• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicconnect November 2017 auction

244 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

So, here's a partial list of what sold:

#1 splash (Rick in bed):  $27,000
#26 cover (zombies reflected in helmet):  $18,300
#106 wraparound heroes vs. zombies cover:  $16,252
#2 first app. Glenn page:  $10,600
#108 cover (1st Ezekiel/Shiva):  $8,420
#6 Carl shoots Shane page:  $8,000
#101 variant cover (Michonne blaxploitation cover by Rugg):  $4,600
#2 second app. Glenn page:  $4,350
#108 half splash second Ezekiel/Shiva:  $2,655
#91 first Jesus app. splash:  $2,550
#115 All Out War good guys DPS:  $2,472
#98 Abraham dies page:  $2,100
#33 Michonne starts to scoop out Governor's eye page:  $2,100
#26 Rick/Michonne/Glenn splash:  $2,052
#33 Michonne scoops out eyeball page:  $1,850

I'm not super-fanatical about tracking WD OA prices, but, these strike me as being pretty healthy considering the absence of James J (the seller) from the bidding process.  I think a lot of people, for example, expected the #1 splash to sell for a lot less this time around (it obviously did not).  

Among the more run-of-the-mill pages, there were deals to be had, IMO - prices were certainly lower on a number of them than one would have expected on eBay or at a dealer prior to the announcement of this collection liquidation. 

$113,251 total on those pages. If CC got a 10% commission, that's $11,325.

So James cleared at least $100,000 on this art.

10 hours ago, delekkerste said:

So, here's a partial list of what sold:

#1 splash (Rick in bed):  $27,000
#26 cover (zombies reflected in helmet):  $18,300
#106 wraparound heroes vs. zombies cover:  $16,252
#2 first app. Glenn page:  $10,600
#108 cover (1st Ezekiel/Shiva):  $8,420
#6 Carl shoots Shane page:  $8,000
#101 variant cover (Michonne blaxploitation cover by Rugg):  $4,600
#2 second app. Glenn page:  $4,350
#108 half splash second Ezekiel/Shiva:  $2,655
#91 first Jesus app. splash:  $2,550
#115 All Out War good guys DPS:  $2,472
#98 Abraham dies page:  $2,100
#33 Michonne starts to scoop out Governor's eye page:  $2,100
#26 Rick/Michonne/Glenn splash:  $2,052
#33 Michonne scoops out eyeball page:  $1,850

I'm not super-fanatical about tracking WD OA prices, but, these strike me as being pretty healthy considering the absence of James J (the seller) from the bidding process.  I think a lot of people, for example, expected the #1 splash to sell for a lot less this time around (it obviously did not).  

Among the more run-of-the-mill pages, there were deals to be had, IMO - prices were certainly lower on a number of them than one would have expected on eBay or at a dealer prior to the announcement of this collection liquidation. 

I, personally, liked the Glenn 1st appearance page more than Rick in bed page. 

I think I would prefer the Glenn 1st appearance page, the Carl shoots Shane page, and keep the other $9k and change in my pocket over the Rick in bed page...for all of its story-history significance. 

The results of the A-list TWD pages doesn't shock me. A-list is gonna A-list. And I was fully expecting the less than A-list to perform as they did. 

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

The former.

Come on, it's Travis Charest.  The poor man's Jim Lee.

Ah, ok.  Was just curious.  Travis definitely started his career on the bones of Jim Lee's art style, but have you seen any of his work since about 1995?  That's when he went off in an entirely different direction.  Worth checking out! (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I think I would prefer the Glenn 1st appearance page, the Carl shoots Shane page, and keep the other $9k and change in my pocket over the Rick in bed page...for all of its story-history significance. 

The results of the A-list TWD pages doesn't shock me. A-list is gonna A-list. And I was fully expecting the less than A-list to perform as they did. 

A-list is gonna A-list!  A new OA axiom is born!

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Ok, that's how I saw it as well. The A level pieces did well, and I thought some of the 3 figure pages were steals, selling in many cases for less than half what I expected. I would have bid on a bunch of them had I realized they would go for those prices. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off at work so couldn't pay attention to the auction while lots were closing.

Congrats to James! From the list Gene posted, at least, it appears he did very well. Certainly, overall interest in WD feels like it's plateaued (or even declined) the last couple of years. But looks like any hopes for depressed values and corresponding buying opportunities aren't going to happen anytime soon.

Again, going by Gene's examples. A-list gonna A-list!

56 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

That Rick in Bed page is going to be valuable, and those Glenn pages are not going to retain their value over time. I think WD will only end when Rick finally dies.

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

That Rick in Bed page is going to be valuable, and those Glenn pages are not going to retain their value over time. I think WD will only end when Rick finally dies.

This was more of my personal preference. The Glenn and Shane pages are just better pages of art. They are from the elusive Tony Moore issues, they are key plot elements from the origin/evolution of those characters, and they are very well executed pieces. 

If I was worried about "valuable" over time I wouldn't be putting much into any of these pages right now. 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

This was more of my personal preference. The Glenn and Shane pages are just better pages of art. They are from the elusive Tony Moore issues, they are key plot elements from the origin/evolution of those characters, and they are very well executed pieces. 

If I was worried about "valuable" over time I wouldn't be putting much into any of these pages right now. 

Sure. The Rick in Bed page is also a Tony Moore page, of course.  And as a general matter I agree with you that most of the WD pages will not retain their value over time. I think that Rick one might be the exception. It's quite an iconic page.  And I thin it is pretty well executed artistically. But, I am not a WD fan, so I defer to others.

7 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Sure. The Rick in Bed page is also a Tony Moore page, of course.  And as a general matter I agree with you that most of the WD pages will not retain their value over time. I think that Rick one might be the exception. It's quite an iconic page.  And I thin it is pretty well executed artistically. But, I am not a WD fan, so I defer to others.

It's as well executed as an entirely static page without movement can be. All of Tony's pages from those first six issues are well done. 

Hopefully it can find a forever home this time. 

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I couldn't disagree more.  Those Moore pages will retain value.   You might get better price appreciation from other comic art pieces.  However, unless there is a collapse in comic art as a whole, I wouldn't expect a collapse in Moore or early Adlard TWD art. 

2 minutes ago, Claudio said:

I couldn't disagree more.  Those Moore pages will retain value.   You might get better price appreciation from other comic art pieces.  However, unless there is a collapse in comic art as a whole, I wouldn't expect a collapse in Moore or early Adlard TWD art. 

I think he might be referring to the WDPSC* era.....nothing will escape the vacuum that will be created once there is no more multi-media created inertia. It's not a shot at the artwork at all, because it's the best stuff of the run, it's a reality of pop culture created collectibles. In the absence of fresh stimuli attention and dollars will flow elsewhere. 

*Walking Dead Post-Show Cancellation 

58 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I think he might be referring to the WDPSC* era.....nothing will escape the vacuum that will be created once there is no more multi-media created inertia. It's not a shot at the artwork at all, because it's the best stuff of the run, it's a reality of pop culture created collectibles. In the absence of fresh stimuli attention and dollars will flow elsewhere. 

Right. But, as with a lot of pop culture phenomenon, there will be an initial lag period (a decade or so) after the final show goes off the air where things dip, and then "nostalgia" will kick in as the teens and millennials who really grew up on the show become middle-aged in their prime income earning years.

32 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Right. But, as with a lot of pop culture phenomenon, there will be an initial lag period (a decade or so) after the final show goes off the air where things dip, and then "nostalgia" will kick in as the teens and millennials who really grew up on the show become middle-aged in their prime income earning years.

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

I still doubt it.  Those initial arcs were great and the Moore art is terrific.  I don't think people are buying that art because of the show.  I think they are buying because of the comic