• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

Actress Sarah Shahi has shared an image of her comic research and it subtly teases her mysterious role in the upcoming Black Adam movie. Black Adam's big screen debut as a part of the DC Extended Universe has been long anticipated. In 2014, former WWE star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was cast to play the character as a villain in David F. Sandberg's Shazam! movie. But given Johnson's pedigreed stature, DC Films spun the character off into a solo film, set 5000 years after the wrongful imprisonment of the titular Kahndaq warrior. Originally, Johnson's Black Adam movie was scheduled for a December 2021 release. But due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film was delayed indefinitely, with plans for production to begin only in spring 2021.

After Black Adam lost its 2021 release date, its future seemed quite bleak. But then, only days after the postponement, The Rookie star Sarah Shahi's casting was announced in a mysterious role in the movie, assuring anxious fans that the project was still very much on track. Shahi's character was confirmed to be an unnamed university professor who would later join the Kahndaq forces as a freedom fighter. The specific details of her character, however, weren't provided, leaving fans to wonder whether she would play someone from the DC universe, or if she would be seen as a non-comic character. But now, Shahi's latest social media post might throw away some hints about her role in Black Adam.

Shahi posted a picture of her comic research for Black Adam to Instagram, showcasing copies of some of the issues that is she consulting to prepare for her role in the upcoming movie. The issues include #13 and 16 of the limited comic book series 52 and the one-shot Year of the Villain: Black Adam, which came out in October 2019. The specific issues shown in Shahi's post were narratively significant in redeeming the reputation of the corrupted ancient Egyptian, and in establishing him as the antihero that he is in the DC Universe today.

blackadam01.JPG.b51790aa8242fdfa71bf6ba225d7d14d.JPG

Marwan Kenzari, the Aladdin star who stole scenes in The Old Guard, is in final negotiations to join Dwayne Johnson in Black Adam, New Line's action-adventure thriller featuring the DC Comics antihero.

The feature is heading toward an April start in Atlanta with Noah Centineo, Aldis Hodge and Quintessa Swindell on the roll call.

Black Adam is the second New Line/DC film following 2019’s critical and commercial hit Shazam! with the two characters, Shazam and Black Adam, being arch rivals in the DC Universe.

A new report suggests that Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam movie is looking for its Doctor Fate. We know that the film will introduce a version of the Justice Society of America, DC Comics' original superhero team. The film already cast Aldis Hodge as Hawkman and Noah Cenetineo as Atom Smasher and Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone. Doctor Fate also reportedly has a role. While some fans wondered if that's who the new cast member Marwan Kenzari is playing, Murphy's Multiverse reports that the film is still casting for Doctor Fate or someone who fits the description. In addition to looking for a young Teth-Adam and his father, Charles Murphy reports that the film is looking for someone to play a magician described as “powerful being prepared to do what they must to protect the world.” That sounds like an apt description for Doctor Fate. Given that the film will show us Black Adam's ancient origin and include the Justice Society, Fate seems like the obvious choice.

Previous reports hinted at what fans should expect from Doctor Fate in the movie. The Illuminerdi reported that the studio thought of the relationship between Kent Nelson, Doctor Fate's human host, and Nabu, the powerful wizard within Fate's helmet, as something like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

At the time, the studio was reportedly looking for a 30-something male "academic" type to play Nelson. Sam Rockwell was reportedly the template they were using, even though the actor is 51 years old. The cinematic Doctor Fate is reportedly capable of reading minds, using telekinesis, and manipulating time.

Gardner Fox and Howard Sherman created Doctor Fate. The character made his first appearance in More Fun Comics #55 in May 1940. Nabu fights for the cause of good but can veer towards an extreme "lawful good" philosophy, prizing cosmic order above compassion for those beings living in the universe.

The long-awaited Black Adam movie is about to finally become a reality. Dwayne Johnson signed on for the role of DC's anti-hero best known for starring in comic book stories opposite Shazam! back in 2014. The idea started as Johnson appearing in the Shazam! movie which starred Zachary Levi but evolved into a bigger story which called for its own adventure ahead of their potential big screen crossover. Black Adam producer Hiram Garcia talked with ComicBook.com about the many projects in development in Seven Bucks Productions where he serves as President of Production, revealing that Black Adam is gearing up to get underway in a location familiar to the team.

"We're getting started soon, you know actually, we begin filming in April, we'll be in Georgia, home away from home," Garcia says. The Seven Bucks banner has worked in Georgia previously, on titles like Baywatch andthe upcoming Jungle Cruise. "We're really excited man, we have everything is ramped up, we're so fired up for this."

Every time Garcia has sat down with ComicBook.com over the past few years, be it for Hobbs & Shaw or Rampage, the Black Adam topic has come up and the enthusiasm is never lacking. "Obviously, you know how passionate we are about this project," Garcia says. "This is very special to us, and you know, not only Black Adam, but JSA, and all these characters we're introducing to the world and, what we want to do with it, we're just... Look, we were supposed to have been filming last year. COVID, like it delayed everyone, it kinda got in the way, but we're happy we're able to pause, regroup, and now we're going to be getting going, and by April we'll be shooting and on track to bring this thing home."

During the Zoom conversation, Garcia was seated before his statues of Superman and Darkseid. "You know how much I love this project and from conceptualizing to you know, figuring out what our statues are going to be so I can have them behind me, to all the fun stuff that comes to the universe we're making," Garcia says. "We have such high ambitions and such high hopes for this and we just really can't wait to make the fans proud."

Black Adam: Pierce Brosnan Cast as Doctor Fate

Production on Black Adam is nearing its start date and a major piece of the cast has been revealed as The Hollywood Reporter brings word none other than Pierce Brosnan will appear as hero Doctor Fate! The former James Bond actor joins Dwayne Johnson as the titular anti-hero in the film alongside his fellow Justice Society members Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher; Aldis Hodge as Hawkman; Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone; with Marwan Kenzari (The Old Guard) and Sarah Shahi (Person of Interest) in undisclosed roles. Filming on the movie is scheduled to begin in April in Atlanta with Johnson teasing the start of it all earlier this week.

Though a number of different versions of Doctor Fate have been featured in DC Comics before, Brosnan will take on the part of Kent Nelson, the original Doctor Fate as seen in More Fun Comics and All Star Comics. Wearing the cloak, amulet, and helmet of Nabu, Doctor Fate is a master of magic with countless abilities up his sleeve including flight, strength, telepathy, flame spells, and countless other powers. There's limitless possibilities for the character in live-action on the big screen so director Jaume Collet-Serra will have plenty to throw at the titular Black Adam. It was previously reported that DC and Warner Bros. had "big" plans for the Doctor Fate character.

"Like most kids growing up, I dreamed about being a superhero," Johnson previously said. "As a kid, Superman was the hero I always wanted to be. But, a few years into my fantasy, I realized that Superman was the hero, I could never be. I was too rebellious. Too rambunctious. Too resistant to convention and authority."

Not a lot of chatter in here so I'll just talk to the wall. This movie is STACKED with characters it may as well be titled Injustice League at this point. Black Adam, Hawkman, Cyclone, Isis, and now Doctor Fate? How in the world do you just throw that many new characters in a movie and hope to explore them all in ~2.5 hours? I hope it's good I really liked Shazam, but this seems like a whole different ball game.