• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

I always find it interesting that you point to the financials of films as an indicator of how good it is.  If the number of whatever sold, or the dollar amount earned is a good indicator of that then The Bay City Rollers should be one of the greatest rock bands of all time.  Guess what?  They aren't and no one claims they are.

I always find it interesting you find me interesting. :luhv:

But the reality is studios are going to follow up on films that not only caused the right reaction from movie-goers, but also were financially successful. Or did you assume Marvel, WB, Sony and other studios do these films for charity?

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I always find it interesting you find me interesting. :luhv:

But the reality is studios are going to follow up on films that not only caused the right reaction from movie-goers, but also were financially successful. Or did you assume Marvel, WB, Sony and other studios do these films for charity?

Do you always phrase your questions in attempts to belittle those that you allegedly seek an answer from or have you always exhibited passive-aggressive behavior?

Just now, Lucky Baru said:

Do you always phrase your questions in attempts to belittle those that you allegedly seek an answer from or have you always exhibited passive-aggressive behavior?

Wow! You have quite the chip on your shoulder.

But maybe you create those situations the way you come out of the gate with a chat. Like starting since yesterday classifying my response to you as taking offense, when all I did was answer your question. To include on the financial front.

Do you always attempt to make yourself to be the victim?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Wow! You have quite the chip on your shoulder.

But maybe you create those situations the way you come out of the gate with a chat. Like starting since yesterday classifying my response to you as taking offense, when all I did was answer your question. To include on the financial front.

Do you always attempt to make yourself to be the victim?

See, there you go again.  Please re-read my prior post and question.

(Can we get the thread back onto the Justice League movie, and comments about it?)

See, there you go again.  Please re-read my prior post and question.

(Can we get the thread back onto the Justice League movie, and comments about it?)

I was commenting on the Justice League movie. To include posting yesterday how potentially WB could move forward to a JL2.

You, on the other hand, wanted to post about the mistakes of WB casting in the past. You know - the thing you said may have gone over my head.

18 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Since this is the Justice League thread, what I would love to see is the buildup to a Legion of Doom vs JL movie. They teased it initially, which was just enough without giving any hint how big this could get.

2018 - Aquaman: Black Manta is contacted by Lex after he escapes from fighting Arthur Curry.

2019 - Shazam: Doctor Sivana, scheming behind the scenes against Billy Batson received an offer to join up with a larger threat to Shazam.

2019: Wonder Woman: Cheetah or Circe run off from losing to Diana. Deathstroke captures the fleeing villain, and asks if she wants payback.

2020: Flashpoint: Seeing his plans thwarted by Barry Allen yet again, Reverse-Flash is the next member of the evil team.

2020: Suicide Squad 2: Since the rumor is Black Adam, sounds like a plan. And the next evil member to join up.

2021: Justice League 2: A massive war begins between the groups, which with this large a cast could become a true two-parter. Heck, now go with DC Universe Online if you want to add the twisted timeline, and Lex realizing all of his scheming led to the destruction of his Earth X planet.

So how would others see WB/DC moving forward if they wanted another JL movie?

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I was commenting on the Justice League movie. To include posting yesterday how potentially WB could move forward to a JL2.

You, on the other hand, wanted to post about the mistakes of WB casting in the past. You know - the thing you said may have gone over my head.

I made a comment in jest about putting Kevin Hart in the movie as it related to WB's poor decisions that produced a sub-par movie stinker that should have been great due to the characters involved, and the material to draw ideas from.

Edited by Lucky Baru

6 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

I made a comment in jest about putting Kevin Hart in the movie as it related to WB's poor decisions that produced a sub-par movie stinker that should have been great due to the characters involved, and the material to draw ideas from.

Don't let Bosco get to you. He's been trolling in defense of this film since the beginning -- and got the last thread shut down due to his ad hominem attacks.

Edited by Gatsby77

2 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

I made a comment in jest about putting Kevin Hart in the movie as it related to WB's poor decisions that produced a sub-par movie that should have been great due to the characters involved, and the material to draw ideas from.

If you are talking about movies of the past (Steel, Catwoman, Batman and Robin, Batman Forever), I agree. A lot of wasted screen time on films that didn't have a chance to succeed.

If you mean the modern DC movies, I have to disagree on the casting. Other than with Ben Affleck, they should have felt him out further how dedicated to the role he truly is. If he felt it was going to be an easy slam-dunk, he found out otherwise.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Don't let Bosco get to you. He's been trolling in defense of this film since the beginning -- and got the last thread shut down due to it.

Hey everyone, don't let Gatsby get you down. He's been trolling every DC movie he is violently in disagreement with as a gorilla tactic to protest what HE disliked. So no positives need apply!

See, it works both ways.

How does one defend the indefensible? 

Indefensible? Well, fortunately there have been quite a few folks that have posted how much they appreciated Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and experiencing enjoyable scenes in Justice League though recognizing tampering and missed opportunities. And with Wonder Woman - well, that's a given.

What do you see as 'indefensible'?

14 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Don't let Bosco get to you. He's been trolling in defense of this film since the beginning -- and got the last thread shut down due to his ad hominem attacks.

Yawnnnnnnn. Nice try, pal. I remember you being right in the middle of that attack, throwing out unfounded character attacks. Here's seeing things even-handed. It takes more than one to cause a blowup. But you know that.

If I so blindly defend DC movies, why would I reflect on all these missed opportunities that WB threw away with 'Justice League'?

On 12/8/2017 at 3:43 AM, rjrjr said:

I saw this movie recently.  I liked Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman.  I really loved Wonder Woman.  I didn't love Justice League.  I would say Justice League was more like Avenger: Age of Ultron that Avengers.  Both were a squandered opportunity at something that should have been great.

On 12/8/2017 at 7:51 AM, bane said:

SPOT.... ON....

I think with cutting the movie down from 2.5 hours to 2 hours we lost some of the character-building scenes Kevin Smith read off his list of cut and changed scenes, not allowing the audience time to sympathize and bond with each of the characters. Especially the newer ones where telling some of their backstory would have revealed what drives them.

DELETED: Barry Allen saving Iris West by breaking the glass.

DELETED: After taking the Mother Box from Themiscyra, Steppenwolf actually “talks” to the Box. His mother, Heggra’s essence is alive in the Mother Boxes and bringing them all together would unleash her powers – finally giving Steppenwolf an edge over his uncle – Darkseid. That is what his plan was originally. I thought for sure that they would keep this scene in because they used a dialogue from this scene in the trailers – “No protectors here. No Lanterns. This world will fall. You will be free, mother.”

DELETED – Cyborg’s previous life. He plays a great football match that his MOTHER (Yes, she was cast as well) attends. Afterwards, they drive home. Victor is angry that his Dad never made it while his mother tries to console him. Victor just keeps getting angry and lashing out, loses control of the car – causing a fiery crash..

DELETED: After the attack on Atlantis, Aquaman consults with Mera and Vulko over what he should do next. Mera wants him to stay as King because she “doesn’t trust Orm”. Vulko wants him to do what his heart says. Aquaman confesses that he feels a responsibility to help the people on Earth.

CHANGED: Superman’s resurrection was ONLY possible because Cyborg detects foreign genetic material in his DNA a.k.a the Codex. This is the final confirmation needed that Superman can be brought back to life after all. Then, the revival happens pretty much the same.

DELETED: Kent Farm. Superman brings Lois here. however, he is still very confused and not knowing what’s happening. Bystanders are looking at him and clicking his photos. This confuses him further and he actually tries to attack the civilians with his laser-eyes before Lois manages to calm him down. Superman tells her that “the voices won’t shut up”. Later, Martha shows up here and Clark and Lois are already inside the house. Clark is calmer now but still very confused – his powers are going haywire and his senses are heightened. Martha gives the “Picture the world as an Island. Follow my voice and come back to me” speech from MoS. It seems to calm him down. Later, Clark is wearing his shirt when he sees Pa Kent (Yes, Costner was here too) out in the fields. He goes out to see him. Pa Kent talks about “embracing who you really are”. He tells Clark that “you have to make peace with who you are. You have the power to change the world and you can do that as anyone, good character or bad.” Clark finally embraces Superman as a part of him when Lois walks out. Clark confirms their engagement, Lois breaks down because she wasn’t strong enough. Then, Martha comes out too as Clark decides to help the League and flies off. That’s how it happened in my version. I may have paraphrased some dialogue but that was basically it.

If these details are accurate, it exposes how the studio cut out the guts of the film to make it shorter versus more personable, resulting in a flash of exciting scenes without much emotional attachment taking place.

Heck, even with Steppenwolf it would have given him more personality and counter-balance it wasn't about him being all evil. It was to defeat Darkseid, and bringing his mother back. I didn't even realize her backstory was Darkseid had her murdered for betraying him.

Heggra is the sister of Steppenwolf, wife of Yuga Khan, mother of Darkseid(her younger son Uxas) and Infinity-Man (her elder son Drax), as well as the grandmother of Kalibak, Orion and Grayven. All of them, including her, are New Gods of Apokolips. She is also the mother-in-law of Suli and Tigra and Himon, the grandmother-in-law of Bekka as well as the adopted grandmother of Mister Miracle, adopted grandmother-in-law of Big Barda and adopted mother-in-law of Big Breeda.

Eventually, Darkseid learned of Heggra's role in the death of Suli. Now more motivated to see his mother dead than ever before, he had Desaad murder the queen by poisoning her, leaving him as the unopposed ruler of Apokolips.

Tell us that, and it makes it even more apparent why Steppenwolf was doing what he did, and how it was all about revenge against Darkseid. Even if he had to burn down an entire world.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

Reflecting on this more, what a missed opportunity by not having some prequel scene in the beginning showing Darkseid killing Heggra. Kind of like was done in Hellboy: The Golden Army.

Come right out and declare there is this massively dangerous being that rules through intimidation and death. Including against The New Gods. Then go into how Steppenwolf secretly declares vengeange against Darkseid, leading to his actions and the Mother Boxes.

27 minutes ago, Reader said:

I actually saw Watchmen Directors Cut the same day and quickly forgot JL. Still think the best line in a comic book movie was in the prison scene “...I’m not locked in here with you, you’re locked in here with me!” That was probably a Zack line since I don’t recall it in that scene in the book.

Straight out of the comic book.

ivPyVYM.png

27 minutes ago, Reader said:

So I went into this wanting to love it and was disappointed again. I’ll give it another shot if a Directors Cut is ever released.

Posted it in your Director's Cut thread.

:baiting:

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

Thanks Nick, been a while since I read it. I now take the credit away from Zack!

:foryou:

I do think Justice League would have had a much wider appeal if they had left those scenes in introducing all the players. And put more time into developing the backstory of Steppenwolf.

Finding out Darkseid had poisoned the character that is Steppenwolf's mother in the movies (in the comics, it is Darkseid's mother), it would have brought more relevance for his quest into the picture.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Indefensible? Well, fortunately there have been quite a few folks that have posted how much they appreciated Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and experiencing enjoyable scenes in Justice League though recognizing tampering and missed opportunities. And with Wonder Woman - well, that's a given.

What do you see as 'indefensible'?

Experiencing enjoyable scenes?  Great defense...lol  Yep, it is hard to defend the indefensible.