Montegrappa Symphony, middle is a 1980s Parker Premier and the bottom is a Sailor pocket pen from 1972. The Sailor was thrown into a deal for some other pens. It is a surprisingly good writer and I am glad I got it. Strange to think pens were important enough that companies were competing for consumer dollars at a pretty high level. The pocket pens were to meet a need for writing on the go - small, light writers. They were also part of the gold wars between the big three Japanese manufacturers. Nibs went from 14k to 18k to 21k and eventually 23k gold. This pocket pen is a 21k fine nib.

IMG_6151.thumb.jpg.653a500a73dc344252c26a2770f9695e.jpg

The Montegrappa celluloid FP’s are some of my favorite pens.

Never had a Sailor, but hear great things concerning the nibs.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:58 AM, Robot Man said:

Those are beautiful! Most people here have no idea what they are looking at.

My wife is a rather high end antique dealer. She has handled some VERY expensive Tiffany, Handel & other quality lamps over the years.

I am inherently a collector and keeper but she is strictly a dealer and everything is for sale for the right price.

We have had a lot of nice Stickley Craftsman furniture and beautiful art pottery around the house as well, 

I have a nice Lilly Lamp that still needs unpacking🥰

On 4/29/2022 at 10:41 AM, Ltpink2002 said:

The Montegrappa celluloid FP’s are some of my favorite pens.

Never had a Sailor, but hear great things concerning the nibs.

I have three Sailor pens. Two are new and the third is the 1972 one above. I have not been pleased with the two new Sailors. I may eventually move those along. The Sailor pocket pen was more of an afterthought when I was buying a couple other Japanese pens (Pilots). I was very surprised and prefer it over the two modern Sailors. All three are 21k nibs. 

I do like celluloid. I have a couple other Montegrappa celluloid pens including two flex nibs (one will be sold). 

I keep several inked. At my office, I am using a Montegrappa Fortuna (black ink) and a Pilot Deluxe (blue). At home, I have the Parker Premier (bronze/orange) and two Parker 88s (blue and red).

I got three pens yesterday in the mail from Japan (all Pilots) and have two more coming next week (Parker 75 and a leather wrapped Platinum). No, I don't have a problem...It's such a cheap hobby.

So I love pens too.  I have a bunch of simple pens (nothing you couldn't find in your local big box store) and hundreds of markers in lots of different colors and so on.  In my little bit of spare time I really like printing off comic pages/images and coloring them to look like the original using my markers.  My other problem is I simply don't have time to do it.

I have looked at some of the lower end Montblancs just because it's a name I recognize.  But what are some sources that I could use to learn a bit more and figure out a starting point?

PDG

On 4/29/2022 at 10:29 AM, Shrevvy said:

I have three Sailor pens. Two are new and the third is the 1972 one above. I have not been pleased with the two new Sailors. I may eventually move those along. The Sailor pocket pen was more of an afterthought when I was buying a couple other Japanese pens (Pilots). I was very surprised and prefer it over the two modern Sailors. All three are 21k nibs. 

I do like celluloid. I have a couple other Montegrappa celluloid pens including two flex nibs (one will be sold). 

I keep several inked. At my office, I am using a Montegrappa Fortuna (black ink) and a Pilot Deluxe (blue). At home, I have the Parker Premier (bronze/orange) and two Parker 88s (blue and red).

I got three pens yesterday in the mail from Japan (all Pilots) and have two more coming next week (Parker 75 and a leather wrapped Platinum). No, I don't have a problem...It's such a cheap hobby.

Great hobby.  I typically carry  2-3 pens with me at all time.  Currently have inked a Pelican 800 broad oblique, a Visconti rollerball and a Montblanc Faulkner BP.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:51 AM, kinzebac said:

I collect vintage sports (and non sports cards), diecast  size 1/18 model cars, and early 1920s and 1930s newspaper comic strips (Popeye, Felix the Cat, etc.).

Cool! I have “dabbled” in all of that stuff from over the years. Pretty sure I have some of all of that stuff tucked away somewhere…