• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Done and done, boys, done and done.  Had to go with the SS6 followed by you know what.  If only I had a spare 25 large

(shrug)

Good choice for #1 and #2.  Those were mine, as well... just reversed. 

Now we just need 5 more rankings...? 

5 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Let's just post the results already lol

I'm inclined to agree.  Why do we need 30 voters, anyway?  We're pretty close to that.  Besides, I don't know what else we can do to get those additional votes that we haven't tried already.   (shrug)

8 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I'm inclined to agree.  Why do we need 30 voters, anyway?  We're pretty close to that.  Besides, I don't know what else we can do to get those additional votes that we haven't tried already.   (shrug)

Compiling the numbers soon.

There was a few that only submitted 3 comics. They need to list all 18 to make the poll work.

I'll post the results, after I vote. :D

Edited by tabcom

12 minutes ago, tabcom said:

Compiling the numbers soon. 

There was a few that only submitted 3 comics. They need to list all 18 to make the poll work. 

I'll post the results, after I vote. :D

You get to vote?  I thought you needed to remain impartial, since you have a good idea which way the poll is going, even before you add up the numbers... 

Hmmm...   :rulez:  hm

Edited by 29dukedog

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

You get to vote?  I thought you needed to remain impartial, since you have a good idea which way the poll is going, even before you add up the numbers... 

Hmmm...   :rulez:  hm

OK. I guess I did start the thread by volunteering as the Moderator. You guys are tough.

7 minutes ago, tabcom said:

OK. I guess I did start the thread by volunteering as the Moderator. You guys are tough.

Would love to see your own picks, I just don't think they should be counted in the poll (for the reasons stated above). 

Just now, 29dukedog said:

Would love to see your own picks, I just don't think they should be counted in the poll (for the reasons stated above). 

I ok not doing it. Although I'm a long time GA collector, don't know much about what is popular with Matt Baker. Hence, heading this poll up is a good education for me.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:59 AM, tabcom said:

Amazing Ghost Stories 14
Authentic Police Cases 6
Cinderella Love 25
Diary Secrets 26
Giant Comics Editions 12
Going Steady 10
Jo Jo 25
Phantom Lady 16
Phantom Lady 17
Phantom Lady 18
Phantom Lady 23
Seven Seas 4
Seven Seas 6 
Teen-Age Romances 14
Teen-Age Romances 32
Teen-Age Romances 43
Teen-Age Temptations 2
True Love PictorIal 11

Baker Cover List.jpg

POLLS ENDING SOON.

GET YOUR 18 RANKINGS IN NOW.

19 minutes ago, tabcom said:

I ok not doing it. Although I'm a long time GA collector, don't know much about what is popular with Matt Baker. Hence, heading this poll up is a good education for me.

I don't think what others feel is "popular" makes any difference. It is personal preference. I voted on the ones I liked the best. I don't always go with the herd. Some of the books that Baker did get a lot of praise. A lot of them just leave me flat. I agree as the poll taker, you need to be impartial. But, that being said, after it is over it would be great to see your list. 

By the way, Matt Baker seems to be the king of the boards these days and deservedly so. There are 3 threads here on the first page everyday alone. 

Makes me wonder who the most popular GA artist of all time would be? Some, like Kirby seem to go in and out of fashion in time. Years ago, hardly anybody talked about Baker. That's when I was quietly scooping up his work.

My favorite would be Schomburg. Closely followed by Baker and most of the EC artists. 

But that is a topic for another time. 

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

By the way, Matt Baker seems to be the king of the boards these days and deservedly so. There are 3 threads here on the first page everyday alone. 

Makes me wonder who the most popular GA artist of all time would be? Some, like Kirby seem to go in and out of fashion in time. Years ago, hardly anybody talked about Baker. That's when I was quietly scooping up his work.

My favorite would be Schomburg. Closely followed by Baker and most of the EC artists. 

But that is a topic for another time. 

Although not as popular, I'm considering starting a GA Steve Ditko poll of best comics. If there is any interest.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

In the last 15 years or so, Baker's popularity has undergone an expansion second only to that of the universe, a nano second after the big bang.  (Google "cosmos + expansion".)

On eBay in 2003, I won a raw Cinderella Love #28 in about 5.5 at auction.  My winning bid of $168. was then considered so astronomically high, the seller offered to ship the book at no additional cost (he was a big time dealer, too).  He was so stunned, he wanted to know what my high bid was, and I told him; in the last few seconds I just entered $222., as it was fast and easy. 

The underbidder was one of our boardies- he probably knows who he is- and between the two of us, and one other boardie, we are largely responsible for kicking off the trend of paying more and more for Bakers on eBay, starting right around 2003.  (I can't believe I actually used to refer to the OSPG prior to bidding for them!)     

Edited by 29dukedog

4 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Also...It's possible Baker may one day have more cross cultural recognition...He seems like he should be more recognized as a pioneer in the African American community, though his biography, art of glamour, makes the case that race wasn't central to his identity.

Who knows, maybe someday someone does a movie or a first rate documentary about the guy's life...  he certainly seems worthy of it.

Ok.... intellectual hat off... let's get back to talkin bout which covers have the best bewbs again...

I don't see why the color of his skin should make any difference. As well as male or female. Great art is universal. 

18 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I'll admit when I was 20 I wouldn't even give a romance comic a second glance.  I looked at them with scorn... and moved to the next box.  Now that I'm 42 I dig them because the art looks better than what his contemporaries did, and the themes and history behind romance and other genres in general seem cooler to me.

That's very similar to how I came to romance comics, too.  In the '80's, I was busy filling out my SA Marvel runs... (and I'm glad I did this at that particular time)... but romance comics were largely a joke to me back then.  I was aware of Cinderella Love #25, having seen it pictured in the 1980 OS, and even then I wanted one, if only just that one. 

So, whenever we went to a show, I'd look for Marvels and my girlfriend would buy cheap BA romance.  She never got a Baker romance, though... and it must've been because she never found any, not because they were too expensive.