• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

The number to beat is $668 million - the total worldwide take of Man of Steel 4+ years ago.

I doubt it will.

Crazy to think that Justice League won't even end up in the top 10 highest-grossing films of the year, either dometically or internationally.

Oh wait - I've seen it. No it isn't.

Umm... I'm not sure about the dometic market (wherever that is), but in this case as much as I liked scenes from Justice League, WB studio tampering will hurt them more than BvS or Suicide Squad.

By the way, I saw it too.

Justice League To Finish Theatrical Run At $675 Million To Break Even

Looks like Justice League may well break even after all.

Box Office Guru (via ComicBook.com) brings word that Zack Snyder’s contentious blockbuster is now expected to finish its theatrical run at $675 million worldwide, putting it neck-and-neck with Man of Steel ($668 million). The advent of Star Wars: The Last Jedi had a marked effect on Justice League – ditto for the entire box office chart – resulting in a 57 percent drop for Warner’s superhero epic over the previous week.

That measly $4.2 million domestic haul puts JL‘s grand total at $634 million worldwide after five weeks, and Box Office Guru believes the DC tentpole still has enough gas in the tank to collect an additional $41 million before ending its theatrical run for good. Should this estimation hold true, a $675 million gross would ensure Justice League ranks lower than all other movies in the DC Extended Universe – save for the aforementioned Man of Steel.

All in all, Justice League will be remembered as another blemish on Warner’s track record. A $675 million total is reportedly enough for the film to break even when accounting for marketing and distribution costs, after it was revealed late last month that Justice League would need to clear $700 million just to get in the black. Alas, that figure appears to be just out of reach, which will only lump more pressure on the burly shoulders of Aquaman.

Expect that one to make land on December 21st, 2018.

The sad thing is the top WB executives may excuse this movie's results if it at least breaks even because the studio had so many other winners this year bringing its $5B total.

:frown:

I don't know where that Gitesh Pandya person thinks this film is going to find another $40MM to get it to $675MM internationally given that it is done in China and basically done in North America (only $1500 per theater average last week on 2700 screens means  Jumanji 2, Pitch Perfect 3, and Downsized all on the way this weekend, will be taking the majority of those screens).  

Also, IGN has officially branded this film (along with fellow comic book films Ghost in the Shell and Valerian) with the "f" word (and they are also using the industry-wide accepted budget estimate for this film of $300MM, Bosco's imaginary "$275MM" number on his personal charts  notwithstanding, sorry Bosco).  By this article's assessment, a film like this needs to make 2.5X its budget just to break even, so even if this movie somehow gets to $675MM (very unlikely), it would still be $75MM shy of breaking even, according to this article:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/12/18/2017s-17-biggest-genre-movie-box-office-flops

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Someone hacking a site to voice their complaints. That's an uncommon thing.

Justice League Directors Cut Fan Petition Hacked

With predictions now suggesting that Justice League’s box office total might not break $700M, it’s been a bumpy month or two for what was supposed to be the pinnacle of the DC Extended Universe. Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon’s film had a tricky time with critics, and audiences haven’t swarmed to the film in anything like the numbers Warner Bros wanted.

However, there is still a groundswell of fan support for the film, and that’s particularly been manifested in the petition to try and get Zack Snyder’s longer cut of the movie released. Warner Bros is reportedly reluctant to spend the cash required to make this happen (although it’s still a possibility), but Snyder has long since stepped away from the movie.

Yet in a fresh twist, the petition itself was updated over the weekend with an update that read “Victory!”. Many assumed that this meant that the Snyder cut was on its way. Not so, though, said the petition’s creator, Roberto Mata. Turns out that what had actually happened was that his account was hacked, and the petition erased. With plenty of adult language, his Tweet is here.

The petition is back up and running again now though, and closing in on 200,000 names.

Petition link: Zack Snyder's Director's Cut and Tom Holkenborg's (Junkie XL) Score for Home Release

I'm not sure it gets +$40 million more worldwide either.

It could, but I thnk Justice League's had it's last $1 million day in North America (i.e., this past Sunday). It will be basically gone from U.S. theaters by next Tuesday.

Okay - that's last is an overstatement.

More precisely, it ranked 5th last weekend, and there are six new wide releases playing 2,000+ screens each being released between tomorrow and Monday, so it will drop to # 11 by Tuesday.

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Justice League was actually $2M higher than original weekend estimates due to overseas contributions. So it is currently $38M from $675M worldwide.

N721297.png

Thinking on this more, with the $38M required to hit $675M worldwide WB would have to depend on heavy overseas contribution. That will be tough.

It would have to offer up something more to pull in additional audiences. Like combining it with Wonder Woman again, or even offering some special screening. But that takes away from other movie screenings with fresh material (Jumanji, Downsizing, Pitch Perfect 3). It would be a stretch pulling this off.

Justice League finally breaks $220M domestic.

sMVR5H0.png

TRUTH IN ANALYTICS DISCLAIMER: Due to Warner Bros. Pictures not being forthcoming with the 'Justice League' production budget, it has been researched and assumed to be under, around or above $300M.

Some reporters actually checked with WB sources, and determined it is around $275M +/-.

VARIETY (Ricardo Lopez): Can Warner Bros.’ Expensive, Long-Awaited ‘Justice League’ Deliver the Hit That DC Needs?

The costly superhero team adventure carries a production budget of more than $250 million, according to several sources, and with it, the hope that DC’s interconnected cinematic universe of comic book heroes and villains can deliver huge audiences around the globe.

...Re-shoots, made complicated by the competing schedules of all the actors, lasted two months and cost $25 million.

There was also a Wall Street Journal reporter that determined it is nearly $300M.

WALL STREET JOURNAL: The Quest to Save ‘Justice League’

Significant reshoots brought an already big budget up to nearly $300 million, said people close to the picture.

This has led to confusion across reporting sites, and a fixation on the $300M number leading to reports of the WSJ article as a reference for $300M or more. But some sites, to be safe, are noting the confusion with a below/above figure.

FORBES.COM: 'Justice League' Is The Highest-Grossing Box Office 'Bomb' Ever

So the recut over/under $300m-budgeted tentpole...

Until a credible source can verify the $300M production budget (or more), the last verified figure is utilized ($275M) with an additional dollar to address the 'more than $250M' sources. This also matches the WSJ reporter's claim of 'nearly $300M' verified by people close to the picture.

'Justice League' Blu-Ray Steelbook Artwork Revealed

nbNffvd.jpg

The box art for the upcoming Justice League steelbook edition blu-ray release has been revealed.

Showcased on Amazon, the steelbook will feature each of Justice League's heroes in animated form in what looks like the same location they do battle with the villainous Steppenwolf. Front and center is Batman, surround by Aquaman, Cyborg, Superman, The Flash, and Wonder Woman, from left to right.

The Amazon page claims the Justice League steelbook edition blu-ray will be available "around March 27, 2018."

A friend of mine had two free movie passes so decided to go see Justice League. Probably not going to say anything profound at this point that has not been said already, but here goes.

I wish, after Batman vs Superman, that the other heroes had their own solo flicks to introduce them properly.  Like Wonder Woman.  I think it would have made for a better Justice League, to "care" for the characters a bit more.  

Speaking of characters:

Aquaman:  I am kind of "meh" on the "bad/cool surfer dude"version of Aquaman.  I think they are trying too hard to make him "bad ".

Batman:  Affleck does "ok" for this version of an older Batman but something still feels "off" to me with this version of the character. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Cyborg:  All Cyborg was really there for was to explain plot points/mother boxes to move story along.  Which is a shame too, out of all the new characters, I would have liked to have seen more of Cyborg.

Flash. I know I may be in the minority here...But I did not find his one liners funny. I  found him annoying most of the time.  I don't know, the actor just never clicked as the Flash for me.

Superman:  Biggest complaint, his return was rushed and lacked any kind of emotional gravitas. No complaints given his actual screen time and what he actually had to work with.

Wonder Woman. Again, Gal Gadot did a very good job with what she had to work with.  No complaints.

The plot:  Overall, it just felt very rushed.  It also felt disjointed in parts. This was like Avengers II but not done as well...Some big baddie, instead of hunting for vibranium is globe trotting for mother boxes and at the end has a horde of minions laying waste to some fictional Eastern European country. 

I think this movie should have been fleshed out more in solo flicks leading up to it or made into an epic two-parter.  The villain was weak...Steppenwolf? I still can't get my head around that decision in the first place.  Also, what could have been a cool set up for Darkseid and the New Gods, never materialized and now may never materialize.  

The slow motion action shots...Dear god...I thought I was on SLO MO. Enough already. It was cool in "300", now, not so much.  The CGI seemed rushed in parts.

There were "hints" of great potential though.  There were some nice moments and again, there could have been a more substantive movie here.  Would what was left on the cutting room floor made the movie better?  If there was a single voice on the film would that have helped?  Did the "suits" get involved too much? Or would have been disappointing regardless? I just don't know. I can only judge what I actually saw on the screen.  

Not as horrible as the critics say, but not very good either.  I rate it a 6 out of 10.

On 12/19/2017 at 1:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

sMVR5H0.png

Nice attempt at a dodge. 

Some of this nonsense might have had a smidgen of credibility if even a single source anywhere was still using (or ever used) "$275" as number.  But every single analytic for at least the last month has long settled on $300MM as the number.  All of them.  Hence why the only article (the same, stale article from five weeks ago ) you continue to use despite the avalanche of additional info that has since come out is utterly absurd.  

At this point, since WB has conspicuously played hide the ball with this film's final budget for a reason (something I doubt they would be doing if it was anything LESS than $300MM), so these are ALL estimates at this point.  And the general industry consensus is that it is $300MM.  Is imdb a "credible" enough resource for you ?

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0974015/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

So I repeat , if you aren't willing to report the industry consensus estimated budget for this film , don't post any chart for it at all, because it is better to post no information than Bosco's imaginary mis-information.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Not as horrible as the critics say, but not very good either.  I rate it a 6 out of 10.

Tracking around the average for this film, in the 6.0-7.0 range.

Unfortunately, not enough for fanatical repeat viewing.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

sMVR5H0.png

TRUTH IN ANALYTICS DISCLAIMER: Due to Warner Bros. Pictures not being forthcoming with the 'Justice League' production budget, it has been researched and assumed to be under, around or above $300M.

Some reporters actually checked with WB sources, and determined it is around $275M +/-.

VARIETY (Ricardo Lopez): Can Warner Bros.’ Expensive, Long-Awaited ‘Justice League’ Deliver the Hit That DC Needs?

The costly superhero team adventure carries a production budget of more than $250 million, according to several sources, and with it, the hope that DC’s interconnected cinematic universe of comic book heroes and villains can deliver huge audiences around the globe.

...Re-shoots, made complicated by the competing schedules of all the actors, lasted two months and cost $25 million.

There was also a Wall Street Journal reporter that determined it is nearly $300M.

WALL STREET JOURNAL: The Quest to Save ‘Justice League’

Significant reshoots brought an already big budget up to nearly $300 million, said people close to the picture.

This has led to confusion across reporting sites, and a fixation on the $300M number leading to reports of the WSJ article as a reference for $300M or more. But some sites, to be safe, are noting the confusion with a below/above figure.

FORBES.COM: 'Justice League' Is The Highest-Grossing Box Office 'Bomb' Ever

So the recut over/under $300m-budgeted tentpole...

Until a credible source can verify the $300M production budget (or more), the last verified figure is utilized ($275M) with an additional dollar to address the 'more than $250M' sources. This also matches the WSJ reporter's claim of 'nearly $300M' verified by people close to the picture

2 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Read above where? Just sum it up in one sentence. 

From six posts above your question.

9 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

There is no rational reason.  But here's my best guess:  "Too many people are asking me to put the correct industry wide estimate of $300MM but I just don't want to out of spite at this point and it's MY chart so I'll put what I want."

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

10 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Revat hit it exactly. After the WSJ reporter came out with 'near $300M', the story became '$300M or more' without any final confirmation. Blame it on WB for allowing it to get this far. But the only sourced references are $275M or near $300M.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Revat hit it exactly. After the WSJ reporter came out with 'near $300M', the story became '$300M or more' without any final confirmation. Blame it on WB for allowing it to get this far. But the only sourced references are $275M or near $300M.

Wrong. You're using one stale "estimate" from five weeks ago.  Plenty of other information has come out since then and estimates have been revised to the industry accepted estimate of $300MM.  Nobody is using "$275".  Just you. 

Stop.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules