• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE starring Jared Leto (2022)
4 4

541 posts in this topic

I saw it today with someone,  we both knew nothing going in. That helps, but I have to say:

It's a decent origin movie and doesnt precursor to any future fallout, but there has to be all the same.

It lingered, and I'm not much for vampires or the like. I enjoyed it! So did my other.

That was what I like about movies just to sit down and watch, and while some it was familiar through what I've heard in past era, ive heard nothing recently.

Tried to stay away from it, so if I had to compare, it reminded me of dr strange, which may have been the last origin I've watched. That or venom.

Ranking would put strange first, moebius a close second, and venom a close third. I'm just glad all of them are things i hadn't run into a million times. 

On 4/3/2022 at 12:18 AM, Bosco685 said:

hm

It's true. The old jokes do end up on repeat at times.

:baiting:

Did I repost? 

:facepalm:

Apologies @Gatsby77

On 4/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Did I repost? 

:facepalm:

Apologies @Gatsby77

No harm done.

But after a while you will see trends like this when a movie comes out weak. You'll see a feeding frenzy take place to one-up who can trash it the most.

It's a 'thing' that occurs.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:03 PM, D84 said:

Fant4stic got a C-? That's generous.

I still feel bad for the main cast of that film. They were left to defend their work alone, though they had no production control and if anything had to deal with all the on-set turmoil between Trank and Fox.

What could have been. :(

A very interesting article from Richard Newby about perceived reaction even before a film releases leading to people celebrating a film's failure so as to justify the dislike.

What do we want out of comic book films?

It’s a question I’ve been grappling with recently, particularly because so much of my writing revolves around those movies. I don’t have superhero movie fatigue. Not even close. But I am fatigued by so much of the discourse surrounding these movies, the bad-faith arguments, preemptive ratings and tribalism. If these movies are going to continue to be our most popular form of entertainment, which by all indications they are, then I think we need to take a step back and re-evaluate why we even like these movies to begin with and what our expectations are.

The reaction surrounding Morbius has left me somewhat disillusioned by the notions of subjectivity and giving films their fair shot. Morbius is a film I enjoyed quite a lot and think maintains the spirit of the ’90s comic books I grew up reading. I was thoroughly entertained. That’s not the consensus, and that’s OK. The film is currently sitting at a harsh 15 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, with a higher audience score of 64 percent, but I’ve never been obliged to base my enjoyment on consensus.

I’m not troubled by those who genuinely didn’t like it. Though I think “worst Marvel movie since Josh Trank’s Fantastic Four” is severely exaggerated, considering that film was barely a movie. It’s not even the worst Marvel movie in the past five years, but I digress. What I find troubling is the number of critics and potential audience members who’ve been inclined to trash this movie since it was announced, taking to social media to repeatedly voice their disdain at the very concept of a studio other than Disney making a film about a character they’re unfamiliar with.

The delays from COVID-19 only extended that issue, giving more time for folks to sharpen their knives because of some misbegotten idea that the only way to make superhero movies is the way Marvel Studios does it, and sometimes, and I stress only sometimes, how Warner Bros. does it. And I can’t help but wonder if people actually care about these characters, or are they just in it for a cameo from someone more popular or the teaser for the next thing so that they can keep the hype train moving and never have to sit back and reflect on a story on its own terms.

I simply can’t place my faith in reviews and opinions from critics or audience members who have spent their months wishing for the film’s failure, went into the theater looking for things to hate, handing out half star ratings on Letterboxd while admitted they haven’t seen it, and upset that Spider-Man doesn’t show up in a movie that’s not about him. Yet, that hate is popular. It receives social media engagement, encourages hyperbole and turns film criticism into a game of memes, a competition of who can lay down the sickest burns in an age where we think of almost any form of mass distributed entertainment as “content,” rather than something made by people who more often than not care about their work.

So frequently, it feels that any superhero movie that’s released has to be forced into the realms of “best” or “worst.” Every Marvel Studios project that comes out carries the expectation of it being “The best ever!” I say this as a fan, but “best” has lost its meaning in that regard. Take Moon Knight for example, which premiered this week. It’s a good debut, but already it’s being proclaimed as “the best Marvel series premiere ever,” which OK, I’d be more inclined to value if that wasn’t also said about Hawkeye, Loki, The Falcon & The Winter Soldier and WandaVision.

The same thing could be said in regards to DC Films “finally finding its footing.” You’d think that after the critical reception to Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey, Joker, The Suicide Squad and The Batman that it’s fully stable, but that narrative doesn’t gain as much traction on social media as the idea that DC is chasing Marvel and stumbling in the process. The language through which we discuss these movies has become rote and stale, their value determined though accuracy to the source material by a majority too unfamiliar with the source to make that kind of call, and too egocentric to admit it.

Unfortunately this is the environment we operate in now where consensus fandom drives the train. And I notice some of his callouts match some of what we see here at times with new MCU productions being the best ever (see Moon Knight thread) or "Give it back to Marvel Studios" as the perception leading to excessive reviews afterwards to justify the hate. Along with 'DC is chasing Marvel' leading to heated debates.

@CGC Mike some of the trends we can see on here where people justify their dislike through selective box office results, blind allegiance statements towards a given studio or forced negative reviews no matter the experience. Leading to the atmosphere of discontent and steady disputes.

On 4/3/2022 at 7:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

A very interesting article from Richard Newby about perceived reaction even before a film releases leading to people celebrating a film's failure so as to justify the dislike.

Unfortunately this is the environment we operate in now where consensus fandom drives the train. And I notice some of his callouts match some of what we see here at times with new MCU productions being the best ever (see Moon Knight thread) or "Give it back to Marvel Studios" as the perception leading to excessive reviews afterwards to justify the hate. Along with 'DC is chasing Marvel' leading to heated debates.

@CGC Mike some of the trends we can see on here where people justify their dislike through selective box office results, blind allegiance statements towards a given studio or forced negative reviews no matter the experience. Leading to the atmosphere of discontent and steady disputes.

Counterpoint: No.

There were plenty of reasons to dislike this film well before seeing it. That the final project ended up being about as bad as foreseen isn't some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy - it's merely predictable.

The reasons?

1) This project was suspect from the beginning - because Morbius is such a minor character in the Marvel (even Spider-Man) mythos. It can be done (see Blade) - but that's the exception, not the rule.

Venom? Sure. He was one of the most popular comic book characters of the '90s - and that popularity endures.

Morbius? Not so much. He's the Marvel equivalent of if DC opted to do a tragic Shakespearean solo film about Man-Bat.

2) The trailers for this were laughable.

3) The lead. Jared Leto is an actor I actually like, but who has damaged his reputation with his over-the-top method acting over the last decade, well-deserved Oscar or no - AND (separately) gained the scorn of comic book fans at large for his off-key Joker portrayal.

4) The massive delays - which weren't just Covid-related, but also so they could juggle the release so this came after Spider-Man: No Way Home - and shoe in a very late-in-the-game reshoot after-credits sequence that would only make sense post-No Way Home.

There was *plenty* of reason to pre-judge this film - and that pre-judgement seems validated by the critical response.

That smacks of New Mutants - knowing you had a turd on your hands but had to release it eventually.