• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

With that news I think as a realist the big story is there will most likely not be a Justice League 2 now. I was looking at some numbers and The Legend of Tarzan by Warner had a budget of 180 million and had box office of 356 million. So Tarzan almost doubled its take and Warner still pulled the plug on a sequel. JLA is going to lose money,so I can't see why they make a sequel to Justice League. It seems now it will be a one and done just like Green Lantern.

If I am Warner I now focus on solo movies and forget team up movies. They must do that and also get away from the Justice League,BvS and Man of Steel Snyder/Cavill/Affleck brand to salvage the DC universe. 

Immediately focus on Wonder Woman,Aquaman,Deathstroke and Lobo as fatigue has now set in on Batman and Superman.

Why? I guarantee the next Affleck Batman and Cavill Superman would do worst box office than Justice League, BvS and Man of Steel.

Ask ourselves this.

Would DC/Warner risk another round of Snyder Superman or Batfleck movies again?

Answer: No.

It is over for this particular DC brand of Snyder/Cavill/Affleck.

Time to move on and focus on Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

With that I look forward to Aquaman and Wonder Woman 2.

I don't need to see an Aquaman movie and Warner dumping $160MM into that movie with that character played by that actor is just more incompetent film making that will more likely than not end up costing them more money. 

And I really do hope Boscoe will stop knowingly posting false figures for this film's budget in his chart.  While those charts are certainly helpful and provide a convenient at a glance look at how our latest and past super hero movies are faring, not so much when false data is being provided.  

To wit @Boscoe685: here is an article from November 7, which cites a Wall Street Journal article (that I cannot fully access because I am not a paid subscriber ) also citing the correct budget of $300MM.  The WSJ cites sources directly at Warner for that article.  Is that good enough for you , or do you need the sources to be "named"?

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/11/07/justice-leagues-budget-reportedly-revealed

That article may in fact be the genesis of the $300MM figure.  Look man, nothing personal I am simply asking for truth in analytics.  That's historically what I have seen you be about generally, and I like and appreciate that.  Even though it's obvious you are partial to DC films you have (at least until now) mostly impartially reported the box office facts in all of your charts.  Long story short, the act of posting and spreading false information is worse than simply posting nothing if you should somehow really believe you just don't really know the budget of this movie , despite the dozens and dozens and dozens of articles that have discussed it.  2c

-J.

Just got back. First time showing for me.

It was very enjoyable.:golfclap:

Flaws and all, I'm glad they made it vs. none.

The weakness of Batman reminded me of the weakness of Cap in Avengers 1, relative to the rest of the group. It's hard to hide non super-human flaws, in a live action film.

Edited by bronze_rules

Warner Bros. Pictures Crosses The $5 Billion Mark At The Global Box Office For The Second Time In History

WB crossed the huge milestone this year for the second time in its history, mainly thanks to five of its movies surpassing $500M: Wonder Woman ($821.8M), It ($694.2M), Kong: Skull Island ($566.7M), Dunkirk ($525M), and the recently released Justice League which currently sits at $570.3M.

WB’s president of worldwide marketing and distribution Sue Kroll said the following:

“We are thrilled to reach this extraordinary benchmark as we come to the end of an amazing, record-setting year,” said Sue Kroll, WB’s president of worldwide marketing and distribution. “Surpassing $5 billion in a single year can only happen with an incredible level of hard work across all theatrical divisions, as well as the invaluable contributions of the many talented filmmakers and actors with whom we are so fortunate to collaborate. Congratulations to everyone who shares in this success.”

Edited by Bosco685

11 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Just got back. First time showing for me.

It was very enjoyable.:golfclap:

Flaws and all, I'm glad they made it vs. none.

The weakness of Batman reminded me of the weakness of Cap in Avengers 1, relative to the rest of the group. It's hard to hide non super-human flaws, in a live action film.

I never felt that Captain America was weak. He has strengths that add to the team such as his leadership and commanding presence. To quote the wonderful writing of Frank Miller he has "a voice that could command a god...and does."

A scene from Winter Soldier, Cap in an elevator with 10 other trained military guys, and Cap says "before we begin, does anyone want to get off?" then proceeds to kick butt.

While I can't remember which movie it is in, Cap dodges a bullet, and someone asks him how he did that, and cap replies "I can see it". Pretty cool stuff.

I would like to see WB do some different things with Batman: less gadgets and guns, and more physical fighting skills combined with more detective and calculating knowledge.

A great example is from Batman the Animated series, the episode where Batman and Superman first meet. Superman approaches Batman to try to get him to stop what he is doing, and Batman simply grabs him and throws him with some kind of judo toss. It was a dismissive "don't mess with me" toss. Superman looks surprised as he is laying on the floor, then he gets up and with super speed and some power he shoulder checks Batman into the wall. Then scans Batman with xray vision to see who he is under the mask. " Bruce Wayne!?!" says Superman, "You peaked" responds Batman.

Batman then stands up and reaches into his utility belt and brings forth a small piece of kryptonite. He has already studied and prepared for all contingencies and was ready for Superman. 

Batman is confident, knows exactly what he is doing and executes with precision and intimidation and it doesn't matter who he is dealing with. Anything less than this and it doesn't feel like Batman.

Edited by Artboy99

15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I don't need to see an Aquaman movie and Warner dumping $160MM into that movie with that character played by that actor is just more incompetent film making that will more likely than not end up costing them more money. 

And I really do hope Boscoe will stop knowingly posting false figures for this film's budget in his chart.  While those charts are certainly helpful and provide a convenient at a glance look at how our latest and past super hero movies are faring, not so much when false data is being provided.  

To wit @Boscoe685: here is an article from November 7, which cites a Wall Street Journal article (that I cannot fully access because I am not a paid subscriber ) also citing the correct budget of $300MM.  The WSJ cites sources directly at Warner for that article.  Is that good enough for you , or do you need the sources to be "named"?

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/11/07/justice-leagues-budget-reportedly-revealed

That article may in fact be the genesis of the $300MM figure.  Look man, nothing personal I am simply asking for truth in analytics.  That's historically what I have seen you be about generally, and I like and appreciate that.  Even though it's obvious you are partial to DC films you have (at least until now) mostly impartially reported the box office facts in all of your charts.  Long story short, the act of posting and spreading false information is worse than simply posting nothing if you should somehow really believe you just don't really know the budget of this movie , despite the dozens and dozens and dozens of articles that have discussed it.  2c

-J.

If James Wan is still attached to the Aquaman movie, it'll be good and probably do very well.  The guy has a knack for being able to make chicken soup out of chicken mess.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

A great example is from Batman the Animated series, the episode where Batman and Superman first meet. Superman approaches Batman to try to get him to stop what he is doing, and Batman simply grabs him and throws him with some kind of judo toss. It was a dismissive "don't mess with me" toss. Superman looks surprised as he is laying on the floor, then he gets up and with super speed and some power he shoulder checks Batman into the wall. Then scans Batman with xray vision to see who he is under the mask. " Bruce Wayne!?!" says Superman, "You peaked" responds Batman.

Batman then stands up and reaches into his utility belt and brings forth a small piece of kryptonite. He has already studied and prepared for all contingencies and was ready for Superman. 

Batman is confident, knows exactly what he is doing and executes with precision and intimidation and it doesn't matter who he is dealing with. Anything less than this and it doesn't feel like Batman.

That's why the animated Batman will always be the best of all time and they need to put Bruce Timm and Paul Dini in charge of the DC film universe. 

Edited by Chip Cataldo

10 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

That's why the animated Batman will always be the best of all time and they need to put Bruce Timm and Paul Dini in charge of the DC film universe. 

a 20 minute cartoon has better writing than their big budget blockbuster films.

All WB needs to do is come up with a well written -script, and stay true to the characters they have that everyone knows and loves.

19 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

All WB needs to do is come up with a well written --script, and stay true to the characters they have that everyone knows and loves.

Which Batman movies are you concerned with?

Batman (1989), Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were all great representations.

35 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

At one point, I would agree.

Now, not so much after seeing what Bruce Timm did with Justice League: Gods and Monsters, The Killing Joke Movie and Batman & Harley Quinn. Something went wrong with those productions that just didn't seem like his old magic.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Batman (1989), Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were all great representations.

shots fired at Batman and Robin! AliciaSilverstoneBatgirl 4 Life!

also, go back and check out Batman Forever's soundtrack - U2, Massive Attack, offspring, Flaming Lips, Method Man, Brandy, Mazzy Star AND KISS FROM A ROSE.  One of the great modern movie (non-instrumental) movie soundtracks.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

They were all successful at the box office.

I wouldn't call all those movies "great representations" of the character.

Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

also, go back and check out Batman Forever's soundtrack - U2, Massive Attack, offspring, Flaming Lips, Method Man, Brandy, Mazzy Star AND KISS FROM A ROSE.  One of the great modern movie (non-instrumental) movie soundtracks.

Please. Don't make me do it. I promise to be good.

(:

I forgot about that soundtrack. That's a lot of big performers.

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

indeed they were, but Batman vs Superman was not so great. Neither was Suicide Squad. I am not specific to Batman films.

30 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

All WB needs to do is come up with a well written --script, and stay true to the characters they have that everyone knows and loves.

It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult, but they keep getting it wrong, so it must be (shrug)

Just now, Logan510 said:

They were all successful at the box office.

I wouldn't call all those movies "great representations" of the character.

Just my opinion.

No. They actually were great performances of either Bruce Wayne, Batman or both. Just many people's opinion.

3 minutes ago, revat said:

I found the instrumental soundtrack to much like the other works he (Elliott something) did: Interview with a Vampire and The Pelican Brief.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

indeed they were, but Batman vs Superman was not so great. Neither was Suicide Squad. I am not specific to Batman films.

That's why I think with what Snyder had planned for Batman in Justice League (seeking redemption for all this actions in the previous movie - including attacking Superman), that would have been a fantastic next step in his cinema journey.

Suicide Squad, his only appearances seemed to fit the character. Tracking down the villains with limited violence. Even telling Deadshot he didn't want to fight him in front of his daughter.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

No. They actually were great performances of either Bruce Wayne, Batman or both. Just many people's opinion.

Out of all of those movies I only thought one of them got it close. I really don't need other people's opinions to validate what I think or feel about a movie.

I won't argue with financial success, because all of those movies were financially successful.