• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE starring Jared Leto (2022)
4 4

541 posts in this topic

To expand on this meme-pump, I find the numbers behind those joking about the movie (and promoting it) to be very interesting when compared to the actual 'serious' discussion.

Morbiussweep has a very comparable amount of mentions/interactions/shares/likes when you factor in the much smaller reach (this is obviously due to the #morbius tag being used by official news outlets for reviews and promotions, while the meme tag is only used by those in on the joke. Of course most people using the meme tag will also be using the prime tag as well, so you get both values pumped.)

The dumber the discussion is around Morbius being a joke film (regardless of if you feel that is true of it or not) means much better numbers for the film overall. Or, to put it another way LLEEEEERROOOYYYY JENNNKINNNSSSS

813060038_ScreenShot2022-04-04at4_14_32PM.thumb.png.1afab3978b965b8e006761d26665f336.png
1422846860_ScreenShot2022-04-04at4_20_26PM.thumb.png.8ccb6811a6c41cd54ff0902e4be70921.png

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, Sauce Dog said:

To expand on this meme-pump, I find the numbers behind those joking about the movie (and promoting it) to be very interesting when compared to the actual 'serious' discussion.

Morbiussweep has a very comparable amount of mentions/interactions/shares/likes when you factor in the much smaller reach (this is obviously due to the #morbius tag being used by official news outlets for reviews and promotions, while the meme tag is only used by those in on the joke. Of course most people using the meme tag will also be using the prime tag as well, so you get both values pumped.)

The dumber the discussion is around Morbius being a joke film (regardless of if you feel that is true of it or not) means much better numbers for the film overall. Or, to put it another way LLEEEEERROOOYYYY JENNNKINNNSSSS

813060038_ScreenShot2022-04-04at4_14_32PM.thumb.png.1afab3978b965b8e006761d26665f336.png
1422846860_ScreenShot2022-04-04at4_20_26PM.thumb.png.8ccb6811a6c41cd54ff0902e4be70921.png

It's very important to you to ensure it is clear this film is horrible. That's clear! But then posting you were going to raise funds to help me through this....

priceless-dave-chappelle.gif.7ebd7c3b3c76a5da68b96c7317826072.gif

:roflmao:

On 4/4/2022 at 4:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

It's very important to you to ensure it is clear this film is horrible. That's clear! But then posting you were going to raise funds to help me through this....

priceless-dave-chappelle.gif.7ebd7c3b3c76a5da68b96c7317826072.gif

:roflmao:

I honestly don't get what you are on about. I do think the movie turned out to be garbage, but I find the discussion around it being trash entertaining and something worthwhile that came out of it - a stance many people also agree with, have some fun and lighten up, Francis. Talking about horrible things is great, but you can still enjoy the mess if you like :D

On 4/4/2022 at 5:08 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I honestly don't get what you are on about. I do think the movie turned out to be garbage, but I find the discussion around it being trash entertaining and something worthwhile that came out of it - a stance many people also agree with, have some fun and lighten up, Francis. Talking about horrible things is great, but you can still enjoy the mess if you like :D

In the party to celebrate its 'failure' you missed there were folks that said they actually had a decent to good time with this film. But that would be counter to the celebration theme.

So how comfortable do you think the average board member is going to be when they see the trash block party while you try and "get me" fine sir? Most probably not the average contributor, as why would they want the headache, Francis?

On 4/4/2022 at 11:48 AM, William-James88 said:

same here, and that rotten tomatoes score from the audience is interesting.

Yeah Captain Marvel is not in that same category, though I get how one can put it there. I myself felt very underwhelmed by that movie when I first saw it. But right now, (borat voice) my wife and I are watching the MCU films in chronological order just for fun and Captain marvel ends up way earlier rather than being sandwiched between Infinity War an Endgame and I gotta say that film is much better than many phase 1 and 2 MCU films. While Iron Man 2 and 3 were rough to sit through again (Iron Man 2 is just really bad but Iron Man 3 while competent is a very frustrating watch), Captain Marvel felt like a welcome surprise. My TV had better lighting than the cinema, so that helped tremendously and since I had already seen it, I was now ok with the climax being earlier than anticipated.

It's the film that changed the most for me on a second viewing.

I've stated the same thing.... wasn't really disappointed at the theater... just meh.... it was much better on a second viewing~

Given how terrible the reviews for this evidently are I find it more than just a little notable that it opened larger than Spider-verse did, with no China and no prime Christmas vacation schedule on a much smaller budget.hm

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 4/4/2022 at 4:05 PM, paperheart said:

:roflmao:this flop will be fortunate to reach half of Spider-verse total and evidently will not be picking up a best picture Oscar

Nobody cares about "oscar winning" anything,, and we will see what the final take will be.  

And, as previously mentioned, spider-verse also cost a lot more, had a plum release schedule , and China (60× million there alone).

But I'm sure you knew all this already.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 4/4/2022 at 7:11 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Nobody cares about "oscar winning" anything,, and we will see what the final take will be.  

And, as previously mentioned, spider-verse also cost a lot more, had a plum release schedule schedule , and China (60× million there alone).

