• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE starring Jared Leto (2022)
4 4

541 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2022 at 10:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'll repeat what I've been asking on other modes of social media:

Worse than the 90's Batman films? Green Lantern? Wonder Woman 1984?
Worse than The Incredible Hulk? Captain Marvel? Black Widow? Eternals?

Doubt it.

Nothing can be worse than the sequel to Wonder Woman. However this is a great meme

Morbius Overcomes Awful Reviews To Win The Weekend At The Box Office

When Josh Trank's Fantastic Four arrived in theaters back in 2015, its box office performance was synchronous with the absolutely dreadful critical response. The would be blockbuster, which had a troubled production and a reported budget of $120 million, opened with a lackluster $25.7 million take, and it ended up only making $167.8 million worldwide by the time it was done playing on the big screen. 

Such a fate has seemingly not struck Daniel Espinosa's Morbius this past weekend, however, as the comic book movie has survived a critical drubbing and had a modestly successful debut at the box office.

Film critics (admittedly including myself) tore Morbius a new one following the lift of the review embargo last week, but the terrible buzz evidently wasn't enough to undermine the popularity of modern comic book movies. Reporting from before the release of reactions put box office estimates between $33 million and $50 million, and the results are a midpoint between those numbers.

A take of $39.1 million means that Morbius has had the third biggest opening weekend of the years, with the numbers being just big enough to beat out Aaron and Adam Nee's The Lost City, which made $31 million in its debut last week. It fell short of surpassing the total put up by Ruben Fleischer's Uncharted back in February, the video game adaptation starring Tom Holland having made $44 million in its first three days, and it came nowhere close to matching Matt Reeves' The Batman, which earned $134 million at the start of last month.

Morbius.PNG.1797cffb491ec86439059ec10039bf74.PNG

I'll repeat what I've been asking on other modes of social media:

Worse than the 90's Batman films? Green Lantern? Wonder Woman 1984?
Worse than The Incredible Hulk? Captain Marvel? Black Widow? Eternals?

Doubt it.

90s Batman films are great for camp value, only hated by those who wanted gritty Batman and had a short memory for the Adam West era. Morbius wishes it could be half as memorable as a single Mr.Freeze line of dialogue.

Green Lantern, hot mess but visually colourful and had some concepts that excite (OA) - still bad but I would rather have this to stare at over anything depicted in Morbius.

Wonder Woman 1984 - Haven't seen it and have zero desire to watch it, so Morbius wins by default :D

Incredible Hulk - You might have something there as my brain as literally scrubbed that movie from my mind so I'm going to assume it was worse than even I remember. Will not open that memory vault and let Morbius win this. Was this the movie with desert jellyfish floating around (which I recall being the only thing I enjoyed about it)?

Captain Marvel / Black Widow / Eternals - Now I know you can't be serious, those were average at worst and all at least had something going for them combined with much better scripts and pacing (not to mention cinematography / visuals)

On 4/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Captain Marvel / Black Widow / Eternals - Now I know you can't be serious, those were average at worst and all at least had something going for them combined with much better scripts and pacing (not to mention cinematography / visuals)

Captain Marvel maybe. I'll eventually watch the movie myself, and right now there's no way that I can fathom Morbius being worse than Eternals; Whose only redeeming quality is the visual representation of Celstials.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Captain Marvel maybe. I'll eventually watch the movie myself, and right now there's no way that I can fathom Morbius being worse than Eternals; Whose only redeeming quality is the visual representation of Celstials.

Eternals was an odd duck. I could sense a good movie somewhere in there under all the bloat (could have cut like 45 minutes and remove the entire deviant evolution plot without any impact to story). The visuals were there and it had some genuine good moments (for characters I never cared about) but it got so sloppy and unfocused.

I love Morbius as a character much more than the others (Cpt. Marvel, Eternals, Black Widow, Hulk), so any enjoyment from this movie is just getting the chance to see him explored on screen - but putting that nerd bias aside I can't see it being anything more than barely mediocre movie when compared to other more competent films both in the same genre or outside of it (color grading, editing, --script, pacing, sound mixing etc)

I feel the milage on Morbius is highly based on those wanting more Spider-Man stuff and happy to have any sort of exploration of that universe - regardless how it turns out. Fantastic Four never had the connections and fan drive anything Spider-Man adjacent has, so comparing box offices with those older failures seems a little mismatched. 

Edited by Sauce Dog

The good thing is the MCU always pays attention to every detail

Well...that's different (:

On 4/4/2022 at 10:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm seeing a lot of, "it's not that bad" posts on social media.

same here, and that rotten tomatoes score from the audience is interesting.

Yeah Captain Marvel is not in that same category, though I get how one can put it there. I myself felt very underwhelmed by that movie when I first saw it. But right now, (borat voice) my wife and I are watching the MCU films in chronological order just for fun and Captain marvel ends up way earlier rather than being sandwiched between Infinity War an Endgame and I gotta say that film is much better than many phase 1 and 2 MCU films. While Iron Man 2 and 3 were rough to sit through again (Iron Man 2 is just really bad but Iron Man 3 while competent is a very frustrating watch), Captain Marvel felt like a welcome surprise. My TV had better lighting than the cinema, so that helped tremendously and since I had already seen it, I was now ok with the climax being earlier than anticipated.

