• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE starring Jared Leto (2022)
4 4

541 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2022 at 8:11 PM, William-James88 said:

I always had a hard time scoring BVS (we'll stick to the ultimate cut for this discussion to be on the same page). Some of the choices just don't sit well with me and truly stop me from enjoying the film. Like everything about Eisenberg 's Luthor (just one of the many examples). But it's not a bad movie, I recognize that, it's just not for me. 

I think that if we take out the verbal tics that Eisenberg used in his performance, people would have been more accepting of his Alexander Luthor Jr. I consider his character neither a positive nor a negative for BvS, as there are moments of Luthor brilliance and there are also moments that I think could have been left on the cutting room floor.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that if we take out the verbal tics that Eisenberg used in his performance, people would have been more accepting of his Alexander Luthor Jr. I consider his character neither a positive nor a negative for BvS, as there are moments of Luthor brilliance and there are also moments that I think could have been left on the cutting room floor.

Is there any component to the film that you see as a net negative?

On 4/5/2022 at 7:49 AM, William-James88 said:

Is there any component to the film that you see as a net negative?

Cramming too many plots into one 3-hour movie. As much as I love BvS, the Death of Superman deserves its own Justice League vs Doomsday movie. There are some select pieces of dialogue that I think are objectively bad, such as Bruce Wayne's poem saying, "diamond absolutes...what falls is fallen". It's a 4.5/5 to me, so there isn't too much that I think hurts the movie, but it's definitely not perfect.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't seen Batman Returns in ages, but I strongly suspect that Morbius is better than the Kilmer and Clooney Batman movies.

Morbius would need to have his own themed bat-creditcard in order to compete (or at the very least twice as many nipples)

On 4/5/2022 at 11:20 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Morbius would need to have his own themed bat-creditcard in order to compete (or at the very least twice as many nipples)

I never thought about this before: Find an image of the Bat Credit Card and get it printed on my debit card.

On 4/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I never thought about this before: Find an image of the Bat Credit Card and get it printed on my debit card.

There are a lot of card companies that will allow you to select custom images for your cards. 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:30 PM, wombat said:

There seems to a massive disparity on Rotten Tomatoes between critic and audience scores. 16% critic/70% audience. That's not normal, right?

You need to look into the Morbius Sweep - that 70% is going to go up even more still (it's not entirely meme based though, I'm sure a good deal of audience enjoyed it well enough, but there is a certain unique meme hype around this movie more than any other 'bad' Sony/MCU film released thus far)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/5/2022 at 9:30 PM, wombat said:

There seems to a massive disparity on Rotten Tomatoes between critic and audience scores. 16% critic/70% audience. That's not normal, right?

When you look across social media and break out from the negative echo chambers of "must hate this film" you happen across those liking the film. Though naturally they admit it does have it's faults. And not those Leto hardcore fans posting this is THE GREATEST FILM EVER. Those posts are just pitiful.

FPl0Lq4VcAIoMBt.thumb.jpeg.2817ae67eeaebfbe44b372e2fc7b5b11.jpeg

These things happen.

This movie was interesting to me.  It was not terrible.  In fact, it mostly managed to avoid the kind of huge gaping plot holes that plague most comic book movies (and lets face it, most movies period).  And the acting and effects were above-average-to-good.  Jared Leto can be very hit or miss for me, but he was fine in this.  

But.  

It was soooooo...flat?  There was an origin story here, and the frame of a very standard superhero movie built up around it, and then everything that might have made it interesting or clever, or just different in some way was left out, and we were left with this kind of empty shell of a movie that went from plot point A to B to C to get to the pre-determined end, with zero surprises or deviation along the way.  Like a fill-in-the-blank superhero movie.

Maybe it wouldn't have seemed that way to someone who hasn't seen as many movies as I have, but for me, it was like, comical, how predictable it was.