But I'm sure you knew all this already.  

-J.

Take heart, Jaydog - two folks here have said Morbius was better than Carnage.

But you know…that’s like saying Steel was better than The Spirit. At a certain point, it’s all just a black hole of suck…

On 4/4/2022 at 4:15 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Take heart, Jaydog - two folks here have said Morbius was better than Carnage.

But you know…that’s like saying Steel was better than The Spirit. At a certain point, it’s all just a black hole of suck…

Well I never debate the quality of a movie for a reason. Lol

-J.

On 4/4/2022 at 7:17 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Well I never debate the quality of a movie for a reason. Lol

-J.

Unless you do.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse beat two key Disney animation films. That's how big a win it was for the hobby. But you go!

:headbang:

On 4/4/2022 at 4:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

Unless you do.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse beat two key Disney animation films. That's how big a win it was for the hobby. But you go!

:headbang:

I'll repeat - no one cares about "award winning" anything , let alone cartoons.  

And yeah we will just ignore that it was the lowest grossing "spider-man" movie by half and that , as far as "award winning" cartoons go , it s the 3rd lowest grossing of all time ahead of only rango and spirited away (a foreign language cartoon).

-J.

On 4/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think you may be surprised how many people on here enjoy BVS. Just the louder ones would lead you to assume everyone hated it but the hardcore DC fanboys. At the time a survey was posted to finally get the common take from board members. Turns out the most frequent score was 8.0/10 no matter how many tried to drive down the average (the result that can trick you into assuming EVERYONE saw it as weak).

BvS_CGC_poll.png.8ec0003f12977a9ac7cee011de1a8e6e.png

I had a good time at the theaters with friends when I saw this. But it was clear some odd editing took place in certain scenes. But once the BVS UE was released and it was clear what went on, I have never watched the Theatrical Cut again. BVS UE is a great time all-around.

I always had a hard time scoring BVS (we'll stick to the ultimate cut for this discussion to be on the same page). Some of the choices just don't sit well with me and truly stop me from enjoying the film. Like everything about Eisenberg 's Luthor (just one of the many examples). But it's not a bad movie, I recognize that, it's just not for me. 

On 4/4/2022 at 8:11 PM, William-James88 said:

I always had a hard time scoring BVS (we'll stick to the ultimate cut for this discussion to be on the same page). Some of the choices just don't sit well with me and truly stop me from enjoying the film. Like everything about Eisenberg 's Luthor (just one of the many examples). But it's not a bad movie, I recognize that, it's just not for me. 

I respect that. Nobody is going to enjoy every one of these films. They won't!

But the proclamation this was trash and one board member going as far to announce he was going to protect other board members from seeing this made for interesting times back then.

Edited by Bosco685

On 4/4/2022 at 8:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

I respect that. Nobody is going to enjoy every one of these films. They won't!

But the proclamation this was trash and one board member going as far to announce he was going to protect other board members from seeing this made for interesting times back then.

See, that's what I don't like to hear, people going out of their way to reduce someone's enjoyment of a film. In the end, these films are not made with the intention to be bad, especially if they come from a visionary director like Snyder who really put his heart and soul into these films. So if people find enjoyment, then that's awesome, no one should take that away.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:58 PM, William-James88 said:

Haha. Just comes to show that we all have opinions which buck the desired trend. I found new mutants fine, you like Iron Man 2, @D84 has fun with Steel and @Bosco685 likes BVS (original version too or do you only defend the director's cut?). And honestly, I like it better that way, that we have fun with what other people may think is bad rather than try to prove why a film is bad and why someone should not like it.

Speaking of going against the grain. I was 15 when Daredevil came out and the whole family went to watch it and we all loved it. Evanescence rang through my house non stop for months.

Also, I just want to add that I don't think anyone doing that Darth Maul or Predator Meme actually thinks Jared Leto is in the worst DC/Marvel films ever. It's just a funny meme since with all the amazing content coming out these past years, he has ended up being the only mainstream Joker that was not met with any excitement/praise (I mean, the other 2 sandwiching him both were academy award winning performances, like WOW) AND he is in a run of the mill mediocre Marvel film that no one really asked for. So it's obviously hyperbole, but we all know where it's coming from.

I love the BvS UE. The Theatrical Cut is relatively mediocre.

I used to shamefully enjoy Evanescence. Now, IDC what anyone thinks, I really like Evanescence.

I've seen some people who believe it... Until someone asks about other worse Marvel/DC movies lol. I personally don't find memes funny when I know they're wrong, but that could just be me. (shrug)

On 4/4/2022 at 3:05 PM, William-James88 said:

I know you didn't mean to include all 90s Batman films (I think) but I always take the opportunity to bring up Batman Returns. I LOVE that film. It's such an odd duck. That film was not made for anyone other than Tim Burton at the time but audiences have caught up to it. Don't know how good a Batman film it is but it is my favourite Tim Burton film, and  consider it his Magnum Opus.

I haven't seen Batman Returns in ages, but I strongly suspect that Morbius is better than the Kilmer and Clooney Batman movies.