It's the film that changed the most for me on a second viewing.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:48 AM, William-James88 said:

...While Iron Man 2 and 3 were rough to sit through again (Iron Man 2 is just really bad but Iron Man 3 while competent is a very frustrating watch), Captain Marvel felt like a welcome surprise. My TV had better lighting than the cinema, so that helped tremendously and since I had already seen it, I was now ok with the climax being earlier than anticipated.

Iron Man 2 is always better than I remember every time I re-watch it.

We're gonna have to meet in Merced, CA if you keep disparaging Iron Man films like this. :sumo:

On 4/4/2022 at 11:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

We're gonna have to meet in Merced, CA if you keep disparaging Iron Man films like this. :sumo:

Haha. Just comes to show that we all have opinions which buck the desired trend. I found new mutants fine, you like Iron Man 2, @D84 has fun with Steel and @Bosco685 likes BVS (original version too or do you only defend the director's cut?). And honestly, I like it better that way, that we have fun with what other people may think is bad rather than try to prove why a film is bad and why someone should not like it.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, paperheart said:

Lower opening BO weekend than bomb Daredevil from 2003 when average ticket prices were 45% lower. Huge success :golfclap:

Speaking of going against the grain. I was 15 when Daredevil came out and the whole family went to watch it and we all loved it. Evanescence rang through my house non stop for months. 

Also, I just want to add that I don't think anyone doing that Darth Maul or Predator Meme actually thinks Jared Leto is in the worst DC/Marvel films ever. It's just a funny meme since with all the amazing content coming out these past years, he has ended up being the only mainstream Joker that was not met with any excitement/praise (I mean, the other 2 sandwiching him both were academy award winning performances, like WOW) AND he is in a run of the mill mediocre Marvel film that no one really asked for. So it's obviously hyperbole, but we all know where it's coming from.

Worse than the 90's Batman films? 

I know you didn't mean to include all 90s Batman films (I think) but I always take the opportunity to bring up Batman Returns. I LOVE that film. It's such an odd duck. That film was not made for anyone other than Tim Burton at the time but audiences have caught up to it. Don't know how good a Batman film it is but it is my favourite Tim Burton film, and  consider it his Magnum Opus.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:41 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I believe the common idea is that the movie needs to earn back twice its production budget to break even (in order to account for marketing and other costs) so at this point it sits in the dud category but its still too early to call it.

The numbers are what Sony reported just before the weekend after word started to get out about the film after the embargo lifted and people started to take issue with the quality and lack of Spider-Man connections (or any other Sony property connections from the trailers being absent), but that just feels like Sony moved the box-office goal posts closer so it would make for better press (as then outlets can report it made its target numbers for that weekend - a positive spin)

Thanks for that Sauce Dog, yeah too early to call. Not a bad start though. It has $84 Milion opening week-end worldwide on a budget of $75 Million. So reaching $150 Million doesn't seem out of reach. I'm actually really curious as to how this film does. No dog in the race, just curiosity in seeing if there is a disconnect between us here on the boards and the broader film audience.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:58 PM, William-James88 said:

and @Bosco685 likes BVS (original version too or do you only defend the director's cut?). And honestly, I like it better that way, that we have fun with what other people may think is bad rather than try to prove why a film is bad and why someone should not like it.

I think you may be surprised how many people on here enjoy BVS. Just the louder ones would lead you to assume everyone hated it but the hardcore DC fanboys. At the time a survey was posted to finally get the common take from board members. Turns out the most frequent score was 8.0/10 no matter how many tried to drive down the average (the result that can trick you into assuming EVERYONE saw it as weak).

BvS_CGC_poll.png.8ec0003f12977a9ac7cee011de1a8e6e.png

I had a good time at the theaters with friends when I saw this. But it was clear some odd editing took place in certain scenes. But once the BVS UE was released and it was clear what went on, I have never watched the Theatrical Cut again. BVS UE is a great time all-around.

On 4/4/2022 at 3:13 PM, William-James88 said:

Thanks for that Sauce Dog, yeah too early to call. Not a bad start though. It has $84 Milion opening week-end worldwide on a budget of $75 Million. So reaching $150 Million doesn't seem out of reach. I'm actually really curious as to how this film does. No dog in the race, just curiosity in seeing if there is a disconnect between us here on the boards and the broader film audience.

But that is to just break even. 

$100,000 less domestically than estimated. Not bad for a film that opened up to horrible critic results and mixed moviegoer ratings. Time will tell if this flops or something a little better than this.

SonyVerse_BO220404.thumb.PNG.24915f52a4651233008985b0d8fd1e0f.PNG

Oh, you wait and see all the junior Hollywood accountants that come rushing into a thread when they want a film to fail. That profession is amply staffed.

happyface01.png.315ffce4350abe4cee006f43a1715c54.png

(:

On 4/4/2022 at 4:50 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've always liked it. Watched it a few times myself.

Not that many.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Also keep in mind the disconnect between ages. There are lots of younger people who might have reconsidered seeing this just because of how dumb the Morbius sweeps meme has been, being part of a relevant ongoing joke is amusing (especially if you are otherwise not sure what else to see or do that day, might as well go check out that car fire over there for the lols, more-so if you are already into superhero stuff anyways). Apes strong together, even in theatres.

Edited by Sauce Dog