• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I agree the face, the hands and men are Baker's work and you should check PL17's hands and post what you think :smile:

Very good point on the hands as Baker was a true master drawing hands.  I feel that the PL 17 has some pretty heavy-handed inking that distorts some of the underlying Baker pencils, but is probably mostly Baker.

Some of us get really spoiled by his St. John romance work but forget some of his earlier work in Crown that was pretty stiff so Phantom Lady might represent the bridge and growth that evolved into his classic St. John work. 

Edited by BakerFanOne

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

Do people get in debates over schomburg attributions?

Yes.  He had imitators and, near the end of his comic career, he was imitating others.

6 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Jo Jo #25 has been debated at length, as have the Phantom Lady covers.  I'm sure they will continue to be debated for a long time to come.  

Let's set the debates aside long enough to complete this survey.  Please just include all 18 covers in your ranking. 

(If any of them are omitted, I would suggest that the moderator replace them at the end of the list, for the sake of calculating the ranking.)

I did just that. My problem with leaving any books off will only skew the rankings even more.

Aside from the fact a few of the 18 in my opinion only have a 50/50 chance of being Bakers (and a few others though more likely being Baker could still not be his work) I had a more difficult time picking after finishing about half that list. Because although there isn't a single cover of the 18 I don't consider good after picking about 8 or 9 covers the rest could have easily been on my top 50 or lower in some cases. 

I guess that speaks for the diversity in taste here, the volume of exposer each poster has had to Bakers catalog of work,  and/or the large volume of Bakers cover work either in fact or assumed as such.

True Bakers or "Baker being aped" covers, I'm still interested (for fun) to see how the selections pan out.

2 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

A little surprised this one did not make the list

TAR_9.jpg

Teen-Age Romances although running only 45 issues with several of them being photo covers could easily have its own top 10 covers that could compete fairly well with any other top 10 Baker list. It's a very strong title in general for Bakers covers and probably the best title out there that continues to promote his work.

Votes Submitted: 16

29dukedog

szavisca

Ricksneatstuff

sagii

Yorick

exitmusicblue

BitterOldMan

X_Phile

Robot Man

RareHighGrade

sacentaur

SuperGrover

BakerFanOne

comicnoir

NerV

Hudson

Edited by tabcom

6 minutes ago, tabcom said:

6 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

And this one too

AllPicture.jpg

What is hurting this cover is that it is too rare. I would guess most contributors weren't aware of it. Congrats on owning it.

And this one would've just opened another can of worms, as its artist credits are also a subject of debate... 

apatls2_D_Copy_ab.jpg

14 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Jo-Jo 25 is Baker IMO. There are definitely expert opinions on both sides of that opinion.  It is said to be Baker in many reference materials and also considered by some to be a great Iger imitation.  We don't know for sure  (shrug)

I disagree with Rick.  Anyone who owns a Jo-Jo 25 should consider it worthless and immediately sell it to me before words gets out that it might not be a Baker.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Jo Jo 25 group of 10 (3).jpg

2 hours ago, tabcom said:

Votes Submitted: 15

29dukedog

szavisca

Ricksneatstuff

sagii

Yorick

exitmusicblue

BitterOldMan

X_Phile

Robot Man

RareHighGrade

sacentaur

SuperGrover

BakerFanOne

comicnoir

NerV

This is only half the number of people who voted in Phase One. 

Let's go, you guys!  Send in those rankings.  We're so close to the end. 

For those that haven't voted yet, please submit your comic rankings in order with NO #s before the title.

It will save me an hour stripping out the number rankings to get the spreadsheet to create an accurate hierarchy . 

Without the 1, 2, 3, ... #s, it is much easier to plug into the spreadsheet.

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, tabcom said:

For those that haven't voted yet, please submit your comic rankings in order with NO #s before the title.

It will save me an hour stripping out the number rankings to get the spreadsheet to create an accurate hierarchy . 

Without the 1, 2, 3, ... #s, it is much easier to plug into the spreadsheet.

Thanks.

Oops, I'm one of those guys... Would you like me to resend without the numbers?