• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE starring Jared Leto (2022)
4 4

541 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

Just trying to keep up with your ever-shifting made-up Hollywood accounting practices.

The Batman is at 3.6x production budget. Morbius for now is at 1.7x. How do those two align?

Batman, after a second weekend down 50%, was at $486 million or 2.43x production budget. Morbius, after a second weekend down 70%, is at $126 million or 1.68x production budget. Now in the Bizarro accounting world, if you round Batman down to the nearest whole number and round Morbius up to the nearest whole number, they are both at 2x production budget. Also in the Bizarro accounting world, if you round Batman's 2nd weekend decline up to the next ten and round Morbius's 2nd weekend decline down to the next ten, they both declined 60%.  Therefore, performance to date has been virtually identical. #mathishardfordogs

On 4/10/2022 at 8:05 PM, Jaydogrules said:

So... just trying to keep up with the ever shifting narratives here and there ...

The ("Still Less Than 2016 Suicide Squad With No China") Batman was "raking it in" at 400MM box office (2x production), but morbius is DOA in its second weekend at 1.68X (just 24MM short of 2x)?  (shrug)

-J.

Your weekly reminder that The Batman has out-performed "Still Less Than 2016 Suicide Squad With No China" weekend by weekend -- and week by week -- across nearly every metric so far.

Not only is its domestic total well above Suicide Squad's, but its worldwide total currently stands at 98.4% of Suicide Squad's -- with some gas left in the tank. And it will surpass that sometime this week. *Despite* being available to watch on HBO Max in less than 2 weeks.

So either they're both successful (true) or they're both embarrassing failures (false).

Edited by Gatsby77

On 4/11/2022 at 2:53 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Your weekly reminder that The Batman has out-performed "Still Less Than 2016 Suicide Squad With No China" weekend by weekend -- and week by week -- across nearly every metric so far.

Not only is its domestic total well above Suicide Squad's, but its worldwide total currently stands at 98.4% of Suicide Squad's -- with some gas left in the tank. And it will surpass that sometime this week. *Despite* being available to watch on HBO Max in less than 2 weeks.

So either they're both successful (true) or they're both embarrassing failures (false).

Both statements are incorrect when you factor their relative budgets and that suicide squad had no China.  

The correct statement is , suicide squad, a truly terrible film, performed demonstrably better than the most recent, "well reveiewd" Batman movie.  

That is not a compliment to suicide squad it is an indictment of the batman movie.  Even now it is still at a below average multiple and will be doing well at this point to even reach "average".

It should have done a lot better business.  Period.  Especially in the wake of no way home.  It won't even get within $100MM of homecoming which came out like 5 years ago.  

"Meh" is still the word for that.  

-J.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:02 PM, paperheart said:

Batman, after a second weekend down 50%, was at $486 million or 2.43x production budget. Morbius, after a second weekend down 70%, is at $126 million or 1.68x production budget. Now in the Bizarro accounting world, if you round Batman down to the nearest whole number and round Morbius up to the nearest whole number, they are both at 2x production budget. Also in the Bizarro accounting world, if you round Batman's 2nd weekend decline up to the next ten and round Morbius's 2nd weekend decline down to the next ten, they both declined 60%.  Therefore, performance to date has been virtually identical. #mathishardfordogs

Wow.  You really whiffed this one didn't you.

Who said anything about second weekend grosses ?  My point is that people are, absurdly, declaring morbius a "failure" when it is nearly at a 2x multiple (less than 24MM shy), and yet batman was a runaway smash at the same multiple:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latestly.com/socially/entertainment/hollywood/the-batman-box-office-collection-day-8-robert-pattinsons-dc-film-crosses-the-400-million-mark-worldwide-3467209.html/amp

Are people really this bad at keeping their narratives straight?  I mean seriously, at least be consistent with your analyses. 

Read this post more than once this time before you reply.  

(Also, as a matter of note, Batman was at 463MM after two full weekends with absolutely no competition, not 486.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2022/film/box-office/batman-box-office-robert-pattinson-second-weekend-1235203008/amp/  )

-J.

I watched Morbius for the second time...

...well technically, I just reopened the movie so I could scrub through a few parts in order to double check if I missed something that was nagging me - but the movie was technically played a second time! Question to those whose mind didn't wander entirely; did they ever explain why Milo was able to eat and drink without issue but Morbius got sick and couldn't keep anything down? That is literally the one dumb detail that stuck in my mind for some reason. 

On 4/12/2022 at 3:30 PM, paperheart said:

Comic book movie BO bombs, consecutive days > $1 million US

Birds of Prey: 13

Dark Phoenix: 12

Fantastic Four: 10

Morbius: 10

image.thumb.png.2ccd5730ec69af525dc28861482c1fc5.png

Jonah Hex would like a word: 3 

Starred two major Oscar winners and ultimately grossed $10.5 million domestic against a $47 million budget.

And this was in 2010, well after the release of such comic book films as Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:41 PM, Beastfeast said:

*<*
 O

M̸̱̾̉̅͗̓̐́̒͛̊̕ơ̸̰̜͈͕̫̻̬̩̬̤̮͇̘̹̳̳̮͉̓͋̐̈́̆̉̎̾͗̇̀̽̑̓̚ͅr̴̢͍̯̺̳̟̖̹̙̗̠̀̈̐̀̈́̈̐͝b̸̨̡̫̺̰̣͕̟̙͓̖̽̓͗̃̐̍̏̀̍͐̎́̃͝͠i̶̬͘͘͠͝u̸̘̻̱̮̻͔͖̟̮͈̦̫̝͔͇̣͇̇̀͛̊̿͑̎͗̑͑̿́͌̎̕̚͘͝s̸͈̼̱̭̘̙͔̪̟̯̹̱̮̃̾̈́͑̄͜͝ͅS̸̼̭̯͛͂̄̋w̷̡̛̘̃̿̌̓͂͛̚e̴͎̭̠̣̱̣̞̮̻̦̯͊͊̑̏͝͝é̵̡̧̱̣̙̻͍̤͇̹̝͇̳̍̒͂͂̏p̶̢̨͓̝͇̺̙͕̱͎̭͍̞̥̂͌̍͛͂͋̃̽͒̽̌̋̑̊̉͊͠͝ͅ

On 4/16/2022 at 10:17 AM, chrisco37 said:

Was anyone clamoring for a Madame Web movie?  Or even Kraven for that matter?  
I wouldn’t hold my breath for anything good.  
How do you expand the SpiderVerse without Spider-Man in the movie?  Who cares?  

I hear you...I really do.  But were we clamoring for Guardians Of the Galaxy?  Iron Man?

I'll say this...I HOPE they turn it around.  If they don't maybe they'll make some drastic changes.

***Maybe more collaborations with the MCU?

On 4/16/2022 at 4:27 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I hear you...I really do.  But were we clamoring for Guardians Of the Galaxy?  Iron Man?

I'll say this...I HOPE they turn it around.  If they don't maybe they'll make some drastic changes.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Kraven. 

First - JC Chandor is a phenomenal writer and solid director. While he didn't write Kraven, his screenwriting experience should help inform the film.

Second, while I'm ambivalent about Aaron Taylor-Johnson, the supporting cast of Ariana DeBose and Russell Crowe are (frankly) better than the film deserves.

Especially if they go with the twist that Crowe's playing not just Aaron Taylor-Johnson's father but the *real* Kraven.

We'll see...

Edited by Gatsby77

On 4/16/2022 at 4:27 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

It really is an odd assumption that something must be bad in advance - we didn't ask for it.

If not for a producer throwing a Deadpool comic into Ryan Reynold's hands during Blade Trinity who was asking for that movie?

If not for Del Toro and Mike Mignola partnering to shop around a Hellboy -script for years and ignoring all the rejections, who was begging for that movie?

Who picked up Caliber Presents #1 and thought moviegoers really are demanding a Crow film for sure with a dead musician revenging his girl?

Sony just needs to tear the bandaid off and make things right with Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire, and do something amazing with them as go-forward appearances. No Way Home breaking all sorts of records proved nostalgia won out on a mini Spider-Man franchise that has been okay - not great.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:18 PM, Jaydogrules said:

My point is that people are, absurdly, declaring morbius a "failure" when it is nearly at a 2x multiple (less than 24MM shy), and yet batman was a runaway smash at the same multiple.

Noting for the record, that after 3 weekends, Morbius has still not reached that 2x multiple.

#MathIsHard

Edited by Gatsby77