• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

baseballgame1890.jpg

All great stuff, from the Big Train to the Bambino, but I've long held a soft spot for anything by McLoughlin Bros. Books, puzzles, and of course, board games. They made the purdiest for sure. :cloud9:

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Pretty much anything else is usually fair game if cool, unusual or colorful

baseballdarktownbatterybank.jpg

Wow, a Darktown Battery. Is this a Stevens, or another manufacturer? What a truly historic relic.* 

The Little League counter game is great, too. All those counter games have been in demand since I started collecting. I have a Keeney Steeplechase I play every time I walk by it; that is, unless I don't have a nickel on me! 

* This is one of those tricky things to own these days and going forward. You never know when you'll earn yourself a lecture or worse. Thing is, the people who would object to such a thing, to my knowledge, can't read your mind and should consider there are perspectives for owning/curating/preserving they may not have considered. I am mindful when displaying things in my home even because I don't want my kids' friends for instance to take something out of context or infer my intent without so much as a conversation about it.**

** I just wanted to footnote my footnote!  :nyah:  

11 hours ago, PopKulture said:

An absolutely stunning tintype. Do you know anything about the people pictured? Either from a family album or anything? It's a fantastic piece of sports history.  

I have no idea who these gentlemen are. Came with no identification. My antique dealer wife bought it as a gift from an estate sale. My guess is it is probably from the mid 1880’s. Earliest photo I’ve ever owned. This was an era of gentlemen players who often wore ties on the field. 

10 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Wow, a Darktown Battery. Is this a Stevens, or another manufacturer? What a truly historic relic.* 

The Little League counter game is great, too. All those counter games have been in demand since I started collecting. I have a Keeney Steeplechase I play every time I walk by it; that is, unless I don't have a nickel on me! 

* This is one of those tricky things to own these days and going forward. You never know when you'll earn yourself a lecture or worse. Thing is, the people who would object to such a thing, to my knowledge, can't read your mind and should consider there are perspectives for owning/curating/preserving they may not have considered. I am mindful when displaying things in my home even because I don't want my kids' friends for instance to take something out of context or infer my intent without so much as a conversation about it.**

11 hours ago, PopKulture said:

It is a Stevens I believe. Probably from the 1890's and original. I look at it as a historical piece and have no problem owning it or displaying it. It fits in well with my other baseball pieces as the history of the game. I taught my children well and have never had anyone see it in my home that had a problem with it. If I am offending anyone, I apologize as it isn't my intent.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:09 PM, fifties said:

I had forgotten about my own record collection, although it's primarily 45's and LP's.  If you clean the record, you will lower the background noise, and of course it will sound better. A good cleaner is white Vinegar, applied with a toothbrush.

above records already cleaned multiple times with an extra-soft toothbrush, water, and a bit of liquid dish soap - definitely cleaned a lot of sh*t out of the grooves, and music sounds amazing whilst playing, but that cloudy  "smudging" look   to the shellac, under light,  is always there unfortunately

52 minutes ago, D84 said:

I collect the souls of my enemies. 

:roflmao: I just got one of those the other day for $0.33 

I must have bid at the same time on Ebay as the other bidder and when the dust settled  they were out bid by me for 33 cents. Pretty sure that win came with the under bidders soul as obviously we both put in almost the same max bid , but mine was change more.

On 12/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Some cool records on here; while I don't collect them I ran into a stack of Disneyland records at a nursing home sale a few years back and bought the whole stack for $10. In the stack was this classic which should bring back some great memories. For those who grew up watching the Sunday evening Disney show Patrick McGoohan as the Scarecrow was a very frightening figure!

361428581_tn_Scarecrow1.JPG.35e0d9923ca2bc0a95d6b681648c4f1f.JPG

Love the record, love the sleeve...love the price...

Edited by pemart1966

On 12/6/2020 at 5:15 PM, Robot Man said:

Great stuff. 78's like these are tough to find. I have my mom's collection of blues, hillbilly and early rock 'n roll 78's buried in my garage. A few real good ones. My mom was a real hipster in her day. If you collect them, you really need to pick up a copy of "Not for sale at any price". Must have book. Google it. You really need one of these to display your 78's in...

bluebirdrecordsdisplay1.jpg

I don't actively collect, but I do have my mother's 45 collection.  She purchased most when first out of high school.. 1955.  Some pretty good music for sure.