• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, what is it that you don't agree with? Is it the values/collectability discussion? I'm interested in your point of view.

I'm biased I guess because I'm personally less interested in those books, but I just don't see stuff like Robin Hood 1, freelance 1, etc belonging in a discussion of the most valuable books. I know they are very rare, but I can't see people really opening up the vault for those the way they might for some of the others.

I also don't see something like slam bang 7, AWESOME as it is, belonging in the discussion either

From my pov if we ignore American reprint stuff I see it as some mix of

Triumph 1,2,7

Nelvana

Better 1, and 3/3

Dime 1

Colossal comics

Name it

Etc

I think anything from Anglo or E.P. Is not quite in the same league. But Im biased I guess

I see your point. It's really hard to gauge what Robin Hood # 1 might be worth, since nobody seems to have one. I think your right about Freelance # 1, though. I've had my eye on a coverless one (with a photocopied cover) that's been on eBay for a few weeks with no bites for $400 USD:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/381490734432?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller says in the item description that it is "...probably harder to find than Action 1." Meanwhile, in general, coverless American keys fetch thousands (if not tens of thousands) and sell rather quickly. Maybe this is a supply and demand issue (limited supply, but limited demand)?

Either way, for the moment, I'm going to enjoy reading my new Freelance books. :)

I have to agree with this, at least to an extent, because whenever WECA books seem to come up for sale they are almost always Anglo-American comics (and not just the ones that brunom perpetually has available in his eBay museum).

Finally sorted through the recent collection I purchased, and rather than eat up tons of bandwidth I have uploaded all the Canadian reprint and specialty books to a photobucket album:

Canadian comics on Photobucket

There are still a few more but these are the more interesting books. Many I am sure you have seen before but probably a couple you haven't. The Canadian Whites and others I sold at the outset are not included in the album.

There's some really fun stuff there, Bob. I really like some of the horror books. It must have been a pretty good collection, as you have some eclectic stuff at auction on eBay right now too. Kudos.

Finally sorted through the recent collection I purchased, and rather than eat up tons of bandwidth I have uploaded all the Canadian reprint and specialty books to a photobucket album:

Canadian comics on Photobucket

There are still a few more but these are the more interesting books. Many I am sure you have seen before but probably a couple you haven't. The Canadian Whites and others I sold at the outset are not included in the album.

:applause:

Edited by eccomic

Thanks guys, It was a lot of fun going through all the books, a very diverse grouping for sure. I ended up with about 250 solid keepers, which I am ecstatic over.

It was also a great education on the Canadian comics and their diversity, which has in turn sparked my curiousity. Like I needed more genres to follow :screwy:

Side benefit was getting to connect with and get to know some really great people from this forum. You guys are no where near as weird as I expected you to be..... :)

1st GA Deadshot is pretty sweet, mind you it is a Canadian reprint with fewer pages than the US version (only 36) and has inferior print quality. I find these desirable, but not everyone shares that view. It's a cool piece of Canadian comic history, though not nearly as significant as the Canadian Whites.

Edited by ecgt

I don't know much about the scarcity of these Canadian published books, but I found this in a box of misc comics that I forgot I had.

Batman59_zps72gcgvru.jpg

Batman59BC_zpsed4f2d9d.jpg

As far as scarcity, I think that is pretty hard to get a firm number. In 1950 Canada had about one tenth the population of the USA so that might be a good number to go from but it is hard to say. Like other foreign printings and variants these books don't seem to bring the same price their American counterparts realize. As a collector I enjoy them and grab them when I can regardless.

That's a cool book in any variation.

Here is one you never see. Mad # 1 Canadian Edition :cloud9:

Only FIVE (5) copies extant on the CGC Census of the Canadian edition versus its American counterpart at 305 copies. :o

This is the highest graded Universal Blue copy

Certified by CGC:

Mad%201_zpshvxtk8x8.jpg

When I acquired it in its raw uncertified state

_57_zpsvfocu6vd.jpg

ee_zpsdo7bi9wg.jpg

uuuuu_zps1l8nfta0.jpg

iiii_zpsutyoqfkl.jpg

Interesting article published in the Comic Book Marketplace

Mad%201%20CDN_zpsiupooxyr.jpg

Edited by eccomic