• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I just didn't want "people" to think I am "trolling" on the movie in general :foryou:  By "plenty to dislike", I meant about the film as a whole, not just about Ezra.  I imagine it would be "interesting reading" if there were ever a "Justice League Paper" to find out about who what and why certain decisions were made that led us to the film that actually appeared on screen.

Does WB have a "comic book division"? I know that Snyder "was" their guy (or was Johns too?) but never in the same way Feige was with Marvel.  I am not saying Feige is perfect but I think one reason Marvel has been so successful is that Disney "allowed" Feige to continue to chart the course of the MCU.  There has been a cohesive vision from nearly the beginning.  People may not "like" the "Marvel Movie Way" in its "formula" but it is hard to argue against its success.

I am not saying WB/DC needs to "copy" Marvel but I do think they need to develop a long-term strategy with their super hero properties, with a steady team in place and let them go to and do their work.  

WB/DC needs to rely less on CGI and develop stories about the characters.  They need to make an audience care about the characters.  Thus, far only Nolan has done that.  The first Superman movie attempted to do that but got Snyder wanted to travel down the dark and "oh woe is me" Superman path.  Seriously, Superman isn't a flawed character.  He's like Captain America.  Both are the standards for what humans should attempt to be.  Going somewhere else is a disservice to the characters and makes the core audience wonder about the direction you are traveling in.

Wanna know what I'd like to see?  How about showing me the Kent's and their interaction with Clark as a child.  Show me how they instilled a sense of worth, and how they raised the most powerful person on the planet with morals and love so he wouldn't turn into a dictator that would take over the planet.

Edited by Lucky Baru

By the way, Mario-Francisco Robles from IGN was so bothered by how WB handled Geoff Johns he created a site to outline the story of the WB/DC situation.

EXCLUSIVE: WB Insider Thinks The Demotion of Geoff Johns Is An Injustice, Describes A Studio In Disarray

Turns out it is getting so much attention, WB executives are engaging with him more to talk about how to proceed forward.

1 hour ago, Lucky Baru said:

WB/DC needs to rely less on CGI and develop stories about the characters.  They need to make an audience care about the characters.  Thus, far only Nolan has done that.  The first Superman movie attempted to do that but got Snyder wanted to travel down the dark and "oh woe is me" Superman path.  Seriously, Superman isn't a flawed character.  He's like Captain America.  Both are the standards for what humans should attempt to be.  Going somewhere else is a disservice to the characters and makes the core audience wonder about the direction you are traveling in.

Wanna know what I'd like to see?  How about showing me the Kent's and their interaction with Clark as a child.  Show me how they instilled a sense of worth, and how they raised the most powerful person on the planet with morals and love so he wouldn't turn into a dictator that would take over the planet.

Doing Superman as a coming of age movie could be an interesting new twist. I do not mean another origin movie, but more along the lines of him initially learning about his powers and who he is.

1 minute ago, drotto said:

Doing Superman as a coming of age movie could be an interesting new twist. I do not mean another origin movie, but more along the lines of him initially learning about his powers and who he is.

Since the premise of Smallville for 10 seasons was Clark Kent coming of age...the challenge would be it's been done. And quite successful.

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'd like to see a Superman movie without Luthor or Zod as a villain.

I think Metallo's probably too derivative of other screen comic book big bads at this point, but what does a brother need to do to see Braniac and/or Bizarro on the big screen?

Agreed!  I would even settle for a well done Parasite or Lobo (which won't happen) ...... I am really hoping for a MOS2 and really wished they hadn't ruined the whole Doomsday/Death storyline ..... ah well.

5 hours ago, drotto said:

I think it would be if they added in how the Kent's dealt with a child as powerful as Clark in situations like him having a temper tantrum.  Noting that DC has shown that they don't follow a continuum is wouldn't be hard to make the movie or to use a part of a movie showing Clark's formative years and how the Kent's overcame what had to be huge obstacles in raising a child as powerful as Clark.

Edited by Lucky Baru

Since this is the Justice League thread, what I would love to see is the buildup to a Legion of Doom vs JL movie. They teased it initially, which was just enough without giving any hint how big this could get.

2018 - Aquaman: Black Manta is contacted by Lex after he escapes from fighting Arthur Curry.

2019 - Shazam: Doctor Sivana, scheming behind the scenes against Billy Batson received an offer to join up with a larger threat to Shazam.

2019: Wonder Woman: Cheetah or Circe run off from losing to Diana. Deathstroke captures the fleeing villain, and asks if she wants payback.

2020: Flashpoint: Seeing his plans thwarted by Barry Allen yet again, Reverse-Flash is the next member of the evil team.

2020: Suicide Squad 2: Since the rumor is Black Adam, sounds like a plan. And the next evil member to join up.

2021: Justice League 2: A massive war begins between the groups, which with this large a cast could become a true two-parter. Heck, now go with DC Universe Online if you want to add the twisted timeline, and Lex realizing all of his scheming led to the destruction of his Earth X planet.

55 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

Pryor?  I forgot about that.  Made me laugh!  Maybe WB will put Kevin Hart in the next Justice League movie as the bad guy.  :wishluck:

Interesting. I didn't see you going for comedy characters. What role would he best play?

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Interesting. I didn't see you going for comedy characters. What role would he best play?

It was more of a commentary about the remarkably bad ideas and follow-through that WB has shown in the comic book based movies it has put out.  That might have flown over your head.  I kind of doubt it though.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

It was more of a commentary about the remarkably bad ideas and follow-through that WB has shown in the comic book based movies it has put out.  That might have flown over your head.  I kind of doubt it though.

Well, if you had the chance to see Kevin Hart in roles with Dwayne Johnson in 'Central Intelligence' and 'Jumanji', you'd see they do a super job of playing off each other in comedy spots. So with Dwayne Johnson associated with WB/DC, one never knows.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Well, if you had the chance to see Kevin Hart in roles with Dwayne Johnson in 'Central Intelligence' and 'Jumanji', you'd see they do a super job of playing off each other in comedy spots. So with Dwayne Johnson associated with WB/DC, one never knows.

I saw Central Intelligence and it was an insult to my intelligence.  Can't say that I liked it or laughed during it.

7 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

I saw Central Intelligence and it was an insult to my intelligence.  Can't say that I liked it or laughed during it.

Interesting. I found it to be a decent popcorn film meant to play on the old spy movies, but with comedy. And with the low budget, this turned out to be a large financial success for something that should have come and gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a sequel.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Interesting. I found it to be a decent popcorn film meant to play on the old spy movies, but with comedy. And with the low budget, this turned out to be a large financial success for something that should have come and gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a sequel.

I always find it interesting that you point to the financials of films as an indicator of how good it is.  If the number of whatever sold, or the dollar amount earned is a good indicator of that then The Bay City Rollers should be one of the greatest rock bands of all time.  Guess what?  They aren't and no one claims they are.

Edited by Lucky Baru

1 minute ago, Lucky Baru said:

I always find it interesting that you point to the financials of films as an indicator of how good it is.  If the number of tickets sold, or the dollar amount earned is a good indicator of that then The Bay City Rollers should be one of the greatest rock bands of all time.  Guess what?  They aren't and no one claims they are.

LOL, I disagree strongly