• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicconnect November 2017 auction

244 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

It why I picked up the Carl shoots Shane page, after never owning a single WD page or cover or sketch.  The moment I read that page in the comic, I gasped. Other than in the first Game of Thrones book when Bran gets defenestrated, I hadn't ever had that reaction in reading fiction.  Amazing moment, proud to own it.

One of my top two favorites of all the WD pages in that auction. Really great. 

54 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

It why I picked up the Carl shoots Shane page, after never owning a single WD page or cover or sketch.  The moment I read that page in the comic, I gasped. Other than in the first Game of Thrones book when Bran gets defenestrated, I hadn't ever had that reaction in reading fiction.  Amazing moment, proud to own it.

Congrats on that pick up! Such a great page. The bidding was super low for a while and I was getting tempted. 

Thank you guys that bid on my art. There was some really great stuff for all entry levels. I'm very happy to see that some people here won pages . At the end of the day I made out on some pages and  lost on others. But that was to be expected since it was a lot of work to pry it out of some collections.

I was very surprised at the prices on the highgradecomics.. the 9.8 s went relatively cheap in my opinion but the 10.s and 9.9 s got crazy.

We're having another auction in about 2 months, a bunch more stuff . It's going to be fun.

Edited by James J

I tend to think that the art depicting key moments from the series (many of which also made it to the TV show) will retain interest after the show goes off the air.  This is the biggest break-out hit that an indie comic series has ever had.  Sure, TMNT had some big movies and merchandising, but few cared about the comics after the first few years, and a lot of its success occurred in the pre-social media, pre-globalization era.  WD at this point is 14+ continuous years into the comic, while the TV show has been must-see water cooler fodder for years now (and spawning a fairly successful spin-off as well).  The merchandising, the memes, the blogs, the Tweets, the cosplay, the WD Escape, the contribution to the lexicon, the interviews and photoshoots of the cast and everything else that comes with being one of the biggest pop culture successes of a global, social media-mad era...all of which is to say that, yes, most pop culture is of its time and has a fleeting time in the spotlight, but, IMO, WD has achieved the kind of critical mass of success and, let's face it, importance when it comes to the history of comics (both indie and otherwise) and pop culture, that I think will keep its popularity/desirability largely intact long after the TV show ends. 

I mean, FFS, people still want Cerebus art for being significant, even though it never enjoyed one iota of mainstream success...by the time it's all done, WD will have probably spanned at least two decades of comic success and been one of the most successful pop culture properties of all-time from its TV run.  Maybe there's a knee-jerk dip following cancellation, but, I think the good stuff remains valuable/relevant for a long time to come.  A-list is A-list.   

5 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I tend to think that the art depicting key moments from the series (many of which also made it to the TV show) will retain interest after the show goes off the air.  This is the biggest break-out hit that an indie comic series has ever had.  Sure, TMNT had some big movies and merchandising, but few cared about the comics after the first few years, and a lot of its success occurred in the pre-social media, pre-globalization era.  WD at this point is 14+ continuous years into the comic, while the TV show has been must-see water cooler fodder for years now (and spawning a fairly successful spin-off as well).  The merchandising, the memes, the blogs, the Tweets, the cosplay, the WD Escape, the contribution to the lexicon, the interviews and photoshoots of the cast and everything else that comes with being one of the biggest pop culture successes of a global, social media-mad era...all of which is to say that, yes, most pop culture is of its time and has a fleeting time in the spotlight, but, IMO, WD has achieved the kind of critical mass of success and, let's face it, importance when it comes to the history of comics (both indie and otherwise) and pop culture, that I think will keep its popularity/desirability largely intact long after the TV show ends. 

I mean, FFS, people still want Cerebus art for being significant, even though it never enjoyed one iota of mainstream success...by the time it's all done, WD will have probably spanned at least two decades of comic success and been one of the most successful pop culture properties of all-time from its TV run.  Maybe there's a knee-jerk dip following cancellation, but, I think the good stuff remains valuable/relevant for a long time to come.  A-list is A-list.   

It's "A-list is gonna A-list".

Don't make me turn this car around. I'll do it. 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's "A-list is gonna A-list".

Don't make me turn this car around. I'll do it. 

Sorry, was going for more of a Randian "A is A" vibe than putting a spin on "haters gonna hate".  :sorry: 

16 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I think he might be referring to the WDPSC* era.....nothing will escape the vacuum that will be created once there is no more multi-media created inertia. It's not a shot at the artwork at all, because it's the best stuff of the run, it's a reality of pop culture created collectibles. In the absence of fresh stimuli attention and dollars will flow elsewhere. 

*Walking Dead Post-Show Cancellation 

I think you meant “no multi-media created momentum.” ?

I hear what Gene is “saying,” but even Star Wars collectibles, etc. went through a slump for 10 years. 

Once original WD material is not on TV, there will be an inevitable slump. As it is, I think the show is starting to lose a little “momentum” already. 

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I hear what Gene is “saying,” but even Star Wars collectibles, etc. went through a slump for 10 years. 

Once original WD material is not on TV, there will be an inevitable slump. As it is, I think the show is starting to lose a little “momentum” already.

I've been waiting for the whole WD thing to collapse on itself. Since like 2010. Lord knows there is no shortage of art over at primary source that hasn't and isn't selling at marked prices...and yet, people are still apesheet about it all, overall, right? So I am and have been and seemingly will be wrong for a very long time. That just means I'm an old dude that doesn't "get it", but my money is staying in my pocket on this stuff. At least until interesting art at source is under $100 per each. I mean, even later Adlard with inks on another piece of paper isn't bad and if there were some dead folks chompin' on some livin' folks...for $100 or less...I can open up my wallet for that ;) 

Still back on Season 5 Ep1, so I do need to do some catch-up on NF. But at this point I think it's start over from the beginning time. The comics I dropped way, way back around #60 or so? Anybody want to make the case that it's worth catching up on those?

38 minutes ago, vodou said:

I've been waiting for the whole WD thing to collapse on itself. Since like 2010. Lord knows there is no shortage of art over at primary source that hasn't and isn't selling at marked prices...and yet, people are still apesheet about it all, overall, right? So I am and have been and seemingly will be wrong for a very long time. That just means I'm an old dude that doesn't "get it", but my money is staying in my pocket on this stuff. At least until interesting art at source is under $100 per each. I mean, even later Adlard with inks on another piece of paper isn't bad and if there were some dead folks chompin' on some livin' folks...for $100 or less...I can open up my wallet for that ;) 

Still back on Season 5 Ep1, so I do need to do some catch-up on NF. But at this point I think it's start over from the beginning time. The comics I dropped way, way back around #60 or so? Anybody want to make the case that it's worth catching up on those?

$100 a page? You are going to be waiting a long time my friend. But... I'm with you, I don't care for the show at all, I didn't care much for the comic, I was over zombies 15 years ago and find the entire genre boring, even with the real story being the soap opera of the living.

48 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

$100 a page? You are going to be waiting a long time my friend.

Long time can equal "never" for all I really care. The only appeal WD holds for me is "oh, that's a cool munchin' panel". No more and maybe even less, if something "cooler" is also in front of me for the same money. That's how  I ended up with a fair amount of Deadworld originals. Not because Deadworld is the poor man's WD substitute, pre-dates WD by twenty years, or that I ever read DW or cared a whit about it...no, Vince Locke's art was "cool" visually and artistically - he's a painter and uses atypical media on some pieces too (ala Dave McKean) and  (importantly, on a relative value basis) cheap. Were I to sell though, because I did eyeball against cheap, they're all doubles or triples, and a very interesting and easy story to tell to justify that markup.  All day, every day. Try that with nothing special WD for $350-500 when there are hundreds (and really much, much more) of examples "out there" for same/similar money and content. Most just a two mouse-clicks away. Uh uh. All good ;)

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I think you meant “no multi-media created momentum.” ?

(thumbsu  I did.....or Did I?

22 hours ago, comix4fun said:

This was more of my personal preference. The Glenn and Shane pages are just better pages of art. They are from the elusive Tony Moore issues, they are key plot elements from the origin/evolution of those characters, and they are very well executed pieces. 

If I was worried about "valuable" over time I wouldn't be putting much into any of these pages right now. 

Agreed on all counts.  I don't see the Rick in bed page being any more memorable than when Glenn gets introduced and saves Rick from a zombie horde, or when Cor-al shoots Shane.  Rick is on the cover of #1.  Page 1 is pre-zombie apocalypse where Rick is a policeman and gets shot.  Page 2, he wakes up in a hospital bed.  It's not until he wanders around and discovers the zombies a few pages later that we get that first real memorable shock of the series.  I'd take the two key scene pages plus cash over the splash any day.  Not that the splash isn't cool too, but, for me, the other two pages are more pivotal points in the storyline. 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Agreed on all counts.  I don't see the Rick in bed page being any more memorable than when Glenn gets introduced and saves Rick from a zombie horde, or when Cor-al shoots Shane.  Rick is on the cover of #1.  Page 1 is pre-zombie apocalypse where Rick is a policeman and gets shot.  Page 2, he wakes up in a hospital bed.  It's not until he wanders around and discovers the zombies a few pages later that we get that first real memorable shock of the series.  I'd take the two key scene pages plus cash over the splash any day.  Not that the splash isn't cool too, but, for me, the other two pages are more pivotal points in the storyline. 

If I was trying to get one page from the whole series, just one, the very first Rick vs. (walking) Dead would be it. Actually #1 pages 6-8 would the sequences I'd want, with page 7 being the real one and only for me. Are the whereabouts of these pages or page 7 known? I'm not in play for them, but putting into words here does have me thinking a bit now.

38 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

My first thought on seeing that "Rick in bed" page was the same type of scene from 28 Days Later, a movie I enjoyed and put its own stamp on the zombie genre (though nothing like TWD). Art quality aside, I think this page sums up an aspect of the zombie phenomenon that others do not - the escapism, ends of days, what would you do if the SHTF.