• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2023 at 2:57 PM, Silver Surfer said:

No copies of the Best Western #59 graded as of yet:

CADv.jpg

I have a complete copy of that book I index scanned key pages of in the past and can do a complete scan of.

I try to complete scan all Whites I have and CDN reprints but I have too many books to do compete scans and not enough spare time. 

On 10/17/2023 at 10:50 PM, comicginger1789 said:

This lovely is on its way to me. Can’t say as I’ve seen one this nice for sale ever. Great cover too 

IMG_8828.jpeg

congrats!   I haven't seen that one before.    What character is pictured there?   Its quite a striking contrast to Archie.

On 10/18/2023 at 9:34 AM, Bronty said:

congrats!   I haven't seen that one before.    What character is pictured there?   Its quite a striking contrast to Archie.

Honestly, I have no idea. I know this issue is from a 6 issue series, Super Comics, from 1943-1944 that reprinted early Pep Comics. The first issue reprints Pep 22 and is quite pricey for those who seek it. The others seemingly pop up from time to time. This one, I could not find any concrete info on. I feel there is conflicting info on a couple sites about what is inside, who did the cover, etc. I will definitely share the info once in hand. The only other copy I have seen record of for sale is one currently on mycomicshop. But again, the info they list contrasts with a couple other sites like comic book database and a few others. 

There is one lone CGC entry of a 3.0 that someone has. That one, combined with this one, along with the beater on mycomicshop and one more copy (which was posted on someone's website) are the only pictures I have managed to find in scouring the interwebs and other places. Definitely tough to find and I am personally intrigued to see what the inside has in store.

On 10/18/2023 at 10:16 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Honestly, I have no idea. I know this issue is from a 6 issue series, Super Comics, from 1943-1944 that reprinted early Pep Comics. The first issue reprints Pep 22 and is quite pricey for those who seek it. The others seemingly pop up from time to time. This one, I could not find any concrete info on. I feel there is conflicting info on a couple sites about what is inside, who did the cover, etc. I will definitely share the info once in hand. The only other copy I have seen record of for sale is one currently on mycomicshop. But again, the info they list contrasts with a couple other sites like comic book database and a few others. 

There is one lone CGC entry of a 3.0 that someone has. That one, combined with this one, along with the beater on mycomicshop and one more copy (which was posted on someone's website) are the only pictures I have managed to find in scouring the interwebs and other places. Definitely tough to find and I am personally intrigued to see what the inside has in store.

You outbid me for that copy in that Bellville auction. I stopped because I already had a lower grade copy. The character on the cover is The Hangman and it's taken from a Pep splash.

On 10/20/2023 at 12:55 AM, sarvaj said:

You outbid me for that copy in that Bellville auction. I stopped because I already had a lower grade copy. The character on the cover is The Hangman and it's taken from a Pep splash.

My nemesis! Hahaha, I was very excited to get it, along with some others in that auction that I think went for a song

The Pep splash makes sense, as it def looks splash page-esque!

Edited by comicginger1789

On 7/23/2023 at 9:12 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I've owned 3 (8.5, 4.5 and a low grade copy). Aside from your book I have only ever seen another very low grade copy that was torn up. The Cap #74 is even rarer, only seen 2 copies on the market and maybe another copy that is posted on the Grandcomic database? 

Cap 74 - also a great book with a great story - one of the best of the Golden Age.