• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

actually:

My original design was a fabric based cowl that would allow for easy head movement/ turning as well as easy removal ( the fabric prototype could be pulled back much like the hood of a hoodie as around the neck area was a stretchy material )

DC felt the angry sculpted look of the mask was the way to go instead.

Are you allowed to share any further photos or videos of this being demonstrated?

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

actually:

My original design was a fabric based cowl that would allow for easy head movement/ turning as well as easy removal ( the fabric prototype could be pulled back much like the hood of a hoodie as around the neck area was a stretchy material )

DC felt the angry sculpted look of the mask was the way to go instead.

I would like to have seen that. Do you have any pics?

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Christian Bale wanted to continue on after initially saying he didn't. It would have been cool if they had made that call instead of bailing on Bale. I'll have to find the article where he shared near the end before the Ben Affleck announcement he really assumed there was going to be a $20M offer phone call. So when it didn't come, and Affleck was announced, he was shocked.

I'm glad he wasn't cast. The gritty realism of the Nolan films wouldn't sit well with those featuring flying aliens, fish people and wonder women.

10 minutes ago, Batman said:

I'm glad he wasn't cast. The gritty realism of the Nolan films wouldn't sit well with those featuring flying aliens, fish people and wonder women.

lol

Those first two give certain visions of what these scenes could have looked like.

25 minutes ago, Batman said:

I would like to have seen that. Do you have any pics?

Currently I do not. My assistant took over the Art department after I left and he may have some images but I doubt it being from over 10 years ago.

My design had the molded angry face inserted onto the fabric cowl and sewn around it to keep the definition of the face area but allow for head movement and removing the cowl by pulling it off ( just like the animated series ). The design looked great, functioned well but cost more to make over the completely molded cowl made of dragon skin silicone plastic.

Edited by Artboy99

Looks like Geoff Johns getting a demotion for his short involvement with 'Justice League' is not sitting well with folks that have a conscience. IGN's Mario-F. Robles‏ has dug deeper into what is going on, and how it is impacting WB associates watching executive decisions.

EXCLUSIVE: WB Insider Thinks The Demotion of Geoff Johns Is An Injustice, Describes A Studio In Disarray

geoff-johns_orig.jpg

Suicide Squad was viewed as another creative low-point for DC Films, Wonder Woman was received beautifully, and Justice League was a box office disappointment that was only slightly better-received than BvS. As for the WB's patience with getting past those films and firmly into the Johns/Berg era post-Justice League? If you believe what Variety reported last week, it's virtually nonexistent.

According to the iconic industry outlet, the studio is once again making changes to the DC Entertainment hierarchy following Justice League- despite the fact that we haven't yet seen a full-on production from Johns and Berg yet, and despite the fact that the closest thing we've seen of what that would look like (Wonder Woman) was a stunning success in every conceivable way. The report claims that Berg is moving on to produce non-DC films with a different partner at Warner Bros., and that Johns has- essentially- been demoted. While they note he'll stay on as CCO, referring to his role as evolving and becoming more "advisory in nature" means he's likely heading down the ladder.

At the time, I noted in a vlog with Bill "Jett" Ramey of Batman-On-Film that these changes seemed somewhat minor. Variety had noted that Berg had actually requested the move of WB President Toby Emmerich six months ago, and the mere fact that the studio wants to go back to being filmmaker-driven means Johns was always just going to be a glorified advisor anyway. So these changes seemed somewhat cosmetic and pointless to me. 

But I reached out to my WB insider, and what they had to say turned my take on its head. They paint a picture of a staff that is pissed at the top executives for seemingly hanging Johns and Berg out to dry: particularly Johns:

"It's higher up the ladder. Berg and Johns seem to be scapegoats, as all issues [with Justice League] were execs."

That's what they said last week, essentially pointing out that the executives that opted to rush Justice League into production rather than delaying it to retool things and thus forcing Snyder, Johns, Berg, and- eventually- Joss Whedon to "fix" it on-the-fly are the ones to blame. This week, I reached out for further perspective on the matter, now that the dust had somewhat settled. I pointed out my aforementioned take on the news, and that WB seems to be staying the course after they trotted out the same slate of films at a Comic Con in Brazil (CCXP) this weekend that they had at SDCC last summer.

The insider begged to differ.

Regarding the slate discussed at CCXP:

"Just marketing. It’s all booked in advance. The PR side is push-forward. They can’t go to an event like that and say 'It’s all f*****d!' It’s a bit of a cluster right now."

On the hierarchy shakeups:

"People are upset about Johns and Berg. That came out of nowhere."

Johns, in particular, has become a very sympathetic figure behind-the-scenes:

"The rollover of Johns is messed up. I think it’s just a lot of us were pulling for Johns to be ELEVATED in his role [post-Justice League], and this kind of came out of nowhere. Kind of putting the blame on Johns when it really was an executive issue."

Ouch.

There's hope that Berg could eventually lend Johns some protection at the studio, since his move seems like more a lateral one than a demotion. Emmerich seems quite high on Berg, as per what he told Variety. So there's a chance Berg could stick his neck out and make sure Johns doesn't slide too far down in the power rankings at DC Entertainment. 

We shall have to wait and see. For now, it's looking like the wrong person has been scapegoated, and it's painfully obvious- both to people who worked on the film, and to anyone who's been paying attention.

I discussed this matter on this week's episode of the El Fanboy Podcast , available on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Tune In and everywhere else premium podcasts are found. And I'll be working on digging deeper these next few weeks as things continue to evolve.

Maybe if we make enough noise, we can help Johns get a fair shake. You can make your voice heard by sharing this report, tweeting @WBPictures that they've blamed the wrong person for Justice League's failings, and shining a spotlight on this injustice.

On our own, we're just individuals shouting into the void. Together, we are legion. Let's make them hear us.

I'm not understanding the resistance to what's generally accepted as true, at this point?

Ask google the production budget of Justice League...Google even tells you its estimated at $300M.

I use IMDb for allot of my movie info...and they have listed the same number:

Box Office

Budget:

$300,000,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend USA:

$93,842,239, 19 November 2017, Wide Release

Gross USA:

$213,967,373, 12 December 2017

Cumulative Worldwide Gross:

$614,729,668, 10 December 2017

----------------------------------------------

Oh...and I truly enjoyed the movie...but there is nothing wrong with posting the generally accepted truth regarding the $'s and cents.

Certainly not perfect, but what piece of art is, I still want to see it again.

Nothing like seeing Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg, and the Flash all on the big screen.

Only big negatives for me were; at least tease me w/ Darkseid, and the soundtrack should have utilized more of the original themes.

I'm super excited for Flashpoint, and Shazam, those two stand-alone's have the chance to be great, on a par w/ Wonder Woman.

8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Currently I do not. My assistant took over the Art department after I left and he may have some images but I doubt it being from over 10 years ago.

My design had the molded angry face inserted onto the fabric cowl and sewn around it to keep the definition of the face area but allow for head movement and removing the cowl by pulling it off ( just like the animated series ). The design looked great, functioned well but cost more to make over the completely molded cowl made of dragon skin silicone plastic.

Sounds like a great design. I like the idea of having the moulded face in the fabric cowl.

9 hours ago, philsbackpack said:

I'm not understanding the resistance to what's generally accepted as true, at this point?

Ask google the production budget of Justice League...Google even tells you its estimated at $300M.

As much as I post articles here for people to read and discuss, here is what I perceived took place.

1) WB was holding back on revealing what the real budget is, including the reshoot costs.

2) A Wall Street Journal reporter (a very trustworthy source) posted an article after visiting filming, noting he had been told the budget was 'near $300M'.

WALL STREET JOURNAL: The Quest to Save ‘Justice League’

Significant reshoots brought an already big budget up to nearly $300 million, said people close to the picture.

3) Next thing you know, that became the gold reference because it was the WSJ and it came with a figure. But the message became 'rumored to be $300M or more'.

And if you go to Variety and others, that is still what they are saying. 'Rumored to be', which is why Scott Mendleson posted the following in his most recent article:

FORBES.COM: 'Justice League' Is The Highest-Grossing Box Office 'Bomb' Ever

So the recut over/under $300m-budgeted tentpole...

Sites posting $300M is because WB's hasn't confirmed anything, yet they need a production budget reference point. So reporters went with $300M. Including your IMDb.

So now a few dirtbags (if they can publish I am dishonest for my informed stance, then I can call them 'dirtbags') use this situation to detract from my character. If moderation has a problem with me telling them off, then they might as well ban me. Because nobody else would have to put up with that. Like I'm tricking people so I gain financially over what at one point was just fun details to discuss.

Edited by Bosco685

Here is how one reporter is able to safely use that $300M figure without worrying about final financial details. Not to say 'Justice League' is not struggling financially.

Justice League Is the Most Successful Box Office Bomb of All Time

While budget figures haven't been officially released, it's believed to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 million, and that doesn't count publicity and advertising costs, and it's unclear if that tally also includes the cost of reshoots, which reportedly took much longer than originally anticipated.

It's WB's fault this situation has taken place. But reporters expanding upon that like a zinger because of WB not being upfront isn't fact. It's expanding upon a rumor to drive home the point this movie is in a financial bind.

Edited by Bosco685

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Due to a slight pop in international box office numbers, Justice League creeps up on $625M.

d7fwlsv.png

I'm not sure this movie can make it to $700M now with Star Wars out, and other movies coming very soon.

Think it is going to stall out around $650 maybe $675.

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Due to a slight pop in international box office numbers, Justice League creeps up on $625M.

d7fwlsv.png

I'm not sure this movie can make it to $700M now with Star Wars out, and other movies coming very soon.

No, this movie and its $300MM budget and flimsy 2.083 multiplier  doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell at $700MM.

-J.

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

QRmX4bz.png

The number to beat is $668 million - the total worldwide take of Man of Steel 4+ years ago.

I doubt it will.

Crazy to think that Justice League won't even end up in the top 10 highest-grossing films of the year, either dometically or internationally.

Oh wait - I've seen it. No it isn't.