• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

yes, sir, many of the best film titles vary from the source.  "Q & A" is slumdog millionaire.  in "rope burns" is the short-story million dollar baby.  oddly, they changed "bridge over the river kwai" to bridge ON the river kwai.  and many more.

Here are two books by Arkady & Boris Strugatsky that were turned into Russian films. Roadside Picnic became 'Stalker', and the Ugly Swans retained the same title. 'Stalker' is fairly well known, but I think 'Ugly Swans' is far the better movie, and (unlike 'Stalker') does full justice to the book.

20170802_213031.jpg

20170802_213211.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

28 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

No...it's a Milk Snake...a type of kingsnake...

As the rhyme goes "Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow. "

I do have these.  First up is the Sydney Funnelweb spider from Australia known as the deadliest spider in the world

PA030417.thumb.jpg.8e969332f06a305710a69eeb8319c1e8.jpg

Second is the Poecilotheria Metallicallca from South India.  The tree spider is actually a beautiful metallic blue in color.

IMG_1920.thumb.JPG.98651b9c542b9b9a174aca01e2e75b3c.JPG.

1 hour ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

This stack of NatGeo dates back to around 2010. 

2e2gmsk.jpg

:cloud9:As a kid the National Geographic's at my grandad's house were my introduction to astronomy and natural history  and the reason I remain keenly interested in them to this day.

Old copies of NG also provide us today with retro visions, revealing just how much knowledge has advanced in the intervening decades.

https://chasmosaurs.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/vintage-dinosaur-art-new-look-at.html

Edited by Flex Mentallo

5 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

Second is the Poecilotheria Metallicallca from South India.  The tree spider is actually a beautiful metallic blue in color.

IMG_1920.thumb.JPG.98651b9c542b9b9a174aca01e2e75b3c.JPG

I met something similar once in a village near Kolkata. I woke up after a siesta to find us face to face. Boy can they move fast! Boy can I scream like a girl!

7 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

:cloud9:As a kid the National Geographic's at my grandad's house were my introduction to astronomy and natural history  and the reason I remain keenly interested in them to this day.

Old copies of NG also provide us today with retro visions, revealing just how much knowledge has advanced in the intervening decades.

https://chasmosaurs.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/vintage-dinosaur-art-new-look-at.html

I have read that Carl Barks never traveled during his comic book years due to lack of money, but used National Geographic photos as references for many Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge faraway land stories.

39 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

As the rhyme goes "Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow. "

I do have these.  First up is the Sydney Funnelweb spider from Australia known as the deadliest spider in the world

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bPA030417.thumb.jpg.8e969332f06a305710a69eeb8319c1e8.jpg

I've had both as pets.The top was an 'accident' that I was NOT happy about at all.Got my money back and the tarantula i'd requested,but was stuck with the nasty angry thing for about five or six years.I couldn't kill it.The 'cobalt' we had turned out to be a male,and the fellows don't live long past sexual maturity.Down to six tarantulas now.

When folks found out years ago that I wasn't afraid to keep them and took good care,it seemed like everyone that had one was at my door to drop them off..there was over twenty in the house at one point,nasty and gentle alike.

The worst of them after the funnel web was an orange starburst baboon.Gorgeous but aggressive.

14 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I like to mix my comics with my Sci Fi collection.  Pulps and Science Fiction books and a little ERB and puzzles and board games are all very collectible.

5563870131_4849ae118a_b.jpg

I could wish FH had used more of the Planet Stories covers as inspiration for the comics.

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bPA030417.thumb.jpg.8e969332f06a305710a69eeb8319c1e8.jpg

Ray, you and Brian are really freaking me out now. Snakes, Spiders and Rats in no particular order are what nightmares are made of to me.

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

As a kid, I liked them for the topless native girls...:banana:

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I met something similar once in a village near Kolkata. I woke up after a siesta to find us face to face. Boy can they move fast! Boy can I scream like a girl!

Walking through a jungle in New Zealand, I had a black and yellow one about twice that big hit me in the face when I walked into it's web. Probably wet my pants...