• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Last book I need to complete my Baker St John run.  Love to find a copy, obviously, but I wouldn't put it near the top of my favorite Baker covers.

Definitely agree it doesn't have the stunning visuals of CL 25 or Seven Seas 4 or 6.  But there is an understated awesomeness of this cover that I love including the car, the background scenery and the fluidity of the woman in motion.  I guess I am a bit of a sucker for all St. John giants!

20 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Jo-Jo 25 is Baker IMO. There are definitely expert opinions on both sides of that opinion.  It is said to be Baker in many reference materials and also considered by some to be a great Iger imitation.  We don't know for sure  (shrug)

Well if you had just listened to your Beatles music all the way back in the 1960's this point had been discussed and resolved by the Fab Four.

Jojo 25 was a comic who thought he was a Baker
But he knew it wouldn't last
Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona
For some Big Baker cash

Get back, get back
Get back to where you once belonged
Get back, get back
Get back to where you once belonged
Get back Jojo 25, go home

Get back, get back
Back to where you once belonged
Get back, get back
Back to where you once belonged
Get back Jo 

John, Paul, George and Ringo clearly knew what was going on with JoJo #25 and its claim of being a Baker book. They even offered it advice. Debate over. :devil:

5 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Last book I need to complete my Baker St John run.  Love to find a copy, obviously, but I wouldn't put it near the top of my favorite Baker covers.

Definitely agree it doesn't have the stunning visuals of CL 25 or Seven Seas 4 or 6.  But there is an understated awesomeness of this cover that I love including the car, the background scenery and the fluidity of the woman in motion.  I guess I am a bit of a sucker for all St. John giants!

I find the subject of that cover interesting, as my copy contains a Teen-Age Romances #23, with the lead story, "I Ran Away with a Truck Driver".  It makes me wonder if there wasn't an intentional design at work here, since most copies of this rebound giant contain books that were published right around the same time period as TR 23 (mine also has TR 16 and a TR 22).  I almost wonder if the cover was either done for the giant with the likely contents in mind, or is an unused variant cover for TR 23.  

TR23_panel.jpg

apatls1_pb.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
clarification

27 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I find the subject of that cover interesting, as my copy contains a Teen-Age Romances #23, with the cover story, "I Ran Away with a Truck Driver".  It makes me wonder if there wasn't an intentional design at work here, since most copies of this giant contain books that were published right around the same time period as TR 23 (mine also has TR 16 and a TR 22).  I almost wonder if the cover was either done for the giant with the likely contents in mind, or is an unused variant cover for TR 23.  

TR23_panel.jpg

apatls1_pb.jpg

Interesting.  I guess the cover is advertising a story that doesn't actually appear in the book (or anywhere else?). hm

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting.  I guess the cover * is advertising a story that doesn't actually appear in the book (or anywhere else?).

*of TR 23 (?)  Must be.  Makes no sense otherwise. 

Correction:  "I Ran Away with a Truck Driver" is the lead story in TR 23.  The cover corresponds to the last story in that issue, "Weekend Paradise".  

Edited by 29dukedog
clarification

3 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

I remember reading where the giants were merely bundled remainder comics.  So each 25 cent giant could contain different interiors.  For EC giants, the interiors vary widely.

That's right.  Even True Love Pictorial 4 and Pictorial Romances 19 (giants which normally contain newly created material) are both known to have rebound variants.  (At the Digital Comic Museum, both of those books are copies of the rebound variants, and therefore do not represent the intended contents!) 

The contents of the St. John rebound giants also vary widely, but each of them tend to use books originally published within a relatively narrow time period, and I've noticed some remaindered issues used quite frequently.  

Edited by 29dukedog
added desc.

On September 20, 2017 at 10:59 AM, tabcom said:

20 Ballots In

Need at least 30 to close the poll.

Amazing Ghost Stories 14
Authentic Police Cases 6
Cinderella Love 25
Diary Secrets 26
Giant Comics Editions 12
Going Steady 10
Jo Jo 25
Phantom Lady 16
Phantom Lady 17
Phantom Lady 18
Phantom Lady 23
Seven Seas 4
Seven Seas 6 
Teen-Age Romances 14
Teen-Age Romances 32
Teen-Age Romances 43
Teen-Age Temptations 2
True Love PictorIal 11

Baker Cover List.jpg

Polls still open

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

That's right.  Even True Love Pictorial 4 and Pictorial Romances 19 (giants which normally contain newly created material) are both known to have rebound variants.  (At the Digital Comic Museum, both of those books are copies of the rebound variants, and therefore do not represent the intended contents!) 

The contents of the St. John rebound giants also vary widely, but each of them tend to use books originally published within a relatively narrow time period, and I've noticed some remaindered issues used quite frequently.  

The St John giant All-Picture Comedy Carnival sometimes contains a rebound Baker (TAR 27 I think) and sometimes doesn't.  Metro had a copy listed on its site for a while that they claimed in the listing had Baker art.  I had them tell me the titles of the stories and none of them was a Baker story. I let them know, but they didn't change the listing.  No longer on their site, so I guess somebody bought it.  

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

The St John giant All-Picture Comedy Carnival sometimes contains a rebound Baker (TAR 27 I think) and sometimes doesn't.  Metro had a copy listed on its site for a while that they claimed in the listing had Baker art.  I had them tell me the titles of the stories and none of them was a Baker story. I let them know, but they didn't change the listing.  No longer on their site, so I guess somebody bought it.  

As I recall, I sold you an All-Picture Comedy Carnival, myself, and it did contain a TR 27.  I remember it.  I've seen TR 27 in one or two other rebound giants, as well.  I think St. John had more than a few extras.  This has lead me to speculate there may have been other plentiful extras... possibly TR 23... possibly even so many, they might have created a new cover related to the contents to facilitate marketing them (APATLS #1).  Just a pet theory of mine. 

42 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

As I recall, I sold you an All-Picture Comedy Carnival, myself, and it did contain a TR 27.  I remember it.  I've seen TR 27 in one or two other rebound giants, as well.  I think St. John had more than a few extras.  This has lead me to speculate there may have been other plentiful extras... possibly TR 23... possibly even so many, they might have created a new cover related to the contents to facilitate marketing them (APATLS #1).  Just a pet theory of mine. 

And made me pay through the nose! :cry:

$100 for a FN/VF copy.  Sheer extortion! :taptaptap:

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

I can vote 10 more times if need be... I promise I'll only put Jo-Jo #25 in first place on eight of those ballots too.

We could always run a fake Baker cover poll to go with the real Baker covers poll then... :baiting:

14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

58 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

And made me pay through the nose! :cry:

$100 for a FN/VF copy.  Sheer extortion! :taptaptap:

You remember!   :luhv: