• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I was thinking this the other day...About BAS and Justice League.

Why are they not using one of the most revered cartoon series of all time as the "building blocks".  I am a "Marvel guy" but by far, my favourite cartoons ever were BAS and Justice League.

With most Hollywood movies, sometimes they "overthink" things (or the suits do) from minor "lets change the suit for NO reason" to major gaffes like say Spider-Man 3 or (gasp) Justice League. I am not saying just make the cartoon "live action" but the blue print for successful DC movies is staring them right in the face.  Basic plots/story arcs, characterizations, interactions between characters, etc.  My judgement could be "clouded" due to my fondness of those shows, but that is my humble opinion.

Agreed. It seems very simple and easy to me. (shrug)

2 hours ago, Batman said:

From The Batman Superman Movie.

Superb.

Yes the exact scene I was describing.

The animated series captures Batman perfectly. Fantastic stuff, don't need to re-invent anything.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Yes the exact scene I was describing.

The animated series captures Batman perfectly. Fantastic stuff, don't need to re-invent anything.

A simple solution: Let Paul Dini and Bruce Timm do the -script for the next movie. At least there would be good characterization.

Edited by sassemble

There's been a series of tweets where people are posting how many times they have gone to see this movie. One person found a fun way of conveying their attendance.

fAgNRIW.png

That person should get a free Cyborg action figure.

47 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

There's been a series of tweets where people are posting how many times they have gone to see this movie. One person found a fun way of conveying their attendance.

fAgNRIW.png

That person should get a free Cyborg action figure.

...and a free ticket to see it a fifth time. ?

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Uh-oh. Bad news.

7U5ji94.png

I have them all now. THE END IS NEAR!

:devil:

where's the flash?  Moving too fast to be captured on film?

45 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Damn. While not unexpected, portions of that article are brutal:

"Joss Whedon, who had been brought on the punch up the dialogue, took over directing, but studio brass recognized that so much footage had been shot already that there were limits to what could be done to improve the picture. Studio executives realized early on that Snyder’s decision to have Steppenwolf, a god-like, all-CGI creation, as the principal antagonist was faulty. In fact, many reviews were particularly harsh about Steppenwolf, criticizing the character for being one-note and the product of unconvincing visual effects."

"Time Warner is said to be frustrated that Warner Bros. leaders continue to bring the director back, especially after “Batman v Superman” was excoriated by critics even though it made money. They are also upset that each new DC film seems to be making less money than its predecessor. Only “Wonder Woman,” with its optimistic heroine, managed to be both a critical and commercial success."

That said, this is the first official-ish confirmation I've seen that Flashpoint is still in the cards:

"A solo “Aquaman” is due out in 2018 and Warners is still developing a standalone Flash adventure. Going forward, Warner Bros. is planning a sequel to “Wonder Woman” that’s believed to be set in the Cold War, and New Line has greenlit a “Shazam” feature."

Edited by Gatsby77

15 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Damn. While not unexpected, portions of that article are brutal:

"Joss Whedon, who had been brought on the punch up the dialogue, took over directing, but studio brass recognized that so much footage had been shot already that there were limits to what could be done to improve the picture. Studio executives realized early on that Snyder’s decision to have Steppenwolf, a god-like, all-CGI creation, as the principal antagonist was faulty. In fact, many reviews were particularly harsh about Steppenwolf, criticizing the character for being one-note and the product of unconvincing visual effects."

"Time Warner is said to be frustrated that Warner Bros. leaders continue to bring the director back, especially after “Batman v Superman” was excoriated by critics even though it made money. They are also upset that each new DC film seems to be making less money than its predecessor. Only “Wonder Woman,” with its optimistic heroine, managed to be both a critical and commercial success."

That said, this is the first official-ish confirmation I've seen that Flashpoint is still in the cards:

"A solo “Aquaman” is due out in 2018 and Warners is still developing a standalone Flash adventure. Going forward, Warner Bros. is planning a sequel to “Wonder Woman” that’s believed to be set in the Cold War, and New Line has greenlit a “Shazam” feature."

Read the end of the article.

Warner Bros. believes that “Justice League” succeeded in one importantly respect: it effectively introduced Flash (a quippy speedster played by Ezra Miller) and Aquaman (the king of Atlantis, portrayed by Jason Momoa). A solo “Aquaman” is due out in 2018 and Warners is still developing a standalone Flash adventure. Going forward, Warner Bros. is planning a sequel to “Wonder Woman” that’s believed to be set in the Cold War, and New Line has greenlit a “Shazam” feature.

So they are putting the blame on Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. Wow!

Warners is expected to name a new person to run point on DC’s films. Geoff Johns, who has partnered with Berg on much of the creative direction of the movies, is expected to continue serving as DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer. Johns, who reports to DC president Diane Nelson, works in areas such as television (and has written various episodes for DC-inspired shows), publishing, and consumer products, in addition to his contributions to the films. Going forward, his work on the films may evolve, and could be more advisory in nature.

Berg and Johns were intimately involved in the production. Berg essentially decamped for the film’s London set, and both men have full producer credits on the picture, which would likely not be the case on future movies. “Justice League” suffered from a difficult birth. An early version, directed by Zack Snyder, alarmed studio executives with its dark tone. That had been the knock on Snyder’s two previous DC films, “Man of Steel” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” After his daughter committed suicide, Snyder eventually left the production before it underwent costly re-shoots.

DC Animation Director Defends 'Batman v Superman' Martha Scene

Games Radar recently posted a piece called "Is it just me, or is the 'Martha' moment in Batman v Superman actually genius?", which once again sparked furious debate about the topic. One major figure from DC Entertainment soon got involved, and offered this defense of Batman v Superman's pivotal moment.

Qiixbh9.png

That's Jay Oliva, the acclaimed director of many of the DC Universe animated feature films and series, including Young Justice, Batman: Assault on Arkham, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, Justice League: War, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 1 & 2. Oliva's work on the animated front has informed some of the DCEU projects like Suicide Squad and Justice League, and he's lent his talent to almost every DCEU films (except Suicide Squad) as a storyboard artist. So, when Oliva drops a line like "But what the hell do I know about Batman," it really needs to be understood in context, to fully appreciate the level of snark in the question.

Oliva hasn't just bee a DC architect, he's also lent his talent to Marvel, directing the acclaimed Doctor Strange animated movie (2007), which clearly influenced the live-action version, as well as doing storyboards for Marvel films like Deadpool, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok. That's all to say: he's about as "expert" as superhero expertise gets.

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

It is a positive thing that Warner/ DC is recognizing the errors of their ways.

I keep saying it: all they need is a well written -script that has their existing characters stay true to who they are and they will have a successful movie universe.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Read the end of the article.

Warner Bros. believes that “Justice League” succeeded in one importantly respect: it effectively introduced Flash (a quippy speedster played by Ezra Miller) and Aquaman (the king of Atlantis, portrayed by Jason Momoa). A solo “Aquaman” is due out in 2018 and Warners is still developing a standalone Flash adventure. Going forward, Warner Bros. is planning a sequel to “Wonder Woman” that’s believed to be set in the Cold War, and New Line has greenlit a “Shazam” feature.

Umm...I did. In fact, I quoted the end of the article -- nearly the same quote you posted above.