• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collection We Looked At
7 7

1,026 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, kav said:

I want to ask how much but I know thats verboten.  just tell us if u got a good deal!!!

It cost a fair bit since the owner knew how much his collection was worth. 

In the end I considered it a fair deal as we both had to make concessions to meet in the middle - I paid more than my ideal price, and he had to come down from his asking price as well. lol 

Thanks. This collection actually does not crack the top 5 that I have had the fortune of picking up since I first started selling on the side 20 years ago for one simple reason - the books are low to mid grade for the most part. I wish I could go back to 1997-2003 when uber HG SA and BA Marvel and DC collections, as well as nice GA collections, were easy to find and cheap. 

Edited by kimik

1 minute ago, kimik said:

Thanks. This collection actually does not crack the top 5 that I have had the fortune of picking up since I first started selling on the side 20 years ago for one simple reason - the books are low to mid grade for the most part. I wish I could go back to 1997-2003 when uber HG SA and BA Marvel and DC collections, as well as nice GA collections, were easy to find and cheap. 

jaw-dropping.gif

1 hour ago, kimik said:

To put things further into perspective, my best collection purchase would not crack the top 10 of a lot of other long time boardies. :sorry:

"There's always a bigger fish"

15 hours ago, kav said:

"There's always a bigger fish"

Too true. There was a post in the Golden Age thread a long time ago where some of the boardies had pics of collections with Action 1-10 in nice shape, Tec #27-38, Marvel Comics 1 up, Captain America 1 up, etc. It was awesome to see.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Too true. There was a post in the Golden Age thread a long time ago where some of the boardies had pics of collections with Action 1-10 in nice shape, Tec #27-38, Marvel Comics 1 up, Captain America 1 up, etc. It was awesome to see.

There is the Bangzoom thread where he posted the piles of comics he liberated from the trash heap.

32 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

There is the Bangzoom thread where he posted the piles of comics he liberated from the trash heap.

That was one of the best threads, if not the best, on these boards. Not only did we get to see an assortment of treasures that he had amassed over the years, but other boardies started posting their books in it as well. 

Edited by kimik

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

That was one of the best threads, if not the best, on these boards. Not only did we get to see an assortment of treasures that he had amassed over the years, but other boardies started posting their books in it as well. 

it is to bad that Photobucket has destroyed that thread. Thousands of photos are now gone.

59 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it is to bad that Photobucket has destroyed that thread. Thousands of photos are now gone.

Yeah, it was amazing.  I remember when he posted the pic of his AA16.  Holy smokes!   :whatthe:

On 11/8/2018 at 5:34 AM, kimik said:

The first group of raw books that I sent in for grading from the new collection came back from CGC last Friday. Here are the books - the restored books were noted by the collection owner.

And last but not least................

The crying shame book in the collection due to the small piece out of the tip of the bottom right corner:

1081729587_cgcTalesofSuspense39A.thumb.jpg.3a74401e543db17647bccc26a05a7c46.jpg

Sounds like you were dealing with a straight up honest owner...?

It's a shame and hard to believe it's only a 5.5, looks a nice copy otherwise.  (thumbsu

On 11/9/2018 at 2:48 AM, Gnasher said:

Sounds like you were dealing with a straight up honest owner...?

It's a shame and hard to believe it's only a 5.5, looks a nice copy otherwise.  (thumbsu

The owner used to buy books from me between 1997-2006ish when he stopped collecting. He has always been a good person to deal with, and buying the collection from him was the same. It likely helped that we knew each other from before as well. There was one book that he missed some glue on the spine with, but it was a common TTA issue.