• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

Voted Phase Two, but was surprised to see PL23 on the list of best Matt Baker covers.  Jack Kamen has always been listed as the artist to the cover of PL23.  Kamen was very well known for GGA.

I almost omitted it altogether.  But since it was on the list, and "fair game"... I just put it last.  (shrug)

10 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I almost omitted it altogether.  But since it was on the list, and "fair game"... I just put it last.  (shrug)

I also put PL23 last.  I was also going to leave it off the list, but realized since the lowest total number would be the highest ranked, giving PL23 zero would put the comic on top.

Edited by BitterOldMan

This is nice work by tabcom and the contributors, but a poll of the best Bakers that includes 5 issues of dubious, at best, attribution to Baker isn't necessarily meaningful to me. 2c

The 5 are the Jo-jo and the Phantom Lady's.

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

This is nice work by tabcom and the contributors, but a poll of the best Bakers that includes 5 issues of dubious, at best, attribution to Baker isn't necessarily meaningful to me. 2c

The 5 are the Jo-jo and the Phantom Lady's.

You do have a point.  Anyone else of that opinion is welcome to disregard those 5 books and call it a top 13 list. 

4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

You do have a point.  Anyone else of that opinion is welcome to disregard those 5 books and call it a top 13 list. 

When people vote for what I consider to be non-Baker covers I have no clue as to what there preference is for actual Baker covers.  If we continue with those 5 in the mix for subsequent rounds, then I consider the results too likely to be skewed.

12 hours ago, tabcom said:

PM ME YOUR RANKED COVERS

Amazing Ghost Stories 14
Authentic Police Cases 6
Cinderella Love 25
Diary Secrets 26
Giant Comics Editions 12
Going Steady 10
Jo Jo 25
Phantom Lady 16
Phantom Lady 17
Phantom Lady 18
Phantom Lady 23
Seven Seas 4
Seven Seas 6 
Teen-Age Romances 14
Teen-Age Romances 32
Teen-Age Romances 43
Teen-Age Temptations 2
True Love PictorIal 11

Baker Cover List.jpg

Just a question on this list but doesn't CGC still not credit Jo Jo #25 as a Matt Baker cover? I know GCD and Heritage list it as such but I seem to remember debate at one time that it should be left as possible but unconfirmed. 

50 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Just a question on this list but doesn't CGC still not credit Jo Jo #25 as a Matt Baker cover? I know GCD and Heritage list it as such but I seem to remember debate at one time that it should be left as possible but unconfirmed. 

Jo Jo #25 has been debated at length, as have the Phantom Lady covers.  I'm sure they will continue to be debated for a long time to come.  

Let's set the debates aside long enough to complete this survey.  Please just include all 18 covers in your ranking. 

(If any of them are omitted, I would suggest that the moderator replace them at the end of the list, for the sake of calculating the ranking.)

17 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Exactly what I was planning to do. :) 

(I meant, on your own time.  After the ranking is finished.)  

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

Are there any other GA artists who's particular attributions are so disputed?

A lot of artists have attributions that are disputed.  Baker started out with the Iger Shop where multiple people worked on the same story, sometimes on the same panel and swiping was commonplace in order to get the product out the door.  Figuring out who did what for Iger is often a challenge.  Baker's later work with St John is less challenging to identify.

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:
1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Exactly what I was planning to do. :) 

(I meant, on your own time.  After the ranking is finished.)  

Well, I just don't believe that those disputed covers belong here so they all went straight to the bottom.

Voted.

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Jo Jo #25 has been debated at length, as have the Phantom Lady covers.  I'm sure they will continue to be debated for a long time to come.  

Let's set the debates aside long enough to complete this survey.  Please just include all 18 covers in your ranking. 

(If any of them are omitted, I would suggest that the moderator replace them at the end of the list, for the sake of calculating the ranking.)

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Jo-Jo 25 is Baker IMO. There are definitely expert opinions on both sides of that opinion.  It is said to be Baker in many reference materials and also considered by some to be a great Iger imitation.  We don't know for sure  (shrug)

I firmly believe that the vast majority of Jo Jo 25 is Baker.  The woman's body may have had some other artists supporting, but the men on the cover are 100% Baker.  Perhaps the original pencils were 100% Baker with some erratic inking raising some questions as to whether others played a hand.  Just my 2 cents.  

18 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

I firmly believe that the vast majority of Jo Jo 25 is Baker.  The woman's body may have had some other artists supporting, but the men on the cover are 100% Baker.  Perhaps the original pencils were 100% Baker with some erratic inking raising some questions as to whether others played a hand.  Just my 2 cents.  

I agree the face, the hands and men are Baker's work and you should check PL17's hands and post what you think :smile: