• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Thanks indeed.  If it's not too much trouble when you put out the final rankings I'd be interested to see how many first place votes each book got too... you could just put it in parentheses after the book's name... kinda like they do in the AP/ESPN college football rankings.

Excel Spreadsheet makes it somewhat easy to do.

Edited by tabcom

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I think the SOTI angle gave this one a boost in early fandom.  I much prefer Kamen's cover to 23 (but that's an old debate!).

lf_zpsiggmpqio.jpg

PL 23 is a great bondage cover but for me, it is hard to see any Baker in this cover excepts for parts of Phantom Lady's face.  Definitely agree that this is more likely the work of Kamen and maybe some Feldstein with a composite of Fox studio artists lending a hand including Baker.   I know many speculate on how much of the PL covers were by Baker and I personally only see 13, 15, and 20 as being primarily completed by Baker.  The 13 being representative of his earlier Crown comics style and 15 representing the more fluid style we see in his St. John work.  20 is a bit of a hybrid.  (BTW - a smart boardie reminded me of 20 being a Baker cover so I amended my post).

Edited by BakerFanOne

Props to tabcom, for sure! -- Thank you, it was fun and it is still fun to watch!

My TOP 1 got excluded :frown: (PL 20).

If my TOP 2 and 3 hadn't made the cut (they made it), I wouldn't have bothered, but like this, I'd like to consider myself "disqualified" from further voting ... (Really, it wouldn't be a "true" ranking for me.) You will have enough - and true - votes for the final result nonethless! I look forward to reading all the comments on the final result! ;)

10 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Only one of mine made it- but that was because I was trying to get books in that might not otherwise. I am really shocked All Top 16 did not get enough votes to be on the list. 

That was probably pretty smart.  In retrospect, I wish I'd voted for something other than PL 17, as there was little doubt it would've made the ballot without my help.  (Of course, the same is true of all three of my picks, as it turned out.)  So, in ranking the ballot, I dropped PL 17 a couple of slots.  

There were a couple I was surprised to see made the list at all (I probably have Rick to thank for that, in part).  And I really though at least one other Cinderella Love would get in there.  

I felt obliged to put PL 23 last, as I feel there is enough doubt over Baker's contribution to it.  

6 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

That was probably pretty smart.  In retrospect, I wish I'd voted for something other than PL 17, as there was little doubt it would've made the ballot without my help.  (Of course, the same is true of all three of my picks, as it turned out.)  So, in ranking the ballot, I dropped PL 17 a couple of slots.  

There were a couple I was surprised to see made the list at all (I probably have Rick to thank for that, in part).  And I really though at least one other Cinderella Love would get in there.  

I felt obliged to put PL 23 last, as I feel there is enough doubt over Baker's contribution to it.  

The only one of my 3 to even make the list was PL18

On September 21, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I think the SOTI angle gave this one a boost in early fandom.  I much prefer Kamen's cover to 23 (but that's an old debate!).

lf_zpsiggmpqio.jpg

A hard choice indeed! I have to still go with #17. Other than the obvious, it's the look on her face. It was my first GGA book. I couldn't whip out that 5 dollar bill to buy it at a local convention many years ago without even looking through it. 

35 minutes ago, sagii said:

Voted. Two of my top 3 ( culled from the 'no brainer' pool) made the cut. My underdog choice , Approved Comics 12 didn't. 

Good job for the effort, though.  (thumbsu

I'm also proud of whoever voted for some of the less "salacious" covers, like DS 26, GS 10, TR 43, and Amazing Ghost Stories 14.  Otherwise, the turnout was largely what I expected. 

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

Good job for the effort, though.  (thumbsu

I'm also proud of whoever voted for some of the less "salacious" covers, like DS 26, GS 10, TR 43, and Amazing Ghost Stories 14.  Otherwise, the turnout was largely what I expected. 

Agreed. There were certainly some surprises there....

5 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

I am really looking forward to the next round of covers, 19-40. :hi:

i am not as well versed in these great covers.

I wouldn't mind seeing another round, as well.  

But let's not forget, the ranking on this round is still in progress.  I fear some people will mistakenly believe the job is done.  (It might help if tabcom kept up a running list of boardies who have submitted their ranked lists...  :foryou: 

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

My number one also did not make the list.

VOTED round two!

Maybe that's a good thing actually.  It just means my favorite is not on YOUR radar!!!  Time to work a deal for that census topper....

2 minutes ago, Yorick said:

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

My number one also did not make the list.

VOTED round two!

Maybe that's a good thing actually.  It just means my favorite is not on YOUR radar!!!  Time to work a deal for that census topper....

The data this project reveals will prove a valuable marketing tool.  Someone is always asking, "What are the most valuable/desirable Bakers?"  Now we'll have a realistic answer to that... at least, in part.