• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

The character, who in the comics and on TV has previously appeared as the heroine Isis, was created for the old Shazam/Isis Hour before coming to the comics. Her modern version appeared in 52, and was reworked somewhat. Later, a version of Tomaz -- named Zari Tomaz, played by Tala Ashe -- was introduced on DC's Legends of Tomorrow. That version had the "Isis" name removed, due to the existence of the terrorist group known by that name that was in the headlines at the time of her introduction.

"You know what? I actually tanked the audition for Sex/Life, and I had to put myself on tape five times," Shahi told The Hollywood Reporter. "So Sex/Life was probably the hardest casting process I've ever been in, whereas Black Adam was the easiest casting process. The universe definitely gave me a little kiss on the cheek when I got this one. While I was filming Sex/Life, I put myself on tape in Toronto for a movie I knew nothing about; I didn't even know the title of it. So I auditioned with two very nondescript scenes, and then the world shut down. So the next thing I knew, I got a phone call, saying, 'Remember that movie you went out on?' and I couldn't really remember because it was a couple of months after I auditioned. But they said, 'Well, they want to meet with you, and it's this project called Black Adam with Dwayne Johnson.' And it just sounded so surreal. It sounded like I was being pranked or something. It just didn’t sound real."

Johnson was doing an interview with THR for his upcoming Disney movie release, Jungle Cruise, and spoke about Black Adam (which just wrapped production) and how the character differs from Superman:

“Black Adam has all the powers of Superman, but the difference is he is blessed with magic,” The Rock explains. “And also, by a code of ethics in the world of superheroes, they don’t kill the bad guys, but Black Adam does."

He gets the character. I have a feeling this is going to be a gory fun time.

After sparking chemistry with his star, Dwayne Johnson, the pair worked to convince the studio that Collet-Serra could handle a broad adventure comedy that would resonate with kids and grandparents alike. Based on the popular Disneyland ride, “Jungle Cruise” sits at a unique place in culture, as a popular theme park attraction with no narrative attached.

“Dwayne and I have similar taste in a lot of things. A movie like this cannot just have comedy and fantastical elements — you also have to have emotion.” says Collet-Serra. “The moment that Emily Blunt came into the picture, that energy was elevated. From there it was apparent that my job was just to orient the camera and get out of the way.”

Johnson and Collet-Serra bonded in the depths of that on-screen jungle, to the point that the star recruited the director for his first superhero effort, the DC Films project “Black Adam,” which just wrapped in Atlanta. Collet-Serra calls “Black Adam” the “most complex puzzle of my career,” especially as the Spanish filmmaker grew up on iconic ’80s movies instead of comic books. His take on the character, one who plays in the same universe as Batman and Superman, leans into the grittier side of Johnson’s winning persona.

“Having just done a romantic adventure comedy where he’s very light, I was really attracted to getting the dark version of Dwayne. Basically, turning him into Clint Eastwood in a Western. I was like, ‘You’re like the Dirty Harry of superheroes,’” he says. “I didn’t have to convince people that I was right for this one in the same way that I did for ‘Jungle Cruise.’ It’s like things I’ve done with Liam [Neeson], that tough-guy antihero who has a heart. The world is not black and white. The world is in gray areas, so you need these people that are riding that gray area.”

“Dwayne and I have similar taste in a lot of things. A movie like this cannot just have comedy and fantastical elements — you also have to have emotion.” says Collet-Serra. “The moment that Emily Blunt came into the picture, that energy was elevated. From there it was apparent that my job was just to orient the camera and get out of the way.”

Johnson and Collet-Serra bonded in the depths of that on-screen jungle, to the point that the star recruited the director for his first superhero effort, the DC Films project “Black Adam,” which just wrapped in Atlanta. Collet-Serra calls “Black Adam” the “most complex puzzle of my career,” especially as the Spanish filmmaker grew up on iconic ’80s movies instead of comic books. His take on the character, one who plays in the same universe as Batman and Superman, leans into the grittier side of Johnson’s winning persona.

“Having just done a romantic adventure comedy where he’s very light, I was really attracted to getting the dark version of Dwayne. Basically, turning him into Clint Eastwood in a Western. I was like, ‘You’re like the Dirty Harry of superheroes,’” he says. “I didn’t have to convince people that I was right for this one in the same way that I did for ‘Jungle Cruise.’ It’s like things I’ve done with Liam [Neeson], that tough-guy antihero who has a heart. The world is not black and white. The world is in gray areas, so you need these people that are riding that gray area.”

I was thinking of this the other day when Dwayne Johnson teased Kevin Feige "Hey just waiting on that meeting we are trying to setup".

COLLIDER: I know Dwayne is one of the most in-demand actors working today. Black Adam took a while to finally roll cameras on. In that interim, were you guys ever contacted by Marvel about any possibilities with him working over there?

GARCIA: DJ and Kevin [Feige] have a great relationship and we've flirted around a few ideas before, but nothing serious. There’s a mutual admiration for what we each have been doing and what Kevin has built over there is truly incredible. Ultimately though for us, we’ve always been very committed to what we wanted to build with Black Adam. Black Adam was the character we wanted to bring to life and who we felt DJ was destined to play. Once we set our sites on this character over a decade ago it was hard to imagine DJ plaging anyone